Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My spouse and I were discussing that over breakfast this morning. A very short range BEV will be perfect. If only Tesla had one. Oh well, we’ve lots of small BEV options there. Only slightly sarcastic, we just might do it!

Original Ioniq 28 kWh is one of the best low cost EVs there is if you might drive more than it's range once in a while

Cheap and charges 10-80% is 17 minutes, so despite the low range, if you need to do short road trips, it's doable, and if you take it easy you can break 200 km in one charge

I will need need to get a car soon, my first car actually, never needed one before, really wanted to get an EV but didn't see doable with the prices and what I could afford (without selling TSLA obviously), all cheap options didn't match the range I needed and the possibility of having to charge since they were really slow, until I started looking at Ioniq prices and tests from Bjorn, and multiple route simulations on ABRP

Last edited:
Europe registrations data for April is complete in our wiki:
  • 13,372 Teslas registered (vs. 1404/1352/2868 for Apr 2022/21/20)
  • 107,157 YTD (vs. 60,830/32,733/26,563 for 2022/21/20)
Even the YTD is up 76% YoY, wave is definitely getting flatter as already seen from indivual country data.
We´re now ahead of where we were at the end of August last year!

pubchart

Doesn´t look like "a couple of years of permitting issues couples with protests and lawsuits" can stop Tesla.
Great numbers for all Europe... but Germany, who had only 2420 sales.
A bit disappointed about it, I can't think of a good reason.

For comparison, Germany sales were:
Jan: 4241
Feb: 7710
Mar: 8703

Also, I expect GigaBerlin production to be something between 19 to 22k cars in April.

Last edited:
Tesla was a *startup*.

Also, I expect GigaBerlin production to be something between 19 to 22k cars in April.
Probably the only reason is the time horizon is too small. How Tesla decides to execute their logistics at this start of Q2 can have a big impact on a single month of sales in one specific country. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Tesla was a *startup*.

A big possibility is first Berlin serving EU, and then close to the end of the quarter focusing or Germany to maximize vehicles delivered

Europe registrations data for April is complete in our wiki:
  • 13,372 Teslas registered (vs. 1404/1352/2868 for Apr 2022/21/20)
  • 107,157 YTD (vs. 60,830/32,733/26,563 for 2022/21/20)
Even the YTD is up 76% YoY, wave is definitely getting flatter as already seen from indivual country data.
We´re now ahead of where we were at the end of August last year!

pubchart

Doesn´t look like "a couple of years of permitting issues couples with protests and lawsuits" can stop Tesla.
But ummm 🤔 deeeemannnnnd problems. Heard it from a reliable source.
Maybe. Maybe not. I wouldn’t trust anything like this put out by Goldman. And honestly, I wonder what this chart looks like for Goldman and the like.

A big possibility is first Berlin serving EU, and then close to the end of the quarter focusing or Germany to maximize vehicles delivered
It's what I thought too.
Still, do we know if GigaBerlin is exporting or just serving the EU market?

BTW: I noticed now that April 23 is equivalent to half Q2 2022.
Q2 and Q3 were awful in 2022, so we'll likely get an homerun this year in terms of "mere" growth.

Last edited:

If I were allocating cars from a German factory I would be prioritising other countries first, easier to get cars delivered locally later in the quarter

What's more important is that April deliveries are 1.5x those of January and ~10x compared to April 2022 and YTD are 2x 2022

I'm in Copenhagen for the week on vacation, and there are lots of EV's, I would guess around 10%, of which 70% are Teslas

Original Ioniq 28 kWh is one of the best low cost EVs there is if you might drive more than it's range once in a while

Cheap and charges 10-80% is 17 minutes, so despite the low range, if you need to do short road trips, it's doable, and if you take it easy you can break 200 km in one charge

I will need need to get a car soon, my first car actually, never needed one before, really wanted to get an EV but didn't see doable with the prices and what I could afford (without selling TSLA obviously), all cheap options didn't match the range I needed and the possibility of having to charge since they were really slow, until I started looking at Ioniq prices and tests from Bjorn, and multiple route simulations on ABRP
I would have done that instead of my RJ Volvo Recharge but they weren't here then, nor was the Peugeot e208, my second choice then. The day Tesla, any Tesla, arrives in Brazil I hope they'll still honor my 2016 Model 3 reservation, made the moment Brazilian reservations were accepted on April 1, 2016. I should have known, since my US reservation was made on March 31, the day before.

I would have done that instead of my RJ Volvo Recharge but they weren't here then, nor was the Peugeot e208, my second choice then. The day Tesla, any Tesla, arrives in Brazil I hope they'll still honor my 2016 Model 3 reservation, made the moment Brazilian reservations were accepted on April 1, 2016. I should have known, since my US reservation was made on March 31, the day before.
Yeah

I'm talking outside of Brazil, unfortunately EV here is no go for most, specially since the used market is almost non existent and the ones that there is, still the expensive models

Reactions: unk45
Yeah

I'm talking outside of Brazil, unfortunately EV here is no go for most, specially since the used market is almost non existent and the ones that there is, still the expensive models
Fiat 500e, Chery iq, several JAC models are all less expensive but still charging infrastructure si pitiful. Planning road trips, one from Rio de Janeiro to Southern Minas Gerais, for example, ought to be easy. We're now finding hotels and other places that will allow su to use their outside plugs, just as we did in the US back in 2014.

