Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Even Elon admits it was a distraction taking him away from his duties at Tesla.
I don't think that is entirely accurate. I agree Elon has had less time for Tesla since buying the bird (almost by definition splitting his time between two companies to three companies will cause that) but Tesla is still doing very well and Elon is clearly covering the key elements. It's still innovating far faster than legacy OEMs and faster than the Chinese OEMs in many areas (although the Chinese OEMs are releasing more models, keeping up in cost reductions and many are scaling unit volumes faster).

Andrej Karpathy said one of Elon's best skills is injecting energy into the system. If Elon had more time to focus the eye of Sauron on Tesla he could probably do that more - but that would be increasing Tesla's innovation from (e.g.) 3x legacy OEM innovation speed to 5x - but either way he is driving Tesla forward far faster than other companies can manage without him.

We also don't know how much bird time would be devoted to Tesla vs SpaceX vs reducing work weeks from 120hrs to (say) 80hrs-100hrs, which he has mentioned is a more sustainable level. Prior to the bird purchase there were also complaints that Elon was too focused on starship while everything at Tesla was humming along.

You should petition to your new King about changing over to LHD drive. I'm sure many of your countrymen would protest heavily but it would help you to avoid this kind of unfortunate effects for the future. 😁

I know some of my fellow scandiwegians who won't go on holiday to RHD countries because they get confused in the traffic. I know my friend almost got run over several times when we visited. I saved her life at least twice by yanking her back from the road. And people are more afraid to drive on the "wrong" side of the road than of walking.

You could sell it in as a way to get more tourist taxes!

Tesla avoid having lots of options on their cars since that increase cost quite a bit. So I fully understand them not offering RHD on their lowest volume cars. Just like they don't offer leather or dozens of colour combos.

Ps! Years ago I longed after the Skyline but it was only available as RHD and had to be imported from the UK by enthusiast. I never got that enthusiastic.
Can’t salute or display my weapons-free status in LHD.

England is one place. What I wonder at is that Ireland isn't changing to LHD drive. They have an open border with the European Union now, whereas England left the EU. And they don't love the English.
1683974265556.jpeg

Last night on CTV News website (I have been an avid viewer for 40 years, still my daily go to for news) this article title caught my eye (screen image below):
Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 9.12.15 AM.png

Then the video below the title which is clearly a Tesla Model Y burning. So I read the entire lengthy article. It is about a class action lawsuit against ARC Pioneering Safety along with auto makers GM, Ford and Volkswagen. Tesla is not mentioned in the article. So anyone clicking the headline is provided with a two year old video of a Tesla on flames.

CTV News on-line has a reporting tool after each article, so I reported the err. This morning I see that CTV removed the Tesla video and replaced it with a photo image of ARC's headquarters. So all TMC here, if you have the opportunity to send correction notices, please do so. It works.

Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 9.21.37 AM.png

Interesting in the revised article, the reason for Correction did not mention the wrong video and advised that the impact of the claim against ARC, GM, Ford and VW was not as great as earlier stated.

Screen Shot 2023-05-13 at 9.21.53 AM.png

Tesla should not give a red cent to paid media for advertising. It is equivalent to giving your lunch money to the school yard bully.

I want Tesla to do what is needed to make Tesla like Toyota in this respect - not give huge incentive for people to go after Tesla. If you need to place ads in the media to buy their silence … just do it.
Why that would be like walking into Mordor, wouldn't it? Tesla/Elon do not simply walk into Mordor, now do they?

Oh wait... ;)

Many similarities that I see, and many differences. Taking Tesla manufacturing into Texas seems to have been a 3D checkmate move for the company. Only time will tell for sure.

I don't think it's quite time for it yet, but the day Tesla reaches such production levels that they need advertising to move more product, and do it in scale, I predict we'll witness a sea change in the treatment they receive from the media entities that receive the advertising monies. Just a guess.

Elon Musk: "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, and then beat 'em, and beat 'em hard." (No, not a real quote, but I can imagine this was what Elon was thinking when he decided to take Tesla straight into Texas Oil country.)

