Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That will still work... at the lake... recharging my eBoat. Slow, but something, maybe more.

OT - Has ANYONE talked about chargers at lakes? Boats don't mess around. They push the carbon and heat directly into the water and without catalytic converters, not some passive process with gas cars. It's 96F water temp in the Florida Keys. What?
I've thought about this a bit. Not sure how easy it would be to setup docks with DC chargers. I think it would be better to install 240v systems at individual slots like we do with our garages at home. My dock already has 120v for random stuff. That would be just fine for my pontoon if it were electric.

The big power boats will remain gas for a long time I think.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
Never said he did. I said the camera was suggested to eliminate the nag not the touch, as you stated in your original post. And pointed out that's the thread Elon subsequently responded to.

Both of which are correct.

I mean, what you actually said was using the camera to verify hands on wheel. As a reminder of your words-

It's still possible that the system will still confirm you to have your hands on the wheel via camera, as the Tweet mentions.

Which the tweet does NOT mention and as I pointed out is not actually possible since the camera can't see the wheel to tell if your hands are on it.

The camera CAN see if your head is up and facing the road....and if you don't have sunglasses on and it's not dark it can see if your eyes are facing the road... but that's it.... and a bunch of S/X don't even HAVE the camera for that matter.

But the camera is not needed when FSD is actually FSD, though?

Sure- but that's not remotely "soon" and the nag would obviously not be needed then either.

That will still work... at the lake... recharging my eBoat. Slow, but something, maybe more.

OT - Has ANYONE talked about chargers at lakes? Boats don't mess around. They push the carbon and heat directly into the water and without catalytic converters, not some passive process with gas cars. It's 96F water temp in the Florida Keys. What?
This video from Bjorn shows a boat dock in Olso Norway, complete with AC and DC chargers.

The boat featured is a Candella C-8 that's powered by Polestar batteries. I could easily see Tesla doing a deal to supply powertrains to boat makers in a similar way, or just doing their own boat.

Last edited:
Intuitively, it doesn't seem like there could be that many other brands of EV's that anyone would want to buy that many of to make up the other 31% or 40% of EV's, and it seems like Tesla's % would actually be a lot higher.
The situation is very different in Europe, which seems to have more options in terms of rival EVs. I see a lot of Teslas in the UK, but also a fair few Hyundais, and VW IDs, even a fair few Jaguar EVs. The MG4 is getting very popular here too.

TBH Teslas market share in the US is pretty incredible given only 4 models and no truck. This will soon change.

Something I hope is on Tesla's radar is a Van. It feels like the Van is the European pickup truck. Every trader here has a van, like a ford transit or something much smaller. Tesla wont sell many cybertrucks in Europe even if they offer it, so I hope they are planning on a van to fill that market. Would be an ideal case for a European design team (Berlin?) to work on. Work vans do a lot of mileage and the owners are cost-conscious so happy to switch to EVs.

Never said he did. I said the camera was suggested to eliminate the nag not the touch, as you stated in your original post. And pointed out that's the thread Elon subsequently responded to.

Both of which are correct.
I don’t get it, if you eliminate the nag they will not nag whether using force fedback or camera. So what do you expect to happen if I still don’t touch, at all?

The cabin camera was never even intended for driver monitoring, Elon's comment way back when was that eyeball tracking lacked accuracy and preciseness for that. The cabin camera was actually solely intended to monitor occupants while the vehicles were operating in Robotaxi mode, to dissuade/capture vandalism and such, or so the story goes.

I'd be really curious to see how the camera would be used effectively for Autosteer on City Streets. Other systems use cameras alone, but they typically are not attempting anything near as complex as City Streets and are just driving in straight lines on highways doing a lane change here or there. When City Streets is about to pull Chuck's unprotected left turn, enter a roundabout, or navigate downtown in major cities, the system will need to have a very high degree of confidence that the driver is actually ready to grab the wheel and correct in a split second.

This video from Bjorn shows a boat dock in Olso Norway, complete with AC and DC chargers.

The boat featured is a Candella -8 that's powered by Polestar batteries. I could easily see Tesla doing a deal to supply powertrains to boat makers in a similar way, or just doing their own boat.

That Swiss Swedish boat is $1/4 million. One grounding and it's toast IMO (unless the foils collapse somehow and reset).

