Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quite possible that Elon has Tesla working on a V2 4680 cell/pack. Important to get the design but more importantly the manufacturing right before scaling.

Just done the same thing with Dojo. Seemed slow progress and then we find out that they are working V2 that they will scale faster than originally planned (plus more flexible use case).

I would be amazed if they produced any cars in 2024 from that factory. There is a limit to how fast something as massive as the mexico factory can be built, tested, and surrounding parts suppliers all lined up. I'll be happy with 2025 production. I still dont think we have seen the full limit of what Shanghai, Texas and Berlin can do. There is plenty of scope for ramping up of production without Mexico.

Lets not forget that Cybertruck and Semi are both independent of mexico.
2023 is cybertruck year
2024 is cybertruck & semi ramp
2025 is mexico / model 2?
from a financial perspective:

2023 is the year of Austin/Berlin model Y ramping & Lathrop megapack. (Cybertruck will not be a positive feature on the finances)
2024 is another year of Austin/Berlin model Y ramp, Lathrop & shanghai megapack ramp, with a cameo appearance from Cybertruck.
2025 is the year of GigaMexico, Cybertruck proper volume and Semi makes an appearance.

highland model 3 update is barely worth mentioning, as it seemingly is not adding any volume at all, just a product facelift on pre-existing lines.

although have seen rumors of an additional new assembly line going into Giga Texas that isn’t Y or CT.

highland model 3 update is barely worth mentioning, as it seemingly is not adding any volume at all, just a product facelift on pre-existing lines.
I think that is a little unfair. Biggest group of M3 buyers will soon be M3 owners. You need to give an M3 owners a reason to sell his/her car that has zero maintenance issues. The entire automotive market depends on two factors traditionally:
  • ICE maintenance becomes expensive 1 day after warranty expires (mostly due to them being designed to this limit)
  • Every 3 years a facelift/new evolutionary product tempts them into updating
Tesla have broken away from both which will make Highland even more important. Stemming further price drops as Tesla doubles production over the next few years is worth its weight in gold.

I saw something somewhere suggesting that Highland reduces the time taken to build a Model 3.
If the upgrade includes the areas I think it does, wiring harness, steering, brakes, that reduced assembly time seems plausible.

Less time to build a car, means more production from the same line. Not major, but every bit helps.

Froom Ashook's talk

Tesla are aiming to become one of the top compute platforms in the entire world.

We also believe that in order to train these foundation models for vision, we need a significant amount of compute power. It's not just about using compute power for training a single model, but rather using compute power to conduct numerous experiments and determine which models work best.

That's why we are incredibly excited about the abundance of compute power and the innovative ideas of engineers and participants.

Our focus is not limited to cars; it extends to robots as well. For instance, we already have occupancy networks that are shared between cars and robots, and they work remarkably well. We aim to broaden their application to include all tasks related to lanes and vehicles.

It's important to note that these tasks should not be limited to cars alone. If a robot happens to navigate on the road and observe its surroundings, it should understand roads, vehicles, and how they move. Therefore, our models are designed to cater to both platforms and any future robotics platforms that require such capabilities.

In summary, we are developing foundational vision models that possess a comprehensive understanding of various aspects. By generalizing across cars and robots, these models can be trained on a diverse range of data collected from our fleet, supported by ample compute power.

I'm truly excited about the next 12 to 18 months and what lies ahead. Thank you, and I'm happy to address any questions you may have.

First time future robotics platforms are mentioned? eVTOL? Hexapods? Cephalopod?

Pre market looking mewwh.

This ass looking not so mewwh. Apparently Norwegians have a sense of humor 😎 seen nearby CPH airport yesterday.

View attachment 950904
IMG_0475.jpg
BMW Munich Delivery and Experience Center yesterday, apparently the transition to EV's is bringing "JOY" to BMW?

What's the latest delivery estimates by the Tesla Spreadsheet Geeks? I'm seeing numbers under 450,000 except for James Stephenson who puts them above 500,000. The institutions are in the 425,000 to 445,000 range. It sounds like inventory is not the problem, so it might be production might not be ramping as expected? Or we are in for a big upside surprise.