Tesla should not give a red cent to paid media for advertising. It is equivalent to giving your lunch money to the school yard bully.
Perhaps true, however if the school yard bully turned out to be just the muscle you needed to save humanity and the planet, then you might consider it a logical move. However distasteful. There are many complicated angles to this story, and most chapters have yet to be written, making it very hard to judge the long term outcome.

The sheer audacity and brilliance of Tesla's move into the heart of Mordor (Texas) still has me in a state of shock and disbelief. Genius move.

I don't think that is entirely accurate. I agree Elon has had less time for Tesla since buying the bird (almost by definition splitting his time between two companies to three companies will cause that)
So it's entirely accurate then. The argument that Tesla is doing fine without him is a different topic.

When "Monty" (Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery) was transferred from N. Africa to oversee the D-Day invasion in France, a reporter asked him if he was up to the task.

Monty told him simply, "More resources, larger staff, higher priority logistics, OPERATION OVERLORD (the Invasion of Normandy) should be significantly EASIER." :D

Information warfare is part of PsyOps. The Wall St Journal is their lead Battalion. Their role is to attack, undermine, and erode the morale of their oppostion, with the intention of making them capitulate. Then they pretend it was your idea, and congratulate you for making a good decision.

This is who you are facing, even when they're not in plain sight.

Don't let them win.
“Don’t let them win”!! Hahaha, Lodger you crack me up. I can always count on you and this forum to put a smile on my face everyday.

Yeah our rulers sit at the head of every major corporation and bank in the world, which in turn own our politicians who “direct” the intelligence agencies and the military and the regulatory bodies, which in turn influence the MSM, social media, all major industries, “scientific research” institutions, the stock markets, money supply, interest rates, and channels of trade. They relentlessly destabilize, restructure and privatize everything in their wake, day after day, year after year, while sanitizing the internet of “hate-speech” and “conspiracy theorists” to mould the world into one big smiley-faced, non-divisive, gender-neutral, consumer-friendly Disneyworld. If our rulers wanted to put TSLA at 85 or 400 on Monday and make people believe the sky is green, they could do it, just for chits and giggles. Our rulers have us out-gunned, out-financed and out-witted. Organized crime beats disorganized democracy every day. Always has, always will.

Haha, “Don’t let them win.” That’s a good one, worth at least two knee-slaps, maybe three. I nominate this post for Post of Particular Comic Relief.

#MONEYISNTEVERYTHINGITSTHEONLYTHING

Last night on CTV News website (I have been an avid viewer for 40 years, still my daily go to for news) this article title caught my eye (screen image below):
View attachment 937289
Then the video below the title which is clearly a Tesla Model Y burning. So I read the entire lengthy article. It is about a class action lawsuit against ARC Pioneering Safety along with auto makers GM, Ford and Volkswagen. Tesla is not mentioned in the article. So anyone clicking the headline is provided with a two year old video of a Tesla on flames.

CTV News on-line has a reporting tool after each article, so I reported the err. This morning I see that CTV removed the Tesla video and replaced it with a photo image of ARC's headquarters. So all TMC here, if you have the opportunity to send correction notices, please do so. It works.

View attachment 937294

Interesting in the revised article, the reason for Correction did not mention the wrong video and advised that the impact of the claim against ARC, GM, Ford and VW was not as great as earlier stated.

View attachment 937297

Seems like a good use for that "crack legal team" that Tesla was supposedly assembling....

Okay, it's the weekend, and a time for going off on a tangent.

Today's topic, Conspiracy Theory.

Let's first consider the second term, "theory" as it represents the possibility of something that is yet to be proven. What is necessary to prove this theory? Well, the elements of a Conspiracy, naturally.

What are those elements? Let's look at the definition:

1. An agreement to perform together an illegal, wrongful, or subversive act.
  2. A group of conspirators.
  3. An agreement between two or more persons to commit a crime or accomplish a legal purpose through illegal action.

