Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would say you are marketing your garage sale. (Unless you paid someone else to post the flyers.)

According to you Tesla has been advertising since the beginning. If that is the case, then why are people asking Tesla to advertise when they have been all along?

Yes, you are accurate according to a dictionary, but that isn't how people are using the term "advertise" in relation to Tesla.
Depends on the dictionary (many go with "usually paid", but not all)...
Definition: Advertising is a means of communication with the users of a product or service. Advertisements are messages paid for by those who send them and are intended to inform or influence people who receive them, as defined by the Advertising Association of the UK.
What is Advertising? Definition of Advertising, Advertising Meaning - The Economic Times

... then why are people asking Tesla to advertise when they have been all along?

People (Tesla and TSLA owners) are likely asking, because people have been conditioned (via advertising) to get an ego stroke by seeing an advertisement for something that they have already purchased.

If others aren't seeing an add for something we know is fabulous we have to suffer the ego-crushing aspect of others not being adequately hammered by ads about what we love.

As for Tesla advertising, until the company is at the point that production is significantly exceeding sales it seems wasteful to spend profits on ads. Though there is some wiggle room for providing content like Elon described that provides entertainment and educates people on the features and benefits that are part of the ownership experience.

Depends on the dictionary (many go with "usually paid", but not all)...

What is Advertising? Definition of Advertising, Advertising Meaning - The Economic Times
GM is not paying me to post this. Is it an advertisement?

Tesla is not paying me to post this. Is it an advertisement?

Either they are both advertisements (this is the answer) or neither is an advertisement. It is not one or the other based on whether someone paid to play it. GM PAID to have that advert aired during the Super Bowl.

I suppose you can call them both "Short informative videos promoting a product or company" instead. Maybe we should go with that.

• Funny
Reactions: Tes La Ferrari
So was it the announcement by DeSantos that he will announce he's running for POTUS in a discussion with Elon Wednesday on Twitter what has driven the SP down? Can't see any other obvious reason...

Mods, feel free to move or delete this post if you feel it's necessary.
I doubt it, Nasdaq took a dump at about the same time.

So was it the announcement by DeSantos that he will announce he's running for POTUS in a discussion with Elon Wednesday on Twitter what has driven the SP down? Can't see any other obvious reason...

I think perhaps more debt ceiling fears is the cause.

I believe I may have posted this before. Somehow somewhere Tesla did do some small scale advertising/advertisement. I’m sure this wasn’t cheap for the billboard. Guess when I took that photo? Just not understanding why there is such a jam in your throat push for ads.

IMG_3399.jpeg

4/4/2015

I believe I may have posted this before. Somehow somewhere Tesla did do some small scale advertising/advertisement. I’m sure this wasn’t cheap for the billboard. Guess when I took that photo? Just not understanding why there is such a jam in your throat push for ads.

View attachment 940438
4/4/2015
Sure this wasn't some shareholders/fan who did this? I believe there were some fans who knew someone who ran the billboard in NYC and got a Tesla ad on it for free or low cost.

Sure this wasn't some shareholders/fan who did this? I believe there were some fans who knew someone who ran the billboard in NYC and got a Tesla ad on it for free or low cost.

Someone responded (summarizing)- the billboard was taken out for Tesla's service center and therefore wasn't considered "advertising" / "marketing" in the truest form. This billboard was used so the public was aware there is a service center few buildings away. IDK.

As for Tesla advertising, until the company is at the point that production is significantly exceeding sales it seems wasteful to spend profits on ads.
Agreed 100%, but there is a possibility that we are at that point now. Tesla have been making dramatic price cuts, and have also been offering other incentives, especially on inventory models.
I think people get too hung up on advertising being a binary thing. Sure, maybe the model Y in china doesnt need ads right now, but maybe the model 3 long range needs ads in Europe, or themodel Y performance needs ads in Canada...

There is no single global market for EVs, but a ton of little independent markets, in different geographies and price points and vehicle types. I fully expect to see Tesla advertising in a few places, for certain models,

(In fact I'd argue that without the IRA suddenly making all EVs cheaper in the US, that Tesla would already have to be advertising in the US for the 3/Y)

Someone responded (summarizing)- the billboard was taken out for Tesla's service center and therefore wasn't considered "advertising" / "marketing" in the truest form. This billboard was used so the public was aware there is a service center few buildings away. IDK.
You know what I really want Tesla to do? How about a pretty big light up sign of every supercharger station? Not only is it helpful for drivers to find them(which is not always easy as you wonder around a gigantic mall parking lot), but also show ICE drivers that they are everywhere and it's happening!

So was it the announcement by DeSantis that he will announce he's running for POTUS in a discussion with Elon Wednesday on Twitter what has driven the SP down? Can't see any other obvious reason...

Market thinks Elon will be on the ticket for VP.

You know what I really want Tesla to do? How about a pretty big light up sign of every supercharger station? Not only is it helpful for drivers to find them(which is not always easy as you wonder around a gigantic mall parking lot), but also show ICE drivers that they are everywhere and it's happening!
ditto
I think they should put big rotating neon Tesla signs up at all their supercharger stations - like McDonalds does.

So was it the announcement by DeSantis that he will announce he's running for POTUS in a discussion with Elon Wednesday on Twitter what has driven the SP down? Can't see any other obvious reason...

It's not a given that Elon will officially endorse DeSantis during the Twitter interview. A few days ago Elon indicated support for Tim Scott. For DeSantis this could increase viewership for his announcement, and for Elon this could increase interest in Twitter. It may also be designed by Elon to prevent DeSantis from supporting anti-EV and pro-dealership legislation in Florida.