Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just finding something to do other than watch the ticker and thought I'd offer the same respite to y'all as well.
I don't think you are cut out to hang out with us at TMC if you are trying to find something else to do other than watch the ticker!!! Prob should put you on probation for even typing that!

I don't think you are cut out to hang out with us at TMC if you are trying to find something else to do other than watch the ticker!!! Prob should put you on probation for even typing that!

Well, it is obvious that I wasn't successful, and, here you are posting instead. At least I'll have company in detention. 😁

Tesla has opened at least 10 new supercharging locations today across the United States.
Looks like another busy day for new supercharging locations. At least 10 11 12 13! 14! more locations were opened across the United States. 8 to 12 15 16 stalls each

The last flurry was only 10 days ago on July 3rd with 10 locations.

I won’t bother listing the new locations; they can be found on the official Tesla again Charging Twitter account.

Superchargers are going to be everywhere if this pace continues. I imagine the rate will only increase over the next 3-5 years until they are as ubiquitous as gas stations. But instead of splitting the revenue between Shell, Exxon Mobil, etc all the dollars can flow to Tesla.

Exciting times ahead!

Edit: Each Twitter refresh seems to produce a new location. I’ll keep refreshing 😉

Last edited:
Another thing pointing in Tesla's favor for the 2nd half of 2023 when it comes to their earnings......the US dollar

Calling @The Accountant . I believe Zach stated on Tesla's most recent earnings call was that the way currencies effect Tesla is on a YoY basis, not QoQ, like some of us originally believed. Thus if you look at Q1 2023, even though the Dollar was down significantly from Q4, it was still much higher than it was in Q1 of 2022. Which is way Tesla stated that Q1 earnings were still being impacted negatively by currency headwinds. Now, in Q2, if you look at the YoY, the Dollar will be slightly down.

So it might not be much of a tailwind in Q2. But....look into Q3 and Q4. Q3 and Q4 earnings might be blowout earnings from analyst expectations simply from currency tailwinds....major currency tailwinds.

Last edited:
What I get from it - investment in fossil fuels has fallen by half in 10 years, with that "missing" investment going to renewables.

What I add on to that is that the increase consumption of natural gas, combined with the drop in investment, has to come out of some other piece of the fossil fuel pie. We happen to know that is primarily coal.

We also seem to have arrived at peak oil. It'll be clear in retrospect (so we don't yet know), but it seems that peak oil will later be pegged to somewhere in the 2020 to 2025 time period. Whatever the specific point in time, its soon.

All of which could still be increasing in absolute numbers as more and more people in the world gain access to a larger and larger energy budget.
@adiggs
take a glance at the US Energy Flow charts from 2010 and 2021 (11 years but hey, all I could find
(98,000 Trillion BTU energy is a bit more than 97.3 Quads but tuff to do in my head)
Solar .130 vs 1.5 (factor of vauguely 11
wind .920 vs 3.33 (factor of ~3.5)
Coal 21 vs 10.5 (div by 2)(50% _down)
Petro 36 vs 35, (down a tad but remember, EV's are 3-4x as efficient as ICE so that will accelerate)

(2021 is the most recent graph they have)
(I am unable to shrink the graphs so apologies there)

Also you can see increase in Nat Gas use

1689279748678.png

1689279708386.png

Last edited:
@adiggs
take a glance at the US Energy Flow charts from 2010 and 2021 (11 years but hey, all I could find
(98,000 Trillion Quads energy is a bit more than 97.3 Quads but tuff to do in my head)
Solar .130 vs 1.5 (factor of vauguely 11
wind .920 vs 3.33 (factor of ~3.5)
Coal 21 vs 10.5 (div by 2)(50% _down)
Petro 36 vs 35, (down a tad but remember, EV's are 3-4x as efficient as ICE so that will accelerate)

(2021 is the most recent graph they have)
(I am unable to shrink the graphs so apologies there)

Also you can see increase in Nat Gas use

View attachment 955986

View attachment 955985
But amazingly, society was still able to waste more energy than in 2010. hahaha. stupid humans. stupid fossil fuels.

