Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so i am minding my own business, seeing patients on a Holiday at my Clinic. my wife, CEO of our company, comes in this afternoon and tells me that
there is potential risk of prescription lithium carbonate shortage by 2024 . never in my last 38+ years of medicine have i ever heard of lithium carbonate, which our Clinic widely prescribes for treatment of Bipolar disorder, suicidality, treatment refractory Depression etc being at risk of short supply. Lithium is a potentially life saving treatment and if LiCo3 goes into shortage it will have life-threatening consequences for psychiatric patients. ! i will send a tweet to Elon.
We've met your wife and you. What do your kids do at your clinic?

• Disagree
Reactions: ShareLofty
European sales seem likely decrease again QoQ.

Why do we think European demand seems to be weaker even with signficant price cuts?

This is my take on it:
Since Fremont/Austin are prioritizing deliveries to the US to take advantage of the IRA credits, there is a need to divert production from Shanghai to Canada that would have normally been sent to Europe. In the Europe TMC threads, we see customers with July delivery dates - so there is current demand.

so i am minding my own business, seeing patients on a Holiday at my Clinic. my wife, CEO of our company, comes in this afternoon and tells me that
there is potential risk of prescription lithium carbonate shortage by 2024 . never in my last 38+ years of medicine have i ever heard of lithium carbonate, which our Clinic widely prescribes for treatment of Bipolar disorder, suicidality, treatment refractory Depression etc being at risk of short supply. Lithium is a potentially life saving treatment and if LiCo3 goes into shortage it will have life-threatening consequences for psychiatric patients. ! i will send a tweet to Elon.

I wanted to get a rough idea on how much lithium is actually used for patients and for cars:

In the link above it says:
So…How Much Lithium is in a Lithium Ion EV Battery?
The best estimate is around 160 g of Li metal in the battery per kWh of battery, or if you prefer, about 850 g of lithium carbonate equivalent (LCE) in the battery per kWh.
A patient takes between 600mg and 1200mg per day so let's say 800mg on average per day.
0.800g x 365day / (850g/kWh) = 0.34kWh equivalent per year.

So now we know why 2024 EEV models will lose about 2.5km of range ;)

This is my take on it:
Since Fremont/Austin are prioritizing deliveries to the US to take advantage of the IRA credits, there is a need to divert production from Shanghai to Canada that would have normally been sent to Europe. In the Europe TMC threads, we see customers with July delivery dates - so there is current demand.

Welcome back. It's great to see you back on the thread!

In fact, I don't recall seeing much of you on Twitter recently either.

I hope you are back to grace us with more of your insights into Tesla financials.

I speak with him on Spaces.

No one should miss him. All he talks about is how literally all other automakers are going bankrupt by 2025.
At least he has developed some self-awareness to call his Spaces "$TSLA WILL TRIPLE IN 2022" after his infamous 2022 prediction.

Oh.. Just about an hour ago on one of the Spaces with Lutz, he said Rivian will go bankrupt soon :oops:

As the long weekend is winding down, it’s time to wind up the FSD, wipers, and other such chatter.

And -
while the US market was closed, a small but welcome occurrence out of Europe. Trading on the German bourse Tesla, after trending down the entire day, reversed in the last hour of trading and closed up .38%. Let’s hope that lifting of gloom occurs in tomorrow’s trading here as well.

Apparently, something's brewing in France - see the interview with Elon.
Hard to listen to with dubbing and questions in french. Here is a summary of it:

00:00:00 - 00:25:00

Elon Musk discusses his inspiration for launching Tesla and SpaceX to advance human civilization through sustainable energy and space exploration, as well as building a platform for people with different viewpoints to interact. He also talks about his interest in a potential Tesla battery factory in France and addresses criticisms of SpaceX's recent Starship launch and debris falling in fragile areas. Additionally, Musk discusses his concerns about the development of artificial intelligence and the importance of using it wisely. The interview also includes discussions with Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter, on hate speech on the platform and where to draw the line between censorship and freedom of expression, as well as Musk's lack of interest in running for US president but noting his unique role and importance in the industrial and social media sectors.

