Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Own up. Which one of you did this?

Attachments

• 365980894_10225846162953203_1380738064618893897_n.jpg
    365980894_10225846162953203_1380738064618893897_n.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 208
“…Perhaps sensing that the ground is shifting beneath their feet, Big Oil is now taking the fight out of the back rooms and onto the airwaves. Investigative journalist Amy Westervelt recently spotted “the first modern-day anti-EV ad from an oil company,” wherein ExxonMobil urges consumers to “break free” from the electric cords that bind “for the love of driving.”…”

From an editorial in today’s Toronto Star:

Very objective video by Autoline going over first half performance by major auto manufacturers. We can quibble about the point system used at the end to determine the rankings, but used numbers strictly, taking out any subjective conclusions.

TBH, I expected Tesla to do better than it did on some of the per-vehicle metrics such as revenue per vehicle, gross margin per vehicle and operating income per vehicle. I recall the 2022 report card had Tesla much higher on the list. The price cuts had a substantial impact on the per vehicle metrics.

My conclusion is Tesla has so much growth ahead and it's going to be fun watching Tesla continue to climb up this list. All of those big numbers by legacy OEMs are going to drop precipitously over the next 5 years.

Tying it to the investment thread, I wish there was a practical way of betting on the long term demise of all of these companies. All strategies involve using substantial capital, capital that I've decided is better put towards TSLA.
Had I made this video, the only editorial opinion that I would have voiced after the presentation…

“…is that only one of those companies is all BEV, and every other company claims that BEVs are not profitable. If true, how could Tesla even be on that list to begin with.”

Cory Steuben (ex-Murone) is on live Q&A with DirtyTesla:
Cory teased that he was flying to a large city for job search. Sounds like it was LAX / Los Angeles not that far from Hawthorne and many many other companies. Maybe he'll make use of his vehicle design, engineering, manufacturing knowledge? Or perhaps expand from his Munro Live creation to Hollywood. ;)

Very objective video by Autoline going over first half performance by major auto manufacturers. We can quibble about the point system used at the end to determine the rankings, but used numbers strictly, taking out any subjective conclusions.

TBH, I expected Tesla to do better than it did on some of the per-vehicle metrics such as revenue per vehicle, gross margin per vehicle and operating income per vehicle. I recall the 2022 report card had Tesla much higher on the list. The price cuts had a substantial impact on the per vehicle metrics.

My conclusion is Tesla has so much growth ahead and it's going to be fun watching Tesla continue to climb up this list. All of those big numbers by legacy OEMs are going to drop precipitously over the next 5 years.

Tying it to the investment thread, I wish there was a practical way of betting on the long term demise of all of these companies. All strategies involve using substantial capital, capital that I've decided is better put towards TSLA.
It has been said many times by the Tesla team that current margin drag is temporarily. This is the first time Tesla opened two money furnaces at the same time and the last two quarters were all about pushing to mass production, which is has peak drag on margins along with 4680s. The next phase will be margins optimization which is going to be a major tailwind for Tesla along with less fx impact and raw material deflation.

Here is that ExxonMobil ad:

Still trying to find it as it seems to be pulled. Apologies.

Edit: These ten stills give you the idea. Pretty pathetic ad. Mobil 1's Thinly Veiled Anti-EV Advert Isn't Fooling Anyone

More edit: I believe this one still shows the full ad. Most of my other attempts said "removed by uploader" or some such: Mobil 1 Says: Break Free of What Binds You and Hit the Open Road

Last edited:

Edit: These ten stills give you the idea. Pretty pathetic ad. Mobil 1's Thinly Veiled Anti-EV Advert Isn't Fooling Anyone

More edit: I believe this one still shows the full ad. Most of my other attempts said "removed by uploader" or some such: Mobil 1 Says: Break Free of What Binds You and Hit the Open Road
Just terrible. Scroll down this article to see it:

It's true and BAF when you get a product you love so much that you want to tell everyone about it... and yeah, Tesla owners talking about the share price, also true, because again, the product is so good that you want to get involved and you buy some stock

I've never known any other company like it, Apple to a certain degree, but nowhere near the same level of enthusiasm

Yesterday my wife and I went to a meeting of people we hadn’t seen for many years.
A Balinese woman that lives in The Netherlands and who owns a restaurant here, approached me.
She asked: ‘Do you still have that Tesla that you told me about many years ago?"
I replied: “Well, yes. We still have it, by now almost 350.000 km on it and we have been driving it all around Europe."
“Well”, she said, “your stories about the car were so enthusiastic, that I have bought a Model Y. And I absolutely adore it!”
Now, in my memory I just told her the cold economical facts in the past, but apparently my love for the car has shown a little between the lines...

A weekend OT Question....
Has anyone seen a good / comprehensive video that demonstrates what safety capabilities Tesla's have? I am wondering about blind spot accident avoidance / chimes, pedestrians avoidance etc? I know Tesla vision is quite capable and I would like to sell these capabilities to someone and I really don't have a great understanding of the current capabilities...

• Helpful
Reactions: jkirkwood001
A weekend OT Question....
Has anyone seen a good / comprehensive video that demonstrates what safety capabilities Tesla's have? I am wondering about blind spot accident avoidance / chimes, pedestrians avoidance etc? I know Tesla vision is quite capable and I would like to sell these capabilities to someone and I really don't have a great understanding of the current capabilities...
Um. This shouldn't be a surprise, but Tesla runs a web site, Safety | Tesla, that touts all the various safety features of the car. It's not One Small Video, it's a bunch, with lots of text as well.

Wow, that’s not very subtle! All I can say is good luck with that! I think it’s going to backfire.

Wow, that’s not very subtle! All I can say is good luck with that! I think it’s going to backfire.
Dunno what's going on here, but tried to watch it. And Youtube no longer has it. That was 40 minutes ago?

Looks like the sheer laughter has caught Exxon by surprise... And they're doing damage control.

Taiwan's EV sale figure for the first half year came out with good news for Tesla. This is according to stat from Taiwan's Ministry of Transportation.

1. Tesla Model Y, 5674, priced around NT$2,120,000
2. BMW iX, 1012, priced from NT$3,300,000 - 6,600,000
3. Tesla Model X, 861, (856 of them in June) priced from NT3,180,000
4. Volvo SC40 Recharge, 632, priced around NT$1,790,000 for single motor
5. BMW i4, 426
6. BMW iX1, 330
7. Mercedes EQE, 306, priced from NT$3,260,000
8. Tesla Model S, 254, priced from NT$2,740,000

Source:
密碼台灣》台灣電動車 兩大品牌掛帥 - 自由財經

Taiwan's EV sale figure for the first half year came out with good news for Tesla. This is according to stat from Taiwan's Ministry of Transportation.

1. Tesla Model Y, 5674, priced around NT$2,120,000
2. BMW iX, 1012, priced from NT$3,300,000 - 6,600,000
3. Tesla Model X, 861, (856 of them in June) priced from NT3,180,000
4. Volvo SC40 Recharge, 632, priced around NT$1,790,000 for single motor
5. BMW i4, 426
6. BMW iX1, 330
7. Mercedes EQE, 306, priced from NT$3,260,000
8. Tesla Model S, 254, priced from NT$2,740,000

Source:
密碼台灣》台灣電動車 兩大品牌掛帥 - 自由財經
No Model 3?

Not mentioned in that news article.

Tesla doesn't sell cars made in Shanghai in Taiwan for geopolitical reasons. As far as I'm aware they are supplying from the Germany Gigafactory which explains why it's only Model Y for now. This article has some details:

Last edited: