Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Think of this - You are at a supercharger in your Tesla, along comes brand X. You are watching Netflix through the Starlink in your Tesla using the large screen. They have to watch their Netflex on their phone. You are playing a game on the large screen with your kids. They are yelling at their kids because they are bored. You have access to future Tesla restrooms. They have to pay for a membership to have access... The list of these things can be LARGE.

Another aspect of the charger news that I haven't seen widely mentioned...

You can buy a Tesla Wall Connector from Best Buy. How many Ford/GM/(soon to be etc!) owners are just going to buy these instead of other brands?!

Possibly less than you think---

Ford sells one that'll let your EV be home backup (without buying powerwalls)

GM last I knew included one, plus free installation, with bolt purchases- so they might well do that with future EVs that have native NACS.

What brand of coffee did you drink this morning? That post said what I said yesterday but was decidedly more eloquent and I heard British actor voice in my head.

For a moment I thought maybe Ford and GM survive the transition now - only for a moment.

For the record, I put Kerrygold unsalted butter in my coffee.

Think of this - You are at a supercharger in your Tesla, along comes brand X. You are watching Netflix through the Starlink in your Tesla using the large screen. They have to watch their Netflex on their phone. You are playing a game on the large screen with your kids. They are yelling at their kids because they are bored. You have access to future Tesla restrooms. They have to pay for a membership to have access... The list of these things can be LARGE.

Or people actually get out of their cars to take a walk.

Did they stop selling IPads and headrest mounts so kids can play their games or watch their shows while they charge?

Or the Tesla driver is looking at a brand new design wondering why his Tesla is a 10 year design that looks old and boring even though it’s the “new” Highland….Hmmmmm

I was expecting us to muddle around the $200 mark, and hoping decent Q2 could help early cybertruck leaks push us to maybe $250 by Q3, maybe $300 by end of year...
Now I'm thinking $250 is easily a lock. If Q2 is ok, and cybertruck remains on schedule, we could be $300 by first cybertrucks, with a shot at $350 by year end. Lots of potential catalysts to come:

First real production Semis
First Cybertruck test vehicles
Q2 energy revenue
Highland

One thing of interest: The recent charging deals will force people owning F150 lightnings to park right next door to a cybetruck. There will inevitably be conversations, and Ford owners sitting inside a cybetruck. And there will inevitably be the "ok I have to go now, im fully charged" ends to those conversations by cybetruck owners.

Elon must be in fits of giggles at the thought of it.

A little more perspective to share on the operation of the Elonosphere.

Boring Co. began sales of Burnt Hair in October of last year. Which, to me, means that for some time prior to that, Elon et al knew with some degree of certainty what was going to happen almost a year ago. Only after having worked that out did they then decide to have some fun and came up with the idea for selling Burnt Hair.

This precise vision into the future, and the proven accuracy of that vision, has constantly astonished everyone taking more than a casual glance at these seemingly separate companies of the Elonosphere which are in fact an efficient ecosystem that work together, sharing resources, and spreading the talent around as needed to amplify their overall effect.

Meanwhile, we mere Muggles look on and continue to try to pigeon-hole this remarkable, world-changing movement within the old tried and true system we understand where you screw the other guy in order to maximize your own profits. Silly Muggles as we are, unable to see the bigger picture as clearly as does Elon.

As was mentioned above, we are nearly to the point where wide-spread recognition will overwhelm the cognitive dissonance so many have perpetuated. The only alternative will be the expansion of a paradigm shift as the world finally grasps what is going on, and, more importantly, why doing it this way, with the goal being the common good, is so successful.

Who can't get behind this new way of approaching the very concept of growth and profit when every new manifestation brings so much good to all it touches.

Let that sink in.
I don’t know if they knew, knew, but the coincidence is pretty spectacularly amazing. Certainly the string of delays of the product could easily coincide with typical business deal delays - For all we know maybe Ford and GM were supposed to announce at the same time originally. It feels odd and strange to me that GM announces just two weeks after Ford. Two weeks isn’t long enough for a company culture like GM to make such a decision - it’s ‘rash’. So, both companies had to be in talks all along. Ford getting there first and taking the leap first maybe pushed GM to say, ‘Fudge it! We can’t let Ford have the charging advantage when we lead the EV industry.’

Tesla/Elon have definitely grasped the spiritual concept that what you put out into The Universe will come back to you ten fold.

Did they stop selling IPads and headrest mounts so kids can play their games or watch their shows while they charge?
The technology for a physical map, a compass, a digital camera, a book, an mp3 player and various other gadgetry still exists, but people generally find their lives WAY easier if all this is integrated into a single device like a smartphone. Same with games and TV shows in a Tesla. Its just so much simpler, easier, more convenient. Also hard to beat the experience of a kid playing a racing game in an actual car seat with the steering wheel!