In order to prove a conspiracy there would be needed inside knowledge of the existence of one or more of these factors.

The question that is less often asked is,

Could something appear to be a conspiracy and not actually be one?

It has always seemed to me that the natural tendency for people to make choices that appear to them to be best in any given moment must be taken into account. Particularly when dealing with corporate decision-makers at many different levels, each making small choices that will add up to a larger effect. This can be what is considered a sort of momentum within a company defined by the limited data set that steers the decision-making for each individual.

What does this have to do with anything?

Well, it seems as likely to me that the choices made at myriad levels within these corporations making up Big Oil, Big Auto, Big Energy, as well as those companies selling advertising and "news," can quite easily appear to be participating together in a grand conspiracy. When, in fact, a lot of it could be the cumulative effect of individuals choosing what appears as the "best choice" in the moment, based upon the information they are using to decide. All by looking out for themselves without having actually conspired with others to achieve any specific goal.

This in no way rules out some degree of conspiracy between some of the decision-makers at various levels. It does provide context to support how the overall effect that appears as an insurmountable level of conspiracy may be less founded in fact.

People will always make a choice based upon what they think is best for them. This will always be based upon a limited amount of data.

Seen from another perspective working with data that wasn't part of the original decision-making process will paint the picture differently.
"They must be conspiring, because..." the accuser hasn't considered how someone else with different data would find that choice to be the best one, for them.

We tend to assume that everyone else has the same information, when that is actually quite absurd to presume at any time. No matter how much any one person knows, it is highly unlikely that any other person has the same knowledge and experience to result in having exactly the same perspective.

Do conspiracies exist? Sure they do.
Can they be easily proven? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Is it possible for something to appear to be a conspiracy when it isn't? Absolutely.
Particularly when we factor in how many people prefer to latch onto the most simple answer and run with it.

Just because Occam's Razor can often provide the most likely answer, it does not come with an absolute guarantee of being right every time. The more complex the system involved, the less effective Occam's Razor will be.

When investing, is it more prudent to make decisions based upon what you know to be factual? Of course it is.

Making the possibility of conspiracy a factor in this investing process should be approached with caution if there are not sufficient facts to demonstrate that mental momentum within corporate structures aren't amplifying the appearance and scope of the potential for a greater conspiracy.

Last edited:
Model 3 page has been updated quite a bit on the design side, no change on specs or anything

So it has. Is this Tesla trolling people into thinking they wouldn't make the effort to update this if a refresh (Highland) was imminent? ;)

Unless actual theft of code occurred, I think this should be viewed more as a positive for FSD than a negative against Li Auto, as it indicates that the way FSD presents information is more or less an ideal concept (or as close as we've found so far), and therefore, everything should look evolve to look like FSD, following the leader.
Until a bad accident happens in the Li Auto equipped car...then of course, it will be Tesla's fault. How would a bad accident in a Li auto be linked to Tesla's FSD? It just does :)

• Funny
Reactions: GhostSkater
View attachment 937289

View attachment 937294

View attachment 937297

Your sentiment in this sentence makes it sound like you are surprised that they did not mention anything about the wrong video :)

Kudos to you for doing your part in fighting the FUD though!

Copied here for future discussion:
Brexit
Remembering that Wales is a thing and has it's own parliament is gonna blow your minds.
Wales is, IIRC, a country. It is also a part of the United Kingdom. Calling it a 'thing' could cause serious discomfiture to some people, making others roll terribly in their graves. Only actors Anthony Hopkins and Richard Burton both Port Talbot lads and more appealingly to some Catherine Zeta-Jones and before here Shirley Bassey, whose non-Welsh parent were wise enough to give birth to her there.

Even King Charles III speaks at least a little Welsh.

FWIW the Welsh voted to remain. The foreigners, mostly English, voted enough to leave that Wales is recorded as voting to leave.

OTOH Tesla seems to only have Cardiff store and service.

Maybe just a trifle of /s

How will the Welsh feel if Scotland succeeds in seceding?