Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hertz has Tesla widely available in the US and Canada at fraction of the price.
depending on your definition of widely available I would disagree heartily.

I'm in Knoxville TN, a metro area with about 1M people, not terribly rural. No Teslas at Hertz within hundreds of miles of me.

In fact the search engine for Hertz only searches 50 miles away and says they don't have any polestars here either.

But I can rent several Tesla's on Turo here.

Hertz has Tesla widely available in the US and Canada at fraction of the price.
Most Hertz locations do not offer Teslas. I've noticed only the locations within a reasonable distance of a Tesla service center/gallery/charger do. If you live in a state or city with a dearth of service centers, you probably won't be able to rent one.

Model 3 will never be available with factory tinted rear windows here. Laws prohibit tint on passenger cars. Only trucks and SUVs can have window tint.

note technically the rear windows on the Y aren't tinted (at least not the way aftermarket tint is done), it's a different shade of glass and it's that color all the way through.

depending on your definition of widely available I would disagree heartily.

I'm in Knoxville TN, a metro area with about 1M people, not terribly rural. No Teslas at Hertz within hundreds of miles of me.

In fact the search engine for Hertz only searches 50 miles away and says they don't have any polestars here either.

But I can rent several Tesla's on Turo here.
Interesting-I had been considering running over to the Knoxville airport Hertz and renting one (about an hour and a quarter away). Bummer that they don't have them, might have to look at Turo. Probably a bunch around Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.

Interesting-I had been considering running over to the Knoxville airport Hertz and renting one (about an hour and a quarter away). Bummer that they don't have them, might have to look at Turo. Probably a bunch around Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg.
$75 - 80 a day is the going rate for a Tesla in Knoxville.

I'd love for Hertz to get even one here it'd drive that price down for sure.

Reactions: FSDtester#1
$75 - 80 a day is the going rate for a Tesla in Knoxville.

I'd love for Hertz to get even one here it'd drive that price down for sure.
If you consider the going rate to be too high there, why not buy another Tesla and you rent it out for what you consider a reasonable rate and see how that works out?

I've also noticed a pretty incredible difference in pricing between locations. Some locations will rent you a $40K Tesla for less than the $15K Ford Fiesta parked right next to it!!!
And it varies a lot depending where you access, if you are in a VPN or cleared your browser cookies

First time I checked I got around $40 CAD / day at Montreal airport for a Model 3, but never saw that price again

While I've seen mixed reaction from 11.4, I think the biggest sign of really good progress is that Rocco is having zero disengagement drives and it's doing pretty well

Even when folks were having really good ones some place else, his location was always really poor, with dumb mistakes. It's important because where he tests the roads aren't complex or busy, just non usual

V11 is way better than anything v10. Now I regularly have uninterrupted drives. I've adopted "is it safe" approach to interrupting, as well as awesome "minimal lane changes" toggle. I have fairly static routes, so I know which lane I have to stick to. Most interruptions are because of wrong lane, and occasionally because of blind abrupt turns with elevation changes, e.g. I know the turn is there, but the car doesn't even see it [yet]. That's where I think the car would benefit from integration with maps for hints like that. Currently my memory knows that the road is there, but the car doesn't have such memory.
Overall, the progress is really good, with an occasional step back (vigilance is still required). It is getting better, smoother, more comfortable, and safer!

V11 is way better than anything v10. Now I regularly have uninterrupted drives. I've adopted "is it safe" approach to interrupting, as well as awesome "minimal lane changes" toggle. I have fairly static routes, so I know which lane I have to stick to. Most interruptions are because of wrong lane, and occasionally because of blind abrupt turns with elevation changes, e.g. I know the turn is there, but the car doesn't even see it [yet]. That's where I think the car would benefit from integration with maps for hints like that. Currently my memory knows that the road is there, but the car doesn't have such memory.
Overall, the progress is really good, with an occasional step back (vigilance is still required). It is getting better, smoother, more comfortable, and safer!
I can mostly get to and from work (which involves neighborhood streets, to feeder roads, to highways) without intervention as long as traffic cooperates, despite some significant construction along the route to and from work.

The gotcha, especially when traffic is around, is that all my exits and entrances are VERY short, to comfortably make them at posted speeds without aggressive yaw rates you pretty much have to start the lane change just before the solid lines become dashed and/or the merge/split starts, so that the tires are crossing the line just as the line becomes "crossable". If I let the car take it's sweet time, even without traffic making life difficult, sometimes that extra second or two it takes before it decides to make the lane change to the exit lane is enough that it ends up cross the solid white line significantly as the exit lane pulls away from the highway, for example. In these cases I typically take over, force the entrance/exit/merge sooner, then give feedback to the effect of it not starting the exit soon enough or whatever the issue is.

For regular, sane length entrance and exit ramps, the car handles it just fine. I just happen to have all the really poorly planned and/or crippled due to construction ones on my route it seems... I have been impressed that so far it's been able to find all the exits that have moved +- a quarter mile due to construction.

That said, every once in a while, it does something bone headed like decide to change lanes away from the route "to follow route", then change back for the same reason (and not to pass slow traffic, often this is on an empty road). There is a stretch of road on my way home where it consistently does this if I don't have minimal lane changes toggled, sometimes more than once.

Once, while indicating via navigation voice and route that it should take the right fork in an interchange, it then proceeded to take the left one instead, to my great confusion (only once so far and possibly it was due to a race condition with pending nav change due to traffic causing a re-route, as it re-routed after due to being on a different path and the ETA actually dropped).

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the recent rumors of the refreshed (aka Highland) Model 3 going into production sooner rather than later have me excited as a "car guy". Unfortunately, as an investor, I sort of hope that isn't true. While it might spark Model 3 sales somewhat (could be a lot if it drives $5k out of costs/price), it could also Osborne Model Y sales since the two cars share so much in common (eg if the new 3 gets a larger screen, it would be reasonable to assume the Y will get the same...hw4 is, of course, another obvious item) - basically, folks "wait" for those items to come to the Y. This is particularly true for those looking to "upgrade" from an existing version of the Y - admittedly, this is just revenue deferred vs. lost.
If anything is going to Osborne Y sales I think it would be people waiting for HW 4.0 and the 48V architecture to be used first in Cybertruck. For me personally I'm waiting for those two things before upgrading my Y.

I really want an X, but it's hard for me to justify spending so much more for pretty much the same car in terms of range and FSD. On the other hand, if Tesla announced the X with a range of 450+ miles, I'd drop my Y today and get an X (assuming they didn't also announce a Y with similar range).

I don't know if this true or not because the story "broke" with Roto-Reuters and their "three people with knowledge of the plan" "who asked not to be identified," but it's been reported recently that Project Juniper is the name for the next major Y refresh, to begin around October 2024.

If anything is going to Osborne Y sales I think it would be people waiting for HW 4.0 and the 48V architecture to be used first in Cybertruck. For me personally I'm waiting for those two things before upgrading my Y.

I really want an X, but it's hard for me to justify spending so much more for pretty much the same car in terms of range and FSD. On the other hand, if Tesla announced the X with a range of 450+ miles, I'd drop my Y today and get an X (assuming they didn't also announce a Y with similar range).

I don't know if this true or not because the story "broke" with Roto-Reuters and their "three people with knowledge of the plan" "who asked not to be identified," but it's been reported recently that Project Juniper is the name for the next major Y refresh, to begin around October 2024.
If you camp, have older not so flexible, passengers, or use child seats, the X is da bomb. It's also more comfortable.