Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When does China hit peak coal?
Probably in the next 12-24 months the way things are going.

The real issue is the extent to which coal is having to make up for the wrong amount of rain in the wrong place at the wrong time - and as a cpnsequence hydro power in China is down over the last couple of years.

Approximately I reckon 12 months to peak coal if rain returns to normal, or 24 months to peak coal if rain stays this poor. Both assuming that wind+solar continue to build out at the current pace or better.

(I've commented on this a few times recently in the Energy News thread)

(It is possible to throw many other caveats in - no nuclear tsunamis, etc)

(the same holds true for India)

My Tesla investment thesis in two charts:

2023-ethc.png

.... but then ....

Fzio1m7X0AMkdly.jpg

Attachments

• 1693330033741.jpeg
    1693330033741.jpeg
    4.9 KB · Views: 127
Funny FUD...
Elon Musk's Tesla almost ran a red light during a FSD demo

• Elon Musk's Tesla almost ran a red light at a Palo Alto intersection while demoing FSD software.
  • A video appeared to show Musk taking the wheel after the software misread a traffic signal.
  • The billionaire live-streamed the drive on X, formerly known as Twitter.
During the video, the Tesla CEO may have violated California law by holding his phone during the live-streamed drive. When contacted about the potential violation, the Palo Alto Police Department told The Verge they wouldn't be issuing a fine because police didn't see the incident themselves.
🤣
Lol this is peak LAME. I don't even know how much more lame a "news" organization can get by contacting the police on Musk...lol.

So I'm guessing it's some sort of update to the software then? Pretty much what we expected (or nothing at all).

This "special order" is just asking Tesla to provide information about the "Elon Mode", that the green guy on Twitter mentioned is in the FSDb code, that, when enabled, allows drivers using Autopilot to operate their vehicles for extended periods without Autopilot prompting the driver to apply torque to the steering wheel. They ask all sorts of questions like when was it introduced, how many cars have it, how you enable it, how you disable it, what the mode does/changes, etc.

Tesla had until August 25th to respond, but I don't see anything posted showing that they have responded yet. (NHTSA can be a little slow in posting documents.)

Excellent article on investing by Francesco Casarella as posted this morning on Investing.com

Screen Shot 2023-08-29 at 4.42.12 PM.png

"So, the choice is ours: we can squander our time and energy attempting to predict how the markets will perform tomorrow, or we can take the simpler path - ride along with them, occasionally rebalance, set goals and allocations, and allow the market to do its thing."

Regarding elons micron email about the CT:
That looks pretty darned good to me. I guess there are people out there who go around their car with measuring calipers etc, but they are the 0.1%. Not only do the current CTs look fine, its the one vehicle that can probably *genuinely* look more cool if it has dents and scratches anyway.

After hours question. (...perhaps there is another thread but I only read this one...)
Anyone care to opine on why "The Cybertruck is a hard car to make because it's such a radically new design you can't just use conventional methods of manufacturing"? I guess I have not understood the exoskeleton part. All the pictures I have seen look rather conventional to me other than the outer stainless steel is thicker and hence more robust. All cars are exoskeleton to some degree. Anyway I get the new design to be built in Mexico is pretty radical but the cybertruck feels like the structural model Y design with a different skin. I hope the reason it is hard to build is that is actually being assembled in novel ways that in the long run will make it cheaper to produce.

Anyway I get the new design to be built in Mexico is pretty radical but the cybertruck feels like the structural model Y design with a different skin. I hope the reason it is hard to build is that is actually being assembled in novel ways that in the long run will make it cheaper to produce.
We are only guessing to some extent.

The hard part of the skin seems to be that is a harder material to worth with and tolerances need to be tight, The car before they put the skin on also needs to be built to tight tolerances, there are fewer "adjustments" that can cover up minor errors.

I think it is being assembled in a novel way which requires less factory floor space and is similar to the unboxed process they will use for Gen3 cars in Mexico. if is very likely that a lot is done to the CT before the skin is attached.

In terms of parts and processes I expect some overlap between CT, Model 3 Highland and Gen3, some new things in those vehicles which will probably eventually migrate to all models.

CT may be the closest Elon comes to under promising and over delivering. I think the vehicle itself will be better than those outside the Tesla bubble expect and sometime n 2024 they will get all of the kinks out and manufacturing should be going smoothly.

After hours question. (...perhaps there is another thread but I only read this one...)
Anyone care to opine on why "The Cybertruck is a hard car to make because it's such a radically new design you can't just use conventional methods of manufacturing"? I guess I have not understood the exoskeleton part. All the pictures I have seen look rather conventional to me other than the outer stainless steel is thicker and hence more robust. All cars are exoskeleton to some degree. Anyway I get the new design to be built in Mexico is pretty radical but the cybertruck feels like the structural model Y design with a different skin. I hope the reason it is hard to build is that is actually being assembled in novel ways that in the long run will make it cheaper to produce.
I kind of feel like you answered your own question within your question:

- it's such a radically new design
- outer stainless steel is thicker
- being assembled in novel ways that will make it cheaper to produce

Reactions: scaesare
Regarding elons micron email about the CT:
That looks pretty darned good to me. I guess there are people out there who go around their car with measuring calipers etc, but they are the 0.1%. Not only do the current CTs look fine, its the one vehicle that can probably *genuinely* look more cool if it has dents and scratches anyway.
(Market = closed) the frunklid looks very questionable

Anyone care to opine on why "The Cybertruck is a hard car to make because it's such a radically new design you can't just use conventional methods of manufacturing"?
For starters everyone should have to try and bend/fold big sheets of stainless steel and not crack it.