• Informative
Reactions: traxila
I'm 99% sure on this, but someone correct me if I'm wrong

LFP CATL and BYD packs are shipped as a complete unit from the respective factories, Tesla doesn't assemble the LFP packs in house, so there isn't anything they need to do to support those packs in a factory other that logistics of bringing them in and putting on the line

So the nice thing is that it adds to production capacity without that much modifications from Tesla part
Seems unlikely they're fully complete packs, as that would mean shipping off the Tesla-built internals for things in the penthouse and such to CATL and BYD to then be integrated and shipped back, possibly also shipping the entire pack housing back and forth. Would seem more likely they're getting entire modules ready to be dropped into a pack?

TSLA well on it's way now to testing that 225 support area. I think the macro's will help with that this week. The S&P and Nasdaq both I think are going to pull back another 2-3%. If macro's really want to test the uptrend line (which I do think they should do, it's much healthier for the market), then it's more likely they pull back more like 5-6% each.
Update on this ballpark? I just placed a share buy order at 236 - see if it hits tomorrow, must be getting close.

Also, I've never seen this thread so confused on deliveries, large deviation. Seems our indicators are not as effective? Is it Tesla being covert or just a lack of drones? This could be a bullish sign for me. Haven't lost hope in some burnt hair soon.

Well, if Tesla has stated beforehand: "whatever happens, no leaks during the negotiations", then this leak may have ended it all.
Elon Musk has shown in the past that being taken seriously is a big thing for him.
Remember when many years ago the Russians didn't take Elon serious when he wanted to buy rockets: he went out and never came back.
It is a cheap warning to the Indians, who have leaked in the past. It not only warns them to not leak again, it also warns them that other 'asks' on the table may also be non-negotiable. Just as they were last time !

Update on this ballpark? I just placed a share buy order at 236 - see if it hits tomorrow, must be getting close.

Also, I've never seen this thread so confused on deliveries, large deviation. Seems our indicators are not as effective? Is it Tesla being covert or just a lack of drones? This could be a bullish sign for me. Haven't lost hope in some burnt hair soon.
There is no confusion on this statement; Tesla will continue to drop prices to sell as many as they can for each and every quarter.

There is no confusion on this statement; Troy does not agree with above.

There is no confusion on this statement;
Troy has been the best predictor up until now.

It is possible Troy will be right again but for the wrong reasons:

Tesla moving to fewer shifts for practical purposes, wave reduction and battery shortages.

I'm not ignoring reality -

A) The start of production is subjective in your chart. Austin started deliveries in Q2 2022. Pretty sure Tesla made more than 30 Y's for all of Q2 2022. Your second quarter of production for Austin is actually it's 1st quarter.

B) The numbers in your graph for the most recent quarter do not add up. Austin did not make more Y's than Berlin. The numbers add up even less when you take into account that your 1st month of Austin production is actually the 2nd month. I don't know where you're sourcing these numbers from.

C) I already acknowledged that they're way behind Shanghai. That's obvious and really has no relevancy here. They were never going to recreate Shanghai speed.

Also your graph for battery production. I don't even know where to begin with that. Tesla is sourcing batteries from more than just Panasonic now. 4680 packs are only going into a % of Austin production. We don't know the %. All of Berlin production isn't predicated on 4680 development. Then add in the fact that Tesla has been consistently changing the battery types into which trim on both the 3 and Y over the past 6 months which alleviates bottlenecks on 2170 supply. I'm not saying there's no 2170 shortage or that at times pack supply hasn't been tight. But I have no idea where you're getting that graph and what numbers and factors are going into it.
A. That data is my best understanding of production data (not deliveries). It is production from the factory that is most relevant in understanding where production constraints are. If one looks at delivery data then that adds in a lot of other variables that not only confound the overall picture, but which are also different for each factory due to the different delivery chains, and which change with time. So production data is what I use. The data is shown in the graph, in the table above. The origin point is clearly shown in the table. If you have better data by all means show it, but that is the best data that I have (so far) been able to accumulate. (Often, but not always, I adopt Troy's data - and a thank you is owed to @Troy for sharing so generously with the TMC community and being one of the few people to be systematic).