• 00:00:00 In this section, Elon Musk discusses his inspiration for launching Tesla and SpaceX, which is to advance the human civilization through sustainable energy and space exploration. He also highlights his desire to build a platform that encourages interaction between people with different viewpoints, which he hopes will foster a better understanding of each other. Additionally, Musk reveals that he has been approached by French President Emmanuel Macron to set up a battery factory in France, and while he cannot confirm anything at this time, he praises Macron for caring about the country's future and says that something important could be in the works for Tesla in France.
  • 00:05:00 In this section, Musk discussed arguments for France to attract the Tesla Gigafactory and talked about France's talent pool, attractiveness as a location, and the country's ecological incentives. Musk highlighted the benefits of localizing production to reduce energy consumption and improve the environment. He also talked about his personal conviction to transition to sustainable energy and the challenges of launching a new car company. Furthermore, he explained SpaceX's use of renewable energy and their intention to manufacture clean rocket fuel.
  • 00:10:00 In this section, Musk discusses his goal to make humanity multi-planetary through a sustainable civilization on Mars. He states that he himself may not be alive to see a city built on Mars, but the important thing is to have enough people and resources to make it a reality. Musk also addresses the recent Starship launch that exploded and the criticism from environmental groups about debris falling in fragile areas. He argues that the debris landed in areas with no real environmental impact and defends the safety of the launch. Finally, Musk discusses his concerns about the development of artificial intelligence, comparing its power to that of nuclear technology and stating the importance of using it wisely to avoid malicious uses.
  • 00:15:00 In this section, Musk discussed his position on regulation and how it should be there to protect people rather than constrain them. He generally agrees with regulations as he works in a heavily regulated sector, but it must serve the people. Musk also talked about how he didn't think much about his AI company until he added his name to it and signed a petition to regulate AI, although now he believes in being a participant rather than a passive observer in AI's development. The conversation then shifted to Musk's opinion on Twitter after he acquired it and how it has been moderated. Musk argued that the work of moderators has remained consistent despite laying off 80% of its employees. Data on hate speech from different studies was brought up, with some showing that it significantly decreased while others suggesting otherwise.
  • 00:20:00 In this section, the interviewer asks Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter, about the problem of hate speech on the platform and where one should draw the line between censoring offensive content and preserving freedom of expression. Dorsey argues that while some messages may be distasteful or even hateful, Twitter must not overstep what the law dictates and refrain from silencing speech altogether. He also affirms that Twitter will comply with the new DSA regulations in Europe, which seeks to regulate online speech around content that is illegal offline, and that loss of advertisers has not diminished the value of Twitter.
  • 00:25:00 In this section, the interviewer asks Elon Musk if he would ever consider running for president of the United States, to which Musk replies that he has no desire to do so. He explains that although people sometimes imagine the U.S. president as having immense power, the Constitution limits the president's actions. Musk compares it to being the captain of a large ship with a small sail or rudder. Despite this, Musk notes that his position as CEO of several strategic companies in the industrial and social media sectors gives him a unique role and importance, as he is often received like a head of state, even by the president of China.

As the long weekend is winding down, it’s time to wind up the FSD, wipers, and other such chatter.

And -
while the US market was closed, a small but welcome occurrence out of Europe. Trading on the German bourse Tesla, after trending down the entire day, reversed in the last hour of trading and closed up .38%. Let’s hope that lifting of gloom occurs in tomorrow’s trading here as well.
Thank goodness. It was a slog catching up after being away for the long weekend. Learned more than I ever wanted about wipers, sensors and parking abilities.

As always, I am hopeful for strong stock price performance this coming week. But after the strong run TSLA has had, and with members of the fed giving speeches and testimony all week long, this is one week where I am more pessimistic than usual. Not that it matters as I will just continue to HODL. And hope I'm wrong and the recent change in sentiment of TSLA overshadows the fed.

Hard to listen to with dubbing and questions in french. Here is a summary of it:

00:00:00 - 00:25:00

Elon Musk discusses his inspiration for launching Tesla and SpaceX to advance human civilization through sustainable energy and space exploration, as well as building a platform for people with different viewpoints to interact. He also talks about his interest in a potential Tesla battery factory in France and addresses criticisms of SpaceX's recent Starship launch and debris falling in fragile areas. Additionally, Musk discusses his concerns about the development of artificial intelligence and the importance of using it wisely. The interview also includes discussions with Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter, on hate speech on the platform and where to draw the line between censorship and freedom of expression, as well as Musk's lack of interest in running for US president but noting his unique role and importance in the industrial and social media sectors.