One major reason to hopeful Tesla to arrive in Brazil is building Supercharger network that will almost certainly be open to all, since there is effectively a CCS standard now in place, so compatibility is not a problem.

During the next years Tesla will be doing this for many countries, plus Tesla Energy for many of them. The numbers will not be like China or Germany but they certainly will not be trivial.
Hopefully Tesla will have some specifics during the Shareholders meeting.

Fiat 500e, Chery iq, several JAC models are all less expensive but still charging infrastructure si pitiful. Planning road trips, one from Rio de Janeiro to Southern Minas Gerais, for example, ought to be easy. We're now finding hotels and other places that will allow su to use their outside plugs, just as we did in the US back in 2014.

One major reason to hopeful Tesla to arrive in Brazil is building Supercharger network that will almost certainly be open to all, since there is effectively a CCS standard now in place, so compatibility is not a problem.

During the next years Tesla will be doing this for many countries, plus Tesla Energy for many of them. The numbers will not be like China or Germany but they certainly will not be trivial.
Hopefully Tesla will have some specifics during the Shareholders meeting.
Just checked Cherry prices, still a lot for what they are

And agree on the charging infrastructure, specially when there is place removing chargers :p

Even the first Leaf’s did very well in very moderate climate locations, but not so well in very hot or cold ones. Without much question, IMHO, the absence of BMS was the crucial weakness. Carlos Ghosn gets credit for the Leaf but his real ‘contribution’ was a “Le Cost Cutter”, with not so much concern for effectiveness.

The contrast with Tesla, and only Tesla, was amazing. It still is, as most legacy OEMs are using third party, often Tier One, suppliers. That is the same process that brought on B787 fires, and continuing travails with pouch batteries, those winning so often because they’re easy to fit in converted ICE.
Hindsight has shown that in general too much of the 787 was outsourced. This management blunder caused tremendous integration problems and cost billions of dollars and many years of schedule delay.

However, the Boeing 787 Li-ion battery fires were not caused by outsourcing per se, and it would not make sense for Boeing (nor Airbus) to produce their own batteries, because the volume is too low and other companies are better at doing the job. I would even guess that insourcing would have increased the probability of a flawed design, all else being equal, because of Boeing’s lack of expertise in this specialty.

Insufficient qualification of the battery and its production system was partly to blame, given that the NTSB investigation report indicated that the supplier’s verification plan did not have a way to detect the type of defect that resulted in thermal runaway incidents. Boeing’s Supply Quality organization should have caught that.

Also, another major factor was that outsourcing was supposed to help as part of a big-picture political negotiation strategy with countries beyond the USA. Boeing is America’s largest exporter by total dollar value, the average transaction size usually exceeds $1B and thus purchases can require major and complex financing deals, often involving the Export-Import Bank. Additionally, many of the customers are foreign governments, both for defense and space hardware and also for jets going to airlines which are often majority- or wholly-owned by national governments which was an even more common ownership arrangement in the early 2000s when the development began in earnest. Establishing deeper overseas supplier relationships for the 787 was a strategy to help improve these overall business relationships.

(I worked at Boeing 2015-2022)

I want to bring this point up because we need to be careful about using superficial analogies with other industries, because apparent similarities might be spurious and lead to learning a false lesson. These reasons and many more make Boeing’s make-buy decisions majorly different from Tesla’s.

Also, Tesla is using plenty of suppliers too, including for most of their battery cells. The question is whether vertical integration is applied where it makes sense and how well the company manages the supply chain for the rest.

1683211107681.png

Last edited:
I think there are likely other dynamics at play when it comes to Europe deliveries, Germany and the UK delivery numbers both came in below what some were expect for the whole of Q1 as well. There are inventory vehicles currently available in both, listings in Germany are near a high and UK inventory is at a high, so what's going on?

Tesla had stronger pricing power in the smaller markets and cut prices much more substantially on the LR trim back in January compared to the price reductions in Germany and the UK, particularly on the Y, which likely created a larger influx of orders that are now being realized into deliveries

europe.png

Looks like problems with water supply for Giga Berlin might soon be a thing of the past, official agency found a new source approximately 10 miles from the factory:

The whole lack -of -water in Berlin story was complete hogwash from the beginning. A means for the German autoindustry to make life as miserable as possible for Tesla, combined with the usual quack Green movement (sponsored mostly by the oil and car industry and Russia). That place is on a marshland, for f* sake. Dig a few meters and you'll find water almost everywhere in that area. No wonder the name Berlin means Marshland - in old Slavonic, since Slavic tribes inhabited that area before.

Maybe now that Giga Berlin is humming, at the beginning of the quarter Tesla supplies rest of Europe and at the end of the quarter ships to Germany where shipping is quicker? Wouldn´t be a new strategy, but on the other hand not what I´d expect when they seem to be flattening the wave...