B. For the most recent Austin/Berlin quarter (i.e. Q1-2023) the production data is courtesy of Troy. Once again, thank you Troy. If you have better production data then please show it. I too am surprised by the implication that Berlin has fallen behind Austin during Q1, but I can think of a number of reasons why that might be (primarily different down times for New Year holidays; and being given different amounts of battery love; and the length of the delivery chain for battery supply to Berlin vs the overall shortness of the battery supply chain to Austin). But those are after-the-event rationalisations and may not be correct, and indeed the underlying data may be erroneous. However it is the best data that I have. If you have better data please post it. And no, burst data is not better data - it is overall quarterly production data that is required. As you yourself note the VIN data is somewhat ambiguous.

C. Au contraire. The Shanghai ramp rate is the best we have so far for an upper bound, and so should be respected. Yes of course there were particular factors, but nonetheless to suggest that it cannot be repeated is to suggest that Tesla will always be worse at volume manufacturing than once they were.

D. The 3/Y battery production graph is what it says on the tin - a quarterly CHANGE in battery production graph. Since the average pack size is assumed to be constant it might as well be a quarterly change in 3/Y production. What it tells us is how good Tesla is (or is not) at getting cells into the vehicle assembly lines as the lines go through ramps, both in absolute terms (which ought to grow over time) and in relative % terms (which ought to be somewhat constant). What you can see in the available data is that the growth rates in the last three quarters are not as great as one would have hoped for. Whether the issues are in LFP supply, or in 4680 supply, or something else I do not know. I suspect that the LFP is having to do a lot of heavy lifting (almost all of Berlin) to make up for a relatively weak ramp in 4680. But that is only my suspicion as there is not sufficient evidence in the data to be completely confident regarding that conclusion. (If you were to go to the Near future quarterly thread you will find enough data posted by me that you can yourself reproduce that graph - see Near-future quarterly financial projections ). If you have better data please post it.

While that might be true, there is plenty that we don't know.

1) Is this unplanned and unexpected? Tesla guided for 1.8M to 2M vehicles when they already had cells for 1.8M
2) What role are the other buildings being constructed at Austin and elsewhere in Texas intended to play? Are those construction projects on time?
3) Where are the raw materials coming from? Have their been in delays in raw materials supply chains?
4) How is staff recruitment / training going?
5) Are they waiting for new equipment, including improved equipment?
6) Are there any technical / yield issues Tesla still needs to resolve?

The ramp may not be where we would like it to be, but we don't know if it is broadly in line with Tesla expectations, or if it is falling short of Tesla expectations. I'm saying Tesla expectations, not Elon expectations.

Even if it is falling short of expectations, we don't know why, or how long it will take to resolve the issues.

Tesla also intended to source 4680s from other suppliers, those other suppliers seem to be progressing at an even slower rate.

Absolutely. All I am doing is pointing out the logical implications of the best data we have so far (or at least the best data I've been able to pull together so far). It may of course be that the plan is to fix it all in the last quarter, who knows. But one thing we do know is that both Semi and Cybertruck consume a large number of cells/vehicle so to the extent that we are focussed on the vehicles/year metric (and I am not overly fixated on that, but many will be) then towards the very end of 2023, and definitely during 2024 and 2025, it will be even harder going to ramp the cell supply at the required rate.

Berlin is set up to use LFP, 2760, and 4680 cells, although there is no production of 4680's to speak of. I'm not 100% if they are doing both CATL prismatic LFP and BYD's blade LFP cells, but both were in the works. Their ramp has been anticipated for years, and while it is possible that the low 4680 yield has hampered things it should be offset significantly by the delay in production ramp.

Austin appears to be building 30-40% 4680 cells based on the castings outside, and 4680 volume is supposed to be in the 1,500-2,000/week equivalent volume. AFAIK for the 2760's they are using both LG and Panasonic, and I thought a third vendor was qualified.

