Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are everyone’s thoughts on this market movement? Do we see a pullback later in the year when the fed starts cutting rates? Rescission thoughts…anyone?
I know all we can do is speculate, but I’m interested to hear your thoughts. As long term investors we see these as buying opportunities because ( I know I’m not alone) I sure as ever would love to see sub 200$ prices again in 6-12 months. Possible?
Anything is possible in this environment. Best to just buy whenever you have $ and we will all be rewarded in the long term.

I think almost all of the major charging equipment vendors have made announcements:
  • ABB
  • AmpUp
  • Autel
  • Blink
  • ChargePoint
  • EverCharge
  • EVgo
  • EVPassport
  • FLO
  • FreeWire
  • i-charging
  • Kempower
  • Tritum
  • Wallbox
  • XCharge
Who I don't see having announced NACS support yet:
  • SK Signet
  • BTC
  • Delta
SK Signet and BTC are currently the main suppliers for Electrify America.
Poor Chademo.

Which I think is really weird, as everyone I know that has rented a Tesla from Hertz complained about all of the tips/videos that Hertz sent them on how to get in, start, etc. a Tesla.

The one non-Tesla owner that I know that rented one said that the emails were great, and that they watched all of the short videos, and then had no issues getting in or driving the Model 3 on their trip...
So perhaps the rental software should include “Are you presently a Tesla owner?” (or something similar) and then if “yes” is checked off, one doesn’t get swamped with the extra emails.

What are everyone’s thoughts on this market movement? Do we see a pullback later in the year when the fed starts cutting rates? Rescission thoughts…anyone?
I know all we can do is speculate, but I’m interested to hear your thoughts. As long term investors we see these as buying opportunities because ( I know I’m not alone) I sure as ever would love to see sub 200$ prices again in 6-12 months. Possible?
The way I invest in TSLA is quite simple.

Don't ever be forced to sell (margin call) and don't ever hesitate to take some profit if there's something else better in life than TSLA.
And most importantly... BUY THE DIP!

How they apply to me:
I minimize my leverage, especially in time like this where borrowing cost is high. I bought my house by taking profit from TSLA because it was our dream home and it was the only way to finance it in a way that I'd be comfortable.

Selling TSLA was not because I wasn't confident in TSLA. It was just a way to enjoy my profit in TSLA and there are bigger things in life than money. My original TSLA made some substantial profit... sold to enjoy.

I bought many of my original shares back during the dip late last year and early this year by selling all my other holdings. Bought on the way down and as well as the way up (low 200 to 115, then all the way back up to 200). The other holdings weren't making much substantial profit, but TSLA's price was too cheap to pass.

In short, never stretch yourself. However, life is too short to be passing everything else just so I could invest in TSLA. Luckily, there aren't that many things better than holding TSLA. :D

Don't try to time the market. You might get lucky sometimes... but you can't be lucky all the time.

Perhaps why they have to travel solo?

Such close-minded people must be a burden to travel with, let alone live with.

Yeah, I get the anxiety one might have, faced with an option like that, especially if it were a last minute decision.

My comment, perhaps on reflection unintentionally insulting, was intended to convey my feeling that those who would believe the things you mentioned they believe is true about an EV, without listening to or ridiculing those who attempt to educate them about reality, is the epitome of a close-minded person.

Okay, you didn't mean to insult, so I'll take back my "Disagree".

But FYI, some of us "solo travelers" prefer to travel alone because we spent decades traveling for work, hewing to the schedules/needs of others, running crews, herding performers (or family members), going to meetings, fittings, conferences, etc.. The ability to go wherever/whenever the wind/whim blows is a real gift, in my case, thanks to Tesla.

Happy Monday!
Lone Wolf

Which I think is really weird, as everyone I know that has rented a Tesla from Hertz complained about all of the tips/videos that Hertz sent them on how to get in, start, etc. a Tesla.

The one non-Tesla owner that I know that rented one said that the emails were great, and that they watched all of the short videos, and then had no issues getting in or driving the Model 3 on their trip...
I've rented a Model Y from Hertz, twice. Once for a week, pickup in Seattle area for a trip to SF Bay area, and once for a week in Southern California. Both time received numerous emails extolling the fun and virtue of driving electric, with helpfull information on using the vehicles. In Seattle area, car had only 40% charge on pickup, and was dirty. Zero inquiry if I was comfortable driving the car. Opposite experience at Hertz in So Cal (Burbank airport pickup). Car was immaculate, 100% (!) charge, and they asked if I was familiar w/ Tesla or had any questions.
Use of cars was flawless both times, that first rental was about 1600 miles round trip and I loved every minute of it.
Second rental, leaving airport garage, woman at check gate asked if I wanted to pre-purchase return fuel without looking up. l was plussed, open-mouthed without an answer. She looked up at me, looked at car, and said "Oh!".
I loved that too.

