Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This difficulty of change in culture is a much, much bigger problem for Toyota than many realise.
When people are 'programmed in company culture' to look at change in a very careful way, it is practically impossible for them to take risks.
Give them the money, show them the already existing techniques that make it possible, all of that won't help much.
They will always find reasons to not do it that way.
The only thing that helps is replacing A LOT of people in key positions and even then it will be extremely difficult.
I do not envy people in Toyota who have to change the course of that huge ship.
Let's not forget that Toyota has for a long time now been dedicated to making the wold's ugliest cars. That will require a sea-change in direction, too.

Let's not forget that Toyota has for a long time now been dedicated to making the wold's ugliest cars. That will require a sea-change in direction, too.
the new Prius looks better than any before them to me:

1686748467934.png

1686748545570.png

I went on one last sabbatical trip and now have a day job again. I’m alive but won’t be posting as often. SpaceX interview for Starlink production engineering did not get past first round, so I’m back at Boeing instead. Might try to move into electric plane R&D in a couple years since Tesla is taking forever to make their own.

I have a physicist friend who did the navier-stokes equations on a CRAY supercomputer around that time for a high-altitude magneto-hydrodyamic drive. All very hush-hush. Difficult to stealth.

8FXSYkHRGGLNhqKaWGfNLQ-970-80.jpg
As we now consider the next major developments for TSLA, your post and a couple of others here, bring up a core reality. Just as a SpaceX inconel formulation brought us Ludicrous and other materials innovations including the innovation in injectable metals that enables practical MegaCastings.
Now we should realize that in all probability other aerospace innovations are headed towards TSLA. We just don't know what they are, yet!

The Toyota disclosures do have the ring of the plausible, but they have the same questions that always accompany major innovations; nobody knows how long they'll take to implement. Nobody!

Regardless of how we view Toyota we also should remember that they've mastered improbable innovations in the past, most notably, hybrid technology. Twenty years ago that was ground-breaking. They also did deploy the RAV 4 powered by Tesla and they actually provided the financial basis that enabled Tesla to survive, Fremont most notably.

The point simply is that Toyota has never been quite so stodgy as they appear to be today. If, possibly a very big IF, they decide to make serious innovation it's not plausible to count them out. The recent Board of Directors actions show incontrovertibly that major changes are afoot.

This is not intended to be a paen for Toyota. It is only a reflection on the possible.

I went on one last sabbatical trip and now have a day job again. I’m alive but won’t be posting as often. SpaceX interview for Starlink production engineering did not get past first round, so I’m back at Boeing instead. Might try to move into electric plane R&D in a couple years since Tesla is taking forever to make their own.
So glad to have had the chance to meet and spend time with you on your sabbatical. Opportunities like that don't come around very often, and I'm old enough to know that. One on one time with a brilliant young mind like yours was a true gift. You'll go far in your life Saxon. And I'm looking forward to watching it happen. Best of luck, and Falcon speed to you.

Come back to the forum and share with us when/as you can.

Them: "Let's make it from stainless steel so we don't have to paint it".

You: "Yeah, then let's wrap it so we have endless warranty headaches."

YMMV. :D

Painting a car vs wrapping a car are two very different processes. It would be much easier to wrap the CT on the line than paint it, and Elon has alluded to possible color offerings for the CT in time. We also know Austin has been hiring people for the "CT paint line", which is odd since the CT is not getting painted.

Just pontificating, but that camouflaged CT was very likely sporting a wrap from someone...YMMV. :cool:

OMG, THE STOCK IS RED! SELL EVERYTHING! TESLA IS DOOMED!

It is soooooo sad, and we were off to such a good start. Now I'll have to sell it all. :eek: /s

Dashing any hope I had for the string of record green days to continue... at least until sometime next year, or perhaps even the year after.

It seemed a reasonable expectation, didn't it? 🤷‍♂️

Oh, wait, perhaps I have capitulated with excessive haste... what color on yonder ticker breaks?

Last edited:
The fact that Toyota is part of the Evil Empire and a bunch of laggards doesn’t mean we shouldn’t watch them closely imo.

Their biggest problem is that they have the agility of an oil tanker but it seems they’re trying to turn the ship.

In terms of evilness I rate VW a lot higher. I don’t think I’ll ever forgive them for their emissions fraud.
Feel free to watch paint dry. I’m more of a watch-the-cheetah-pounce.

Very cool. So have you made any preparations for that $420 TMC Meetup in Vegas? It might be fairly soon, IDK.

Painting a car vs wrapping a car are two very different processes. It would be much easier to wrap the CT on the line than paint it, and Elon has alluded to possible color offerings for the CT in time. We also know Austin has been hiring people for the "CT paint line", which is odd since the CT is not getting painted.

Just pontificating, but that camouflaged CT was very likely sporting a wrap from someone...YMMV. :cool:
I agree on the 2 very different processes, however, i do not think that 'automating' a wrap on the line is as easy as you think. There are so many things that go into wrapping a car if you want to make it look good with no creases, seams, etc. On top of that, you need to smooth out the wrap as well as cut the excess film perfectly. Tesla could probably figure it out, but IMO painting it would be easier, since they already have the expertise in it.