But amazingly, society was still able to waste more energy than in 2010. hahaha. stupid humans. stupid fossil fuels.
notice generation of electricity by coal is down 50%.
then get BP Statistical Review of world energy excel sheet and look and Wind and PV gains since 2010 to present date
the slopes of the curves are getting more positive, and 1 EV's energy usage replaces 3-4 ICE vehicle

notice generation of electricity by coal is down 50%.
then get BP Statistical Review of world energy excel sheet and look and Wind and PV gains since 2010 to present date
the slopes of the curves are getting more positive, and 1 EV's energy usage replaces 3-4 ICE vehicle
yeah, no doubt. I just noticed looking at the graphs that natural gas was the culprit of why the 'rejected energy' went up. We are making progress for sure though. :)

If the cybertruck price and range hold or come close in specifications, that is itself remarkable. To get a huge 22 foot pickup truck with 500 mile range!? If there is accommodation for load and towing capacity with minimal degradation of range then the unloaded cybertruck would theoretically have to have a longer than 500 mile range. Finally, if these specs hold up, then the model S and X would have to change-- such as the (unicorn) plaid+, so that a lower cost car specs don't outperform the top of the line models.
The Model 3 only had a single motor at first, so maybe they don't do the LR Tri-motor at first and decide to give Ford a fighting chance. 350-400 range could be enough initially. Anyone buying that would be in it for the show and tell or lighter duty. But I'm with you on the max range for towing (and charging a boat at the lake somehow).

Reactions: larmor
Cybertruck isn't going to move the revenues needle until sometime in early to mid 2024 though. Until that time we only have production increases coupled with Megapack sales to boost our earnings, and with the now lower margins due to price cuts we could be in for a 6-12 month window of TSLA mostly going sideways, between $250-$350.
6-12 month window of $250-$350 is not sideways. If it gets to $350 in the next 6-12 months that would be a 26% increase in under a year. Most people would kill for those kinds of returns.

Us $TSLA investors are so jaded.

Well, I see the desire for a stock buyback has popped up again. Let’s see…… a plant in India, a plant in South Korea, something in Indonesia, something in Canada all maybes. A plant in Mexico, doubling Berlin, more in China, expansion in Nevada and spending money like a drunken sailor in Texas. Where do they get the money for a buyback? Tesla needs every dime they can scrape up to advance the cause.

If Tesla's margins get back to 20% for Q2 and then stay at that going forward for the next year, then macro's will have a lot of say in terms of what happens with TSLA.

With each passing month, we get inflation and economic data that points to a goldilocks scenario for the Fed. Much of the actual impact of inflation are lagging data points which are forecasted to continue to drop (housing/rent) for the next 6-10 months. This practically guarantees continuing cooling of inflation for the next 12 months. This sets up the Fed to lower rates to a more practical 3% rate going forward (1-2% rates are not coming back imo).

If the goldilocks scenario does indeed come to pass, every stock will enjoy PE and/or PS ratio expansion. TSLA will likely trade in a range of 350-450 in that scenario and then increase from there as Tesla is able to actually raise prices over the next year (as Fed reduces rates from 5.25% to 3% area) and realization of reduction in operating costs and COGS.

Now if Tesla manages to more rapidly recognize reduction of operating costs and COGS, then obviously it will show through in earnings and thus I see TSLA more in a range of 400-500 as the goldilocks scenario comes to fruition.
The hope is that rates can come down allowing prices to inflate and that said goods inflation won't lead to higher rates again?

I don't think there is a scenario where car prices can ascend without eliciting a response from the central banks, an uptick in goods inflation will lead to higherer rates for longerer. And IMO this is a real risk right now in this year of strikes or borderline strikes with workers fighting for their slice of the profit pie and higher wages to combat the inflation, but companies need to not raise prices in response.

Disinflation here is effectively margin compression for corporations, wages need to go up and prices need to stay the same or come down. We just had a strike at a major port here in BC, UPS is currently gearing up for what could be the costliest strike in a century and there will be pressure from investors who want the company (and all the other companies out there) to maintain profit margins amid the labour cost increases.

The Fed will be keeping rates high for a lot longer than 2-3 months IMO, this will take a long time to play out.