I'd like a little sprint/ski boat with smaller batteries, or a pontoon. They are coming but also super expensive and very large (or they just put-put at 5 mph).

The boat industry is possibly prime for doing it at Tesla speed and cost. I never understood how a 175HP outboard Merc in the late 1900's could cost $12K when you start with infinite cooling from the lake and zero emission requirements. Production volume is a demand problem, yes. So this one boat had better be that good!

Last edited:
Intuitively, it doesn't seem like there could be that many other brands of EV's that anyone would want to buy that many of to make up the other 31% or 40% of EV's, and it seems like Tesla's % would actually be a lot higher.

Also I wonder what Tesla's percent is in dollars?

Well, I guess your intuition sucks.

Tesla was 337k in 2023H1
Over 125k sales in 2023H1 just from HyunKia, GM, VW and Ford, which were #2 to #5.
(Of course other company sales are to dealers so you have to look at trend in inventory.)
Then there's Mercedes-Benz (19.3k), BMW (18.0k), which takes you over 1/3 of the market.
Toybaru 3.7k + 3.0k
Polestar Q1 was 2.6k.
There's also Rivian.

That seems consistent with the 60% first quarter share but higher in Q2.

There are plenty of other good EVs. As the DCFC improves for other manufacturers, Tesla's market share will very obviously drop. But NEVI was coming anyway, so better for Tesla to get to keep NACS, its customers to get expanded charging access, and for Tesla to solve its own problems rather than to rely on others' failures.

Last edited:
Nice up action...shorties covering or retail coming in in anticipation of next week?
Another view... as I mentioned yesterday, ongoing leaks are keeping us pumped. We don't even need the production start, just a price tag and range please. Maybe the windshield wiper uses ultrasonics. Who knows!

Here's a thought. If the Q2 margins were "marginal", I think Tesla might go easy on the hype and lay low. Why pump it up only to crash it on (relatively) poor margins (by Tesla standards)? In contrast, good margins could be why we are being teased during this period. I'm expecting more good news!

I've thought about this a bit. Not sure how easy it would be to setup docks with DC chargers. I think it would be better to install 240v systems at individual slots like we do with our garages at home. My dock already has 120v for random stuff. That would be just fine for my pontoon if it were electric.

The big power boats will remain gas for a long time I think.

The boat featured is a Candella -8 that's powered by Polestar batteries. I could easily see Tesla doing a deal to supply powertrains to boat makers in a similar way, or just doing their own boat.
Most saltwater marinas will have shore power... 120V 30A is pretty standard... but some places will have 125/250V 50A, but those cables are thick/heavy/pricey. I have a light 18' boat at a marina nearby... I built it up to be electric, using a Pure Watercraft propulsion system, but they're only delivering systems locally (Seattle area( and not Canada (yet)... they want to have a field tech in any area they sell to, so I think it will take a while since they just started delivering systems not long ago. I went ahead and got a 60hp Yamaha ICE for this season and maybe next season too... check these folks out!

Edit: to make it relevant to $TSLA, I think Tesla could buy these folks up, help them ramp, provide batteries, etc. Their tech and UI is great, sleek, elegant, simple... would be easy to replace their logo with a Tesla "T"! :)

Another view... as I mentioned yesterday, ongoing leaks are keeping us pumped. We don't even need the production start, just a price tag and range please. Maybe the windshield wiper uses ultrasonics. Who knows!

Here's a thought. If the Q2 margins were "marginal", I think Tesla might go easy on the hype and lay low. Why pump it up only to crash it on (relatively) poor margins (by Tesla standards)? In contrast, good margins could be why we are being teased during this period. I'm expecting more good news!
I hope you are right, but as a long term TSLA shareholder, we all know its a crapshoot, regardless of good news or not.

A tip that really really helped me: You don't have to turn the wheel for the car to know you're paying attention. You can just adjust the scroll wheels slightly. Tick the volume up a notch and back down on the left scroll wheel is my most common strategy. It is much more certain than trying to tug on the steering wheel just the right amount. I think it probably also works to do it "preemptively" -- so hit that volume wheel just before the tricky section of road, and the car will know you're there.
Scroll wheels might work in a newer car, but as your Tesla accumulates miles, the scroll wheels become less responsive. They still function, but you have to spin them a lot to get a response.