ARK sold ~400,000 shares of TSLA today

6/12/2023​
DirectionTickerCompany Name
Shares Traded | % of Total ETF​
BuyMETAMETA PLATFORMS INC
150,459 | 0.5091​
BuyTERTERADYNE INC
27,436 | 0.0374​
SellTSLATESLA INC
324,551 | 1.0103​

6/12/2023​
BuyTSMTAIWAN SEMICONDUCTOR
98,170 | 1.0190​
SellNVDANVIDIA CORP
6,803 | 0.2573​
SellTSLATESLA INC
31,466 | 0.7565​

6/12/2023​
BuyMETAMETA PLATFORMS INC
24,389 | 0.5048​
BuyTTDTRADE DESK INC/THE
44,177 | 0.2538​
BuyPSTGPURE STORAGE INC
56,442 | 0.1570​
SellNVDANVIDIA CORP
13,308 | 0.3986​
SellSHOPSHOPIFY INC
82,081 | 0.4025​
SellTSLATESLA INC
37,045 | 0.7053​

Last edited:
Tesla needs to get something set up so rental companies can easily let people use the app on a rental car.

A colleague rented a 3 on vacation, and while their family enjoyed it, it wasn't a full, natural experience.
I've rented MY from Hertz twice. All good, except not having the app access sucks. It is like having 1/2 of the MY utility.

Somebody has to make app access especially for current Tesla owners.

Anything can happen. But 210 is a strong resistance support. I don’t see it going lower than that. Adjust your limits accordingly. There has to be a pullback from record breaking streak. Higher highs and higher lows is what we look for in a health bull market. I expect some volatility from the cpi/ppi/fed data or even a pullback after P&D report. Earnings may* move stock price higher

• Helpful
Reactions: capster and Sofie
Hertz heavily promotes Tesla from the counter. In a case like that, or if they are out of other cars, the renter would not have time to prepare.

I recently rented a car from Hertz, a one-way rental to help my daughter move. When I got there they did not have the car I rented and they tried to get me to rent a Tesla. I’m a total fan girl, but I did not know how to drive one and had too many logistics on my mind to care, ans well as a very short window to make the move happen. This would not have been a good situation for a first time EV driver with no advance preparation.

I rented a Model 3 from Hertz a couple weekends ago. The thing I noticed was that the various settings took a bit of time to get (in my opinion) right. Perhaps the most egregious was when I pulled past the guard gate in the rental lot and into the sunshine. The screen was totally black. I immediately knew what was wrong - someone had set the screen brightness to 0%. I quickly reset it to "Auto" and was on my way. But someone who had no knowledge of Teslas would have had a big problem with it...

It was in Texas. While there, I visited my first Buc-ee's and Supercharged!

@Sofie, If TSLA were to drop <$200 again, most retail investors will be selling, not buying. This is the way market psychology works to one's own detriment. Wishing for a <$200 TSLA now after a nice appreciation when one could have bought at $102 less than six months ago? We all had the same opportunity. What were we thinking when TSLA hit $102? I wasn't buying. Suggest following these simple rules, although hard to do at times:
- Practice dollar cost averaging.
- Don't invest funds that are needed for at least 3 - 4 years.
- Plan to keep your investment for minimum of 3 - 4 years.
- Do pay off all high rate debts first, such as credit cards and lines of credit (and I dare say mortgage debt at these rates).
- Don't invest on margarine.
- Don't gamble on 1.5X, 2X ETFs.
- Don't gamble your TSLA stock purchases with calls/puts.
- And please don't love to see TSLA price drop, understanding that TSLA never goes up in a straight line and is bound to overcorrect and overstimulate when least expected.

As for the overall market, from my research, interest rates will continue to go up (we are still at historically low levels) and start of recession is likely by end of 2023. Bank of Canada raised their rates by .25% last week after a six month pause and more hikes are expected. Australia continues to raise rates. US most likely will follow, perhaps after a one or two month pause. This will cause added pressure to high flyer tech stocks, be horrid for upstarts that have high borrowing needs and yet to be profitable (think Lucid and Rivian) and undermine the financial services industry. Commercial (Office) Real Estate will crater, likely overspilling into Residential Real Estate. More than one OEM will go bankrupt. IMHO Tesla is one of the best companies to ride out any economic storm. Interest rates will likely start coming down end of 2024 which will kick off another bull market. Markets are cyclical. In other words, it is never too early or too late to start investing in Tesla providing it is done prudently.

Okay, you didn't mean to insult, so I'll take back my "Disagree".

But FYI, some of us "solo travelers" prefer to travel alone because we spent decades traveling for work, hewing to the schedules/needs of others, running crews, herding performers (or family members), going to meetings, fittings, conferences, etc.. The ability to go wherever/whenever the wind/whim blows is a real gift, in my case, thanks to Tesla.

Happy Monday!
Lone Wolf
Well said! It’s total freedom without compromise!