Well, I see the desire for a stock buyback has popped up again. Let’s see…… a plant in India, a plant in South Korea, something in Indonesia, something in Canada all maybes. A plant in Mexico, doubling Berlin, more in China, expansion in Nevada and spending money like a drunken sailor in Texas. Where do they get the money for a buyback? Tesla needs every dime they can scrape up to advance the cause.
I'd prefer a split. Not yet but when we hit $400 or 500. TSLA buys back shares and the shorts will just create more shares out of nothing to sell to drive down the SP.

Last edited:
Reactions: CaliBear1
If Tesla was smart, they would spread out deliveries to that Cybertrucks are going to all areas of the US. Who knows how much that hype will translation in share price appreciation.
Vehemently disagree. That would be Tesla being dumb.

1) Tesla has never cared to hype their SP. So, just no.

2) It’s not smart for Tesla to do what you suggest and why they’ve NEVER done it that way. Smart is CT to employees and to customers who live very close to Austin factory so any potential problems can easily be rectified, then expand outwards.

3) No extra hype needed for Tesla as the CT is already sold out for the first 2+ years. Dumb to specifically try and create hype and thus longer wait list.

Since Tesla is smart, they’ll ignore your idea.

The hope is that rates can come down allowing prices to inflate and that said goods inflation won't lead to higher rates again?

I don't think there is a scenario where car prices can ascend without eliciting a response from the central banks, an uptick in goods inflation will lead to higherer rates for longerer. And IMO this is a real risk right now in this year of strikes or borderline strikes with workers fighting for their slice of the profit pie and higher wages to combat the inflation, but companies need to not raise prices in response.

Disinflation here is effectively margin compression for corporations, wages need to go up and prices need to stay the same or come down. We just had a strike at a major port here in BC, UPS is currently gearing up for what could be the costliest strike in a century and there will be pressure from investors who want the company (and all the other companies out there) to maintain profit margins amid the labour cost increases.

The Fed will be keeping rates high for a lot longer than 2-3 months IMO, this will take a long time to play out.
We've gotten into this before. Unions do not make up that much of the workforce in the US. I posted statistic after statistics showing Union wages are non-material last time we had a back n forth about union strikes/wages.

Also, we just saw significant wage growth. Wage growth is above inflation growth now....and yet inflation kept dropping. Gee how can that be????

Oh right....because this inflation cycle was in fact a supply shortage induced inflation cycle.

Last edited:
It has been posited that Canada will become a haven for climate refugees if the world continues warming, between our colder northern climate across a huge land mass + plentiful fresh water + low population.
While Canadian winters are cold, their summers can be pretty darn hot, humid, and full of biting insects. Luckily(?) they are also short :p

We've gotten into this before. Unions do not make up that much of the workforce in the US. I posted statistic after statistics showing Union wages are non-material last time we had a back n forth about union strikes/wages.

Also, we just have significant wage growth. Wage growth is above inflation growth now....and yet inflation kept dropping. Gee how can that be????

Oh right....because this inflation cycle was in fact a supply shortage induced inflation cycle.
It is of course not just unions who are seeing big pay increases, but I know what I see in my industry: unions set the precedence, and then non-union companies play catch up until they're back at parity.

While Canadian winters are cold, their summers can be pretty darn hot, humid, and full of biting insects. Luckily(?) they are also short :p
It can definitely be a land of extremes, especially in the prairies! But that might smooth out too, I'm not sure how it would all be expected to work out.

Nothing like going from -40 Celsius to +40 in the same year.

Reactions: replicant

Also, we just saw significant wage growth. Wage growth is above inflation growth now....and yet inflation kept dropping. Gee how can that be????

I don't believe the govt numbers on inflation or wages. First, because the govt keeps going back and revising numbers a few months later when less people are paying attention. Second, the govt numbers don't match what I'm seeing in my professional circles or my social circles. I manage teams in software development. No one is getting the wage growth I see claims of. Go post that elsewhere online and watch the responses. It isn't real for the majority. Inflation has also been worse than reported. House prices are rising here again. Food prices are still rising here as well. Etc.

I don't think Tesla will do a stock buyback anytime soon. I believe Elon still considers a hard recession a strong possibility and I think Tesla will hang onto cash. I also see Tesla pushing harder to sell vehicles than I've witnessed in the past. I've had several texts regarding trying to talk me into buying a Model S. I've also received more emails from Tesla in the past few months than in any past equivalent time.

I hope things get better and the economy improves. As it is, the working class are hurting.