• 00:00:00 In this section, Elon Musk discusses his inspiration for launching Tesla and SpaceX, which is to advance the human civilization through sustainable energy and space exploration. He also highlights his desire to build a platform that encourages interaction between people with different viewpoints, which he hopes will foster a better understanding of each other. Additionally, Musk reveals that he has been approached by French President Emmanuel Macron to set up a battery factory in France, and while he cannot confirm anything at this time, he praises Macron for caring about the country's future and says that something important could be in the works for Tesla in France.
  • 00:05:00 In this section, Musk discussed arguments for France to attract the Tesla Gigafactory and talked about France's talent pool, attractiveness as a location, and the country's ecological incentives. Musk highlighted the benefits of localizing production to reduce energy consumption and improve the environment. He also talked about his personal conviction to transition to sustainable energy and the challenges of launching a new car company. Furthermore, he explained SpaceX's use of renewable energy and their intention to manufacture clean rocket fuel.
  • 00:10:00 In this section, Musk discusses his goal to make humanity multi-planetary through a sustainable civilization on Mars. He states that he himself may not be alive to see a city built on Mars, but the important thing is to have enough people and resources to make it a reality. Musk also addresses the recent Starship launch that exploded and the criticism from environmental groups about debris falling in fragile areas. He argues that the debris landed in areas with no real environmental impact and defends the safety of the launch. Finally, Musk discusses his concerns about the development of artificial intelligence, comparing its power to that of nuclear technology and stating the importance of using it wisely to avoid malicious uses.
  • 00:15:00 In this section, Musk discussed his position on regulation and how it should be there to protect people rather than constrain them. He generally agrees with regulations as he works in a heavily regulated sector, but it must serve the people. Musk also talked about how he didn't think much about his AI company until he added his name to it and signed a petition to regulate AI, although now he believes in being a participant rather than a passive observer in AI's development. The conversation then shifted to Musk's opinion on Twitter after he acquired it and how it has been moderated. Musk argued that the work of moderators has remained consistent despite laying off 80% of its employees. Data on hate speech from different studies was brought up, with some showing that it significantly decreased while others suggesting otherwise.
  • 00:20:00 In this section, the interviewer asks Jack Dorsey, CEO of Twitter, about the problem of hate speech on the platform and where one should draw the line between censoring offensive content and preserving freedom of expression. Dorsey argues that while some messages may be distasteful or even hateful, Twitter must not overstep what the law dictates and refrain from silencing speech altogether. He also affirms that Twitter will comply with the new DSA regulations in Europe, which seeks to regulate online speech around content that is illegal offline, and that loss of advertisers has not diminished the value of Twitter.
  • 00:25:00 In this section, the interviewer asks Elon Musk if he would ever consider running for president of the United States, to which Musk replies that he has no desire to do so. He explains that although people sometimes imagine the U.S. president as having immense power, the Constitution limits the president's actions. Musk compares it to being the captain of a large ship with a small sail or rudder. Despite this, Musk notes that his position as CEO of several strategic companies in the industrial and social media sectors gives him a unique role and importance, as he is often received like a head of state, even by the president of China.
in the style and with the mistakes (Dorsey CEO of Twitter?!) this is written, I think you should have added that this was written by an AI.

@Papafox summarized Friday's trading day in his thread, but I was impressed by the delta between max pain and our triple witching close on Friday...

jun16maxpwk-jpg.948348

I was intrigued by the inexplicable closing cross of 11.9 million shares if anyone wants to suggest a theory for the unsolved mystery!

Last edited:
Elon's Management Style, lessons for others? Insight into Tesla management & interactions with other Musk-related companies. For me, it shows how Elon can still effectively manage Tesla workload despite other loads and indeed how other Musk companies can cross pollinate eg Customer Relationship Management / Enterprise Resource Planning software ("Tesla has since replaced the SalesForce CRM w/ a homegrown CRM + ERP designed in-house at SpaceX!"). Hopefully matching Tesla's needs more and saving licence fees.

Gillinghammer
@gillinghammer

Story time: The day
@elonmusk killed the acronym and learned micromanagement-at-scaleTLDR- gives 15min to department directors and VPs each week at his companies- requires meetings to strictly focus on “unsolved” problems from the past week- use plain language, not specialized terminology or acronyms Elon’s schedule is usually back to back 15 minute Director or VP meetings across every department at every company. Plus time spent on the factory floor walking the lines, speaking w the workers. This is an efficient crowd sourcing mechanism that provides Elon with accurate ground truths horizontally across the company. This method makes it easier to identify root problems that manifest issues across several teams, who w/ their own narrow context lack awareness to solve on their own. This is often where the mantra “The best part is NO part” really shines at Tesla.Elon won’t hesitate to cross pollinate talent across Tesla, SpaceX, Twitter, etc, etc. I remember being sent to SolarCity one week so that Tesla could “copy their inbound lead process” back when I managed SalesForce for Tesla. Tesla has since replaced the SalesForce CRM w/ a homegrown CRM + ERP designed in-house at SpaceX! Elons’ weekly focused departmental syncs across multiple companies simultaneously is actually advantageous for problem solving - despite what we hear or fear that “he’s too busy to be an effective leader” it takes a lot of his time, but it’s amazingly efficient. No more acronyms - you can imagine automotive companies and space companies are drowning in convoluted names and descriptions abstracted away into shortened mnemonics or acronyms. If Elon hears an acronym he tells the manager to stop using it immediately. Elon thinks deeply about “information theory” and believes acronyms cause more harm than the milliseconds of time they save. If you are a junior employee for example you might not interrupt a manager using an acronym you don’t understand thus resulting in more miscommunication (expensive). At Tesla the battery pack was often called the “ESS” (energy storage system) by engineers and not well understood by the sales, marketing and service teams and as a culture employees would help enforce this rule and simply call this the “battery” which everyone can easily understand. I worked at Tesla in 2008 and led the systems and operations work for Sales, Marketing, and Service teams for more than 5yrs. If you enjoyed this post and would like to see more like this, let me know!

6:29 PM · Jun 19, 2023
·
197.9K Views

I was intrigued by the inexplicable closing cross of 11.9 million shares if anyone wants to suggest a theory for the unsolved mystery!
Aliens! That also explains SpaceX and their frequent launches. Not for Starlink but to maintain regular contact with the aliens. Elon's frequent meetings with heads of state is to pass personal messages to them from the aliens. Also explains why the various missions to the dark side of the moon (where they have a base) mysteriously crash moments before landing. Live long and prosper! Can't be totally discounted since Occam's razor says that the simplest answer is usually correct. :cool: It's not like we have a Stargate... or do we???