...and then there is the Powerwall/Megapack. Those cells (capacity not physical) could easily be used for vehicle production and the storage products shifted to LFP if batteries were in fact an issue.

If the 4680's are not ramped up within the next 12 months then I can see a production barrier being hit in 2025 based on other OEM's ramp schedules.

Bottom line is there were a lot of committed production capacity for cells that the other OEMs have not been able to use to-date, which should increase available cells on the market meaningfully. That short-term benefit will erode over time, but it should not impact Tesla significantly if all goes according to plan.
Thank you, some good info there.

Some minor quibbles.

- I'm not so sure that Megapack LFP cells can be repurposed in any meaningful way to vehicles, as that would require raw material / early stage stuff to be processed in a different set of lines at the cell supplier. But I've not seen a compare-and-contrast of the LFP cells in the Megapack vs the ones going into the vehicles so as to understand to what extent there is commonality. Maybe it is a late-stage-customisation process in which case it might be an easy switch. My suspicion is otherwise and that the implication is that one would have very unbalanced lines and very unhappy supply chains and vendors. It would be good to know more.

- Powerwall had (has ?) yet (?) to switch to LFP and is in any case trivial volumes. (We know that from some recent Powerwall milestone data). A switch to LFP is supposed to be occurring and indeed it would be good if they could engineer commonality with vehicles at that moment, for these very reasons.

- Regarding other OEM capacity becoming available that of course would be great in some respects. (not from that of overall transition mission, but more so from a Tesla-specific TSLA shareholder perspective). However to what extent would Tesla be wiling to adopt other cells that were tailored for other OEMs in a timeframe that is relevant for the next 18-months ? As @GhostSkater says the BYD and CATL LFP packs are vendor-built. To what extent is there spare capacity at BYD and CATL that is currently allocated to other OEMs but under utilised ? And is it product-specific or common with the Tesla product ? And what about the other (non CATL/BYD) suppliers, especially of LFP ?

Btw, I thought I was communicating pretty well but to be very clear, my previous handful of posts are not meant to be taken as bullishness and for someone to go buy some lotto options for next week.

I'm simply pointing out conflicting data for this quarter around production.

A good example of this is Berlin production, the vin registration data we've gotten is showing contradictory things. On one hand, we have VIN's number data from countries that are reporting VIN's daily that numerically point to the fact that Berlin has sustained the 5k/week rate since mid-late May. On the other hand, the actual number of VIN registrations that we can track don't support the idea that Berlin has been at 5k/week rate since May. So the question is, is Berlin skipping entire batches of production or is some production unaccounted for...as in, the countries that don't report daily and/or new locations or expansion on other countries that Tesla intends Berlin to service.

As for Austin, Tesla announced they hit 4k/week run rate on April 2nd. They announced they hit 5k/week on May 9th. Now do I believe that rates were achieved and Tesla just went consistently higher the next week? No. In fact they could have done something like 4k/week and then 3700-3800/next week before moving higher. Same with hitting 5k/week. They might have just hit that one week and the next couple of weeks was 4,000-4,500/week.

But what seems hard to believe is that Tesla hit 4k/week, went all the way down to 3k/week only to jump to 5k/week 2 weeks later, only to drop to 3,500/week for the rest of Q2. Like...come on 😅.

So the Troy estimate of an average of 3,500/week for Austin doesn't add up to me and it's why this P/D could is a wildcard P/D. It's also why I'm not even going to bother putting in a estimate. Let's just say anywhere from 440k-500k. Because the gap is really that large this quarter.
What other markets does Berlin supply? Taiwan (according to Teslarati* and others) and Türkiye for sure, anywhere else? Israel would make sense logistically. South Korea & Japan - still USA production? There are (presumably) near-empty ships traveling from European markets back to China (lower logistics costs). Some Berlin Model Y can be dropped off en-route. The total number of vehicles might be low though.

