Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
sold-in-USA Compact car.

What is current cream-de-la-cream of designed-in-america, built-in-XY, sold-in-USA Compact car?
Last I looked americans have no clue how to design a compact car. None, zero, zilch.
Masters of this trade reside in Italy and France.
Chineese are lightyears infront of designed-in-america Compact cars.

What will tesla come up with?
I surely hope it won't be another designed-in-america compact POS.

What is current cream-de-la-cream of designed-in-america, built-in-XY, sold-in-USA Compact car?
Last I looked americans have no clue how to design a compact car. None, zero, zilch.

Previous small cars were designed by GM, Ford and Chrysler, not Tesla.

Also, the current creme-de-la-creme of designed-in-america, built-in-XY, sold-in-USA Compact cars are the 3 and Y, which are compacts in the US. The new vehicle is something below that. The 3 and Y are good enough to meet my standards, anyway.

In one of the many clickbait stories from MSM outlets I saw this sentence

View attachment 955131

Mass layoffs throughout 2023”

is this correct?
If this was actually true, then the SP would have skyrocketed because Wall Street always rewards mass layoffs.

Honda Civic? /s

With the addition of the Advanced Design Studio and Acura Design Center (which will begin operation in summer 2007), the company will operate 10 major facilities in North America with more than 1,400 designers, engineers and support personnel engaged in the development of Honda and Acura passenger cars, motorcycles and power equipment products for North America and global markets.

Last edited:
If this was actually true, then the SP would have skyrocketed because Wall Street always rewards mass layoffs.
Unless you're Tesla of course. Don't you remember 3rd of June last year when all the FUD amplified reporting came out that Tesla would cut 10% of its workforce (actually only salaried, not production). That day the TSLA share price fell 9%.

Lol, highly dubious that any anonymous tweeter acct from mainland China would know details of the upcoming designed-in-america, built-in-mexico, sold-in-USA Compact car.

Last time we heard Elon comment on the Tesla China Design team located at the Giga Shanghai R&D Centre, he said "they're just not ready yet" (their time will come).

Compact car is just too important to delegate to the 'B'-team. Tesla will have it's best and brightest, most accomplished designers and engineers on this project (yes, it's that critical that Compact car is a home run).

That's why Franz said he works on this design every day during his latest podcast appearance, and why Tesla has assigned supervision of the construction of Giga Monterrey to Tom Zhu, the hero of Shanghai.

Cheers to the A-Team!

Not so unlikely.
Dots, let me connect you...
Plus, supply chain in general (all those companies Tesla wants to expand in Mexico)
😉
And the factory design depends on the vehicle design so if they are going for sub-year breaking ground to production, they need the vehicle sorted (not that they'll make 2M immediate)

I want to believe 👽

supply chain in general (all those companies Tesla wants to expand in Mexico)

You bring up a salient point: much of Giga Monterrey's parts supply infrastructure is being built in Mexico right now by Chinese companies. These could easily be the source of some 3rd-hand leaked info. However, Chinese 'influencers' invariably spin any info to suit their needs at the moment. I'd be even more skeptical if this info was released on an Options expiry Friday.

Here are the Forecasts and Prior Month #/% for the CPI, PPI & Jobless Claims to be released this week.

1689075043881.png

Honda Civic? /s

Ironically, the current Civic design targeted the USA but was designed in Europe and Japan.

(Corolla is top compact car, although Civic is up this year and Corolla is down, although Corolla hybrid is up.)

Reactions: FreqFlyer

China and Japan would argue. In 1967 I was driving a Honda N360. The Nissan S-cargo
and dozens of others show how stylish the kei cars:

Tesla is quite a while away from delving into such markets but it WILL happen as large urban area transportation continues to be an issue that mass transportation cannot really solve.

Clearly both Italy and France are long adept at building these, and nearly all are now electric.
They just are not exceptional more than others.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rarity and AZRI11
VW is, according to Arena EV, cutting down its price on ID3 in China.

Excerpt:
- Price has now come down to 15.400 euro for base model, which starts at almost 40.000 euro (!) in Europe;
- "Local competitors are playing a significant role in this shift, with brands like BYD and Tesla dominating various price segments of the market."
- "Recent drop in electric car sales from the German automaker suggests the customers caught on what's really happening and are shopping somewhere else."
- "No surprise then that VW is forced to cut shifts and production of EVs in Europe while bemoaning dropping sales - while its competitors post record-breaking sales."