Or people actually get out of their cars to take a walk.

Or the Tesla driver is looking at a brand new design wondering why his Tesla is a 10 year design that looks old and boring even though it’s the “new” Highland….Hmmmmm
It's raining. There is a fair chance that Tesla makes other vehicles, just a chance...

I wonder if the Ford / GM deals include any other protocol implementation details other than the Plug and Charge/ISO15118 standards.

While those don't pass VIN, Tesla cars do (or at least they did at one time, even though the supercharger didn't do anything with it).
I always assumed the VIN was how the charger connected to your Tesla account (i.e., credit card).

I prefer a bulky connector over multiple competing standards.
The size of the V3 supercharger connector doesn’t bother me, it is very small and light compared to e.g. a Chademo connector.
Agree, I think people may confuse the CSS standard itself with lack of reliability. Not correct (for Europe at least), Tesla’s chargers are extremely reliable here, even if not NACS.

Agree, I think people may confuse the CSS standard itself with lack of reliability. Not correct (for Europe at least), Tesla’s chargers are extremely reliable here, even if not NACS.

They are, but I still find the charging cable and handle unnecessarily cumbersome. It's just inferior engineering and a waste of material. And for those who aren't so strong, it can be problematic wrestling it into the charging port. I've seen people struggle with this first hand.

"Moats are lame"
-Elon Musk

I don't think Elon views it as "trapping everybody else inside", but rather that a high tide raises all boats.

It's one of the refreshing things about him as a CEO. He doesn't think that to win, others must lose.

But I certainly agree with you point that Tesla will certainly benefit from this in multiple ways...
Any manufacturer who wants to integrate into the NACS will have to give us a peek at their knickers. Imagine that you're Mercedes Benz and you want to use NACS in North America. What does that entail? You have to use Tesla software and integrate it into your own. You need a way to update that software to keep it up to date. Tesla software engineers will be working with your own. You've developed a "relationship" that can be built on. This is much bigger than selling some electricity.

Yes, but isn’t that how lots of industries work? The major OEMs sell their vehicles for little profit, but make it up over the life of the vehicle selling parts and service. I’ve heard here on this forum that many tech companies (like Apple and Google) essentially give their hardware away at zero or little profit in exchange for recurring revenue over the lifetime of the product in software sales, data harvesting, and for other strategic and financial goals. Healthcare uses “community health fairs,” where you lure in a few hundred people with “free tests” over the course of a few days and scare them with “You know sir/madam, you may have pre-hypertension/pre-diabetes/hypercholesterolemia/etc,” which results in doctors appointments and the subsequent lab tests, scans, new prescriptions, etc, that are sure to follow. In any case, at the end of the day Tesla has proven time and again that they are focused on long-term strategic planning and money-making, which is evident in their 10Ks and 10Qs, and can stretch pennies like few others. Stepping back and looking at the big picture, I believe this is yet another huge step forward for Tesla in increasing brand awareness, which sells more Teslas and more of its energy products as more companies are drawn towards its ecosystem while Tesla continues its slow and steady march towards global dominance. And now add tier 1 automotive supplier to TWO major OEMs. Make no mistake: other OEMs are sure to follow.

Sometimes you need to give a little to gain a lot. Sometimes you need to lose a battle to win the war. Sometimes you need to spend money to make money. Sometimes you need to go left (to avoid an obstacle) to go right. Winning in life and in money doesn’t mean winning everything everyday (which is impossible anyway). Tesla knows how to pick and choose its battles, it knows how to win. I don’t care if Tesla is selling a couple products for cost to its competitors—the question is, “Are they winning?” Personally, I think they are. But maybe I’m wrong. The decade is still young, we’ll see what happens.

The market has been open half an hour and we've only seen 50M shares traded.
If they don't pick up the pace soon I'm going to watch Roadrunner and Coyote cartoons instead.

Then again, it could be that is what I'm watching already.

Beep beep!

roadrunner.gif

EDIT: ...and BOOM, there goes the Acme TNT!

Last edited:
Possibly less than you think---

Ford sells one that'll let your EV be home backup (without buying powerwalls)

GM last I knew included one, plus free installation, with bolt purchases- so they might well do that with future EVs that have native NACS.
Dude, neither company can do much of anything right and you’re bragging on their limp angel hair pasta car to home charging. 🤣😂🤣😂

I bought at over $300. I still believe.
I did average down…but bought more at $226 because my cash was having FOMO.

IMO - the fun of investing also includes the pain. Some people put their money in managed accounts and pay more fees. No fun…much more fun to be accountable for your own choices.
OK Everyone, remember to put in _BUY_ orders for $420.69 , helping drag the SP UP ! (I have a bunch pre splits at that price :cool: 🎻 :) )