"Other Europe" and Türkiye (under Europe heading) on Tesla's website's language menu plus these

*Tesla expands Model Y to Taiwan with tricky China imports in focus

1687858157827.png

• Helpful
Reactions: replicant
What other markets does Berlin supply? Taiwan (according to Teslarati* and others) and Türkiye for sure, anywhere else? Israel would make sense logistically. South Korea & Japan - still USA production? There are (presumably) near-empty ships traveling from European markets back to China (lower logistics costs). Some Berlin Model Y can be dropped off en-route. The total number of vehicles might be low though.

"Other Europe" and Türkiye (under Europe heading) on Tesla's website's language menu plus these

*Tesla expands Model Y to Taiwan with tricky China imports in focus

Further to this, I know of a few Turkish families that are doing everything they can to get money out of the Turkish Lira (high inflation, exchange rate getting worse).

There may be currency controls preventing what some people I know of did previously - buy houses/businesses abroad. I don't know if there are but it's often done in these situations. If you have enough money to buy a house with cash, buying a car isn't hard.

I tried to find Model Y sales but couldn't. Instead I found some info on Reddit. One quote that jumped out on me was....."with the supposed arrival of togg , ev chargers started to pop up everywhere which reassured me to get an ev". Togg is the EV company that the country is starting. Also, if Tesla honour order price as final price - that's a dramatic win as exchange rates plunge.

Togg - Wikipedia - deliveries of first model started in may 2023 - Togg T10X - Wikipedia
Pricing and competition
The starting price of the base model, named V1, is 953,000 ₺. On the other hand, the starting price of the more luxurious model, named V2, with an extended range battery is 1,215,000 ₺.

The Togg T10X is in direct competition with other compact SUVs such as the Tesla Model Y or the Volkswagen ID.4
Togg or Tesla? Which would the average Turk buy? An unknown brand in RoE* (Rest of Europe) or a Tesla that can be driven to another country and potentially be sold there in a strong currency - even for parts!

All Tesla Superchargers that I have seen are open to all CCS2 vehicles. If Teslas can use the other network(s) springing up to support Togg, then that's a very strong enabler. Furthermore, sunny country, maybe grid is dodgy in places, I would expect solar/batteries in remote areas. A country that depends on oil imports (from memory Russia was a supplier). Perhaps there are petrol/diesel supply risks.

Türkiye has a population of around 85 million people, so larger than UK, just slightly larger than Germany. Wealth is unevenly distributed and there's probably more of a wide-family ethos rather than individualistic or nuclear family view - so people can club together to try to keep family wealth safe. Huge diaspora with knowledge of countries that Tesla has EV market dominance in.

I can't seem to find sales figures for Tesla in Türkiye quickly, but as we've seen before as a new market opens, longstanding orders can be filled rapidly and I can imagine that if Tesla honours order prices, a declining Turkish Lira might lead to higher than expected demand.

*RoE (Rest of Europe - should be explained in each post) - I'm not aware of a commonly used term to refer to the area outside of the currently discussed country belonging to either Europe as a geographic term or the European Union / EEC (European Economic Community) as economic and political areas. I'll try to use RoE (and explain it) - but it this context it might mean the "delivery area" - so in some instances this might include Morocco & other parts of North Africa, Israel, Jordan, even UAE. So perhaps another unwieldy acronym might be required - RoEDA - Rest of European Delivery Area. Maybe not. I've previously found EMEA (Europe, the Middle East and Africa) problematic for various reasons. I can drive to Morocco using a Tesla, don't need a Yellow Fever Certificate etc. Africa's a big place, deliveries might be better coming from USA/Mexico for some parts.

Last edited:
I saw something somewhere suggesting that Highland reduces the time taken to build a Model 3.
If the upgrade includes the areas I think it does, wiring harness, steering, brakes, that reduced assembly time seems plausible.

Less time to build a car, means more production from the same line. Not major, but every bit helps.
Although if it's really 25% as rumors have it, it's not a small amount.

In my estimation these people did more damage to the world than 95% of the EU's current incarcerated population combined. They're getting suspended prison sentences.