At this level VW must be making a considerable loss on each ID3 in China.
The above shows the enormous battle that is raging.
Outside here on this forum people have - in my experience- no clue this epic battle is happening right now.
And Tesla hasn’t even started with their next gen model.

Tesla is quite a while away from delving into such markets but it WILL happen as large urban area transportation continues to be an issue that mass transportation cannot really solve.

Clearly both Italy and France are long adept at building these, and nearly all are now electric.
They just are not exceptional more than others.

If other manufacturers (i.e.: from Italy, France, China) were to create adequate numbers of sub-compact BEVs for those markets, is it necessarily a given that Tesla would as well?

For example, there are many sub-compacts made in China, and Tesla has avoided entering that market. Possibly because making a vehicle at that size may be challenging to accomplish while also meeting their safety goals.

It seems the only reason Tesla would do that is if they had already filled the other vehicle categories and felt the sub-compact sector wasn't growing fast enough. Tesla would be unlikely do it merely for competitive reasons. The mission isn't necessarily for Tesla to target every segment of the market simply because it is there.

Either way, there is obviously a strong demand for good sub-compact BEVs in those places where the roads are narrower and/or traffic is denser. Hopefully there will be a wide variety of manufacturers vying for that market with quality designs.

It seems reasonable that Tesla could step in if needed, though I agree it is less likely for this to ever be moved to the top of the list ahead of others where they are more comfortable about hitting the quality and safety targets.

Reactions: GLDYLX and unk45
GM throws in the towel concerning building affordable, smaller cars in the US.

Executives from Buick and Chevrolet say they expect the vehicles to be among their bestsellers as production ramps up and the crossovers are imported from factories in South Korea.

Funny how CNBC buries that little detail in the article. I do hope that TSLA decides to open a "Model 2" (or whatever the "$25,000 Tesla will be called) assembly line in a US factory, just to keep the "Most US Made" title and shut down that bit of FUD.

New benchmark for the Roadster just dropped

Stuff Koenigsegg do is mind blowing, even though the haven’t gave up ICE yet

2300 hp, fits four with luggage and most important of all, 8 heated and cooled cup holders

Why the sugar would anyone think heated/cooled cup holders are useful? 90% of our travel mugs now are double walled and/or insulated, so all it does is warm or cool the outside of the cup.(seriously, Yeti mugs will keep your beverages hot or ice cold for hours...)

Excessive cup holders are such a weird fetish... 😆 I remember the criticism Tesla had early on when they refused to play that particular game...

edit: and to keep it connected to the thread, this is an example of how Tesla looks at things buyers say they want vs what they actually use/need - cut costs via skimming off the stuff 95% of customers don't actually use, that 5% will complain loudly, but the 95% really don't care - while legacy has tended to try to please every customer's demand... Like the CD players Tesla refused to add even though everyone else still put them in - every penny of savings adds up - but it is extremely difficult to find the best balance... Can't go too minimalist either, and Tesla has experimented with that along the way (the early model S also didn't have much of a center console either, but that bred some aftermarket entrepreneurial projects, and now they have a pretty sleek console in the Y - with far fewer parts than legacy center consoles...).

Last edited:
Why the sugar would anyone think heated/cooled cup holders are useful? 90% of our travel mugs now are double walled and/or insulated, so all it does is warm or cool the outside of the cup.(seriously, Yeti mugs will keep your beverages hot or ice cold for hours...)

Excessive cup holders are such a weird fetish... 😆 I remember the criticism Tesla had early on when they refused to play that particular game...

(edit: and to keep it connected to the thread, this is an example of how Tesla looks at things buyers say they want vs what they actually use/need - cut costs via skimming off the stuff 95% of customers don't actually use, that 5% will complain loudly, but the 95% really don't care - while legacy has tended to try to please every customer's demand... Like the CD players Tesla refused to add even though everyone else still put them in - every penny of savings adds up)
Many companies use the checkbox method. More boxes checked is supposed to indicate a better product. So ten boxes checked are better than five boxes checked, regardless of the silliness of the boxes. Basically this is marketing thinking.

Hopefully it will be easy and plug and play or the Cybertruck won’t be towing anything.
I'm fairly certain Tesla has considered this and will provide proper power sources but smaller trailers don't need brake control and some larger trailers have surge brakes which also don't require brake control. Plus it's not difficult to install an aftermarket voltage controller.