Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supply and demand and price elasticity. Tesla just went through a margin peak before interest rates went up (soften demand) and ramping factories increased supply. Probably easier to scale H100s than a complete vehicle...
The only destiny Nvidia commend are their software and design. H100 is monolithic and on the edge of what a monolithic chip size can be. It was not designed for manufacturing ease in the silicon world. They also have limited wafer agreements with tsmc's highly sought after 4nm and can only go down to 3nm after Apple is done with them. Everyone is 1 gen behind Apple, tsmc's largest customer.

So Nvidia deals with many manufacturer bottlenecks because they don't have their own fab and the entire semi industry want the high end stuff from tsmc. So their growth in earnings has a lot to do with price gouging than actual production.

I saw that and while parts may be true, the part where the people selected have already configured their CT, given pricing, and not asked to sign an NDA was a bit unbelievable.
But they weren't given the option to configure, or the actual price. Just that it would be high end and high $70ks. (There is probably nothing to configure at this point. It will be the top trim version with FSD, take it or leave it.)

Unless they picked 20-30+ people that have no presence on social media, no intentions of telling other people, etc...which is extremely unlikely. One of them would have leaked the price and info.
And what do you think would happen if they leaked what they learned directly? They would lose their launch event reservation. They want, maybe even need, the early access to the Cybertruck to make tons of money from early posts/videos/reviews about it, so no NDA is necessary. It is also possible that they were each given slightly different information so that even third-party leaks could be traced back to the source. (Elon has done things like that in the past.)

Whereas I read it as a "first principles" approach. Very similar to: "toy cars are built from a single casting, rather than 100's of individual parts, we should be able to as well."
I don't know about Lego being cheap, currently looking at a Lego Millenium Falcon kit that is $1100 CAD and you need to assemble it yourself!

The CT makes me wonder if the intent was to make it simple and cheap but then things started adding up, and when you reach a certain point it starts making sense to add complexity like ambient lighting and such

I don't know about Lego being cheap, currently looking at a Lego Millenium Falcon kit that is $1100 CAD and you need to assemble it yourself!
Manufacturing cost != price.

But yeah, I get you ... Lego's are crazy expensive for what they are.

The CT makes me wonder if the intent was to make it simple and cheap but then things started adding up, and when you reach a certain point it starts making sense to add complexity like ambient lighting and such
I believe that original goal for cybertruck was to reimagine what a truck could be in the context of an EV with a "clean sheet design". As an adjunct to that was the goal of designing it to be as economically feasible as possible, recognizing that, A) they would likely need to develop new construction methods and tools, and B) there's no sense designing a vehicle that will be priced at $250K.

First case I've ever seen of a full on software based unintended acceleration scandal. Surprising how many steps it takes to trigger and I'm sure someone somewhere will try and say Tesla has the same issue.

Already happened before you posted on r/electricvehicles on Reddit lol

But...I remember a certain grumbly cat on this forum claiming that the Highland Model 3 would NOT be a hatchback, that there was zero chance of that?

Looks like a hatchback to me!!! :p

EDIT: Although I kind of disagree with @Cult Member , I think this might simply be a Model S sitting behind the CT. I think I see a plaid badge there under the tail light. Looks a LOT like a Model S profile to me...maybe the grumbly cat was right after all? 🤔

vqFUAU4.jpg
I was told the Model 3 is already a hatchback by some people, while others complained they wished the Model 3 was a hatchback. Like seriously. Thus the grumpiness on the topic.

This should cover it: Model 3 refresh will not see any change in the lift gate hinging location making it more or less of whatever hatchback definition people want to use.

Last edited:
I call this fake. Sub 10 micron accuracy is the size of a red blood cell. No way this kind of accuracies can be achieved - especially mass produced.
I can believe the need exists. The eye will see warping x10 if it's flat and was a concern of mine initially until I saw it shine one day (and only on camera).

So.... production challenges yes of course. Call this a lucky pass, but I just machined some plastic last night to less than 10 um precision. It did not register on my calipers, so in the ball park anyway +/- tooling variances. I was surprised as I'm usually off 20-30 um due to material thickness variations, but it could be done if I had controls over my materials as well because I have to flip the piece and machine it both sides. Think about that - in a garage no less!

Can I do it again... IDK. Am I Tesla, hell no!

I was told the Model 3 is already a hatchback by some people, while others complained they wished the Model 3 was a hatchback. Like seriously. Thus the grumpiness of the topic.

This should cover it: Model 3 refresh will not see any change in the lift gate hinging location making it more or less of whatever hatchback definition people want to use.
Now can we have an argument about whether a hatchback would sell because Americans don't like them but Europeans do? 🥸