Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In spite of yet-another episode of overnight bedwetting, Tesla's move to drop retail prices on S/X to qualifiy for IRA tax credits was inevitable: Folks just don't want to miss out on tax cuts. Don't believe it? Ask Lucid how sales are going...

A side-benefit is that Model S LR now becomes exempt in Canada from the 10% Luxury Car Tax with a sticker price drop to CAD $99,990 (a $9k reduction):

This tax advantage will move some aluminum up North to Canada. And the increase in take-rate due to FSD price cut will likely pay for it all (esp. after the v.12 demo)! :D

Cheers to the Longs!

Annotated photo
My guess: Powerbank to power supply to clamps to engineering harness to vehicle.
F45NT4AbMAADwiL.jpg

Cybertruck thread

I am glad I made money with TSLA because buying Tesla cars have been money down the drain. It has to be worse artificial depreciation curve of any car.
In my case I put the 35K from the sale of my trade-in M3 and bought calls and cashed out at 97K and paid off the X ;)

+ lower price but higher interest rates … Tesla needs a finance/loan division ….

cheers!!

Last edited:
I am glad I made money with TSLA because buying Tesla cars have been money down the drain. It has to be worse artificial depreciation curve of any car.

To the thumbs down. My car is down over 50% in value in 2 years with 11k miles on the odometer and I didn't even buy it at the peak of the market 🤣. Key word "artificial".

Cars with the worst resale value in 2022

The cars with the most depreciation in this list have a 50% depreciation after 5 years and I assume at least 50k miles. Buying a Tesla right now is an amazing deal... maybe.

My MY was paid for with a big margin bet (not my normal practice) and if I'd kept the money in stock instead of paying for the car, I'd be worse off. I'm okay with the price cuts.

The price cut on FSD is a bigger loss to me. Those of us with FSD locked in at 7-8K on our CT orders just lost instant equity.
Assuming FSD prices don't go back up before delivery.

Absolutely massive price cuts to Model S/X. Reach under the $80k tax credit threshold is great for Model X, but will now also put downward pressure on Model Y prices.

As I astutely observed, used car prices rapidly falling in July and August predicted Tesla would have to make these kind of moves.

The FSD price cut should help margins a little bit, but I'm guessing most people get the monthly subscription anyways.

It seems almost certain now that Q3 will have even lower earnings than Q2. I wonder how long the market will let a company have a PE ratio as high as 73 when earnings growth is zilch.