Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, I expect that Tesla will debut Robotaxi at the Superbowl in Vegas on Feb 11, 2024 and they'll have a fleet of (oh, WAG) maybe 500 robotaxis running v12 FSD just shuttling game goers between the airport, the strip/hotels, and the stadium. PRICELE$$ :D

Cheers to the Wild Ones!

Your wild theory would indeed be amazing to see. I don't think there's much of a chance of this happening, but if it does we should see evidence soon of testing, certifications, etc. As the first Gen 3 product nears completion.

Meanwhile, I can't wait to see the first Cybertrucks delivered and the ensuing content. It can't be long now, Cybertrucks are being spotted all over the US. Should we start making bets? I'd say maybe Oct 1 so the first deliveries are in Q4.

You guys are way to pessimistic on Gen 3! It's clear that Tesla installed an extra stamping press months ago. They don't need a new paint shop (no paint!). And Walter Isaacson told us that Elon was spenting hrs each week this past Summer 'shaving milliseconds' off of each step in a highly-automated assembly line. You don't do that in a CAD model, you do it on the factory floor. The Gen3 line already exists!

Again, I expect that Tesla will debut Robotaxi at the Superbowl in Vegas on Feb 11, 2024 and they'll have a fleet of (oh, WAG) maybe 500 robotaxis running v12 FSD just shuttling game goers between the airport, the strip/hotels, and the stadium. PRICELE$$ :D

I'd be equally impressed (but not surprised) if The Boring Company announce a contract to buy 100K robotaxi's or some such. Or even, if Tesla bought TBC.

Cheers to the Wild Ones!

Brian doesn't think Gen3 is happening at Austin, but I think Brian is wrong.

For starters Gen3 achieves a > 40% reduction in factory footprint.

Why is the Mexico factory so big?
IMO that is because there are multiple lines.

If we consider the Gen3 process to be multiple parallel lines feeding a final line, Gen3 works best with some buffering, there is no reason to shutdown a parallel line if one of the other lines or the final line has a temporary shutdown.

The Austin factory might not have space for buffering, it could perhaps be considered a pilot line, or a series or gradually improving pilot lines.

Austin doesn't need to initially achieve a high run rate, some production will allow validation, testing, crash testing etc.

Tesla is increasingly starting out with lower volume pilot lines for new products, 4680, Semi, and perhaps others.

Some of the parallel lines may be common to the 2 Gen3 models, for low volume pilot production not all parallel lines need to be duplicated.

Compared to a Model Y line, 2 Gen3 pilot lines is in the range of 1 line to 1.2. lines.

We don't know how much space there is at Austin, but I think they can squeeze this in.

Eventually these pilot lines might move out of the main Austin building to make room for an additional CT line, perhaps not to Mexico, but to a new building at Austin, if this is necessary.

Looking at the shutdown at Austin and moving end-of-line across the highway, it might be related to set up to start low volume Robotaxi production.

So 500 by Feb 11 seems possible, but that would be most of them, they may only be building 100 per week by the start of 2024.

Last edited:
Welcome to the "I will be right eventually club". Amusing that during $TSLA's freefall from Oct 22 - Jan 23, he did not reiterate the sell recomendation.

1694650107463.png

My reading between the lines: CT starting soon, but we can´t say it officially, especially since you´re a youtuber.

Lol, how many "Teyonna with Tesla Sales" are there in the Company? I bet it's single digits (possibly single bits).

My reading is that "Corporate" already sent that msg to the sales advisor. Like we don't know CT's coming! :p

Cheers!

• Funny
Reactions: ShareLofty
I see less discussion lately on the 4680 battery progress. We have a couple of local Facebook groups and it’s common to see people recommend against any vehicle with the 4680 battery due to various reasons including slow charging and other issues. A huge change from two years ago where everyone wanted to wait for the 4680. I have no idea if any of this is true or where they get this from but am wondering if anyone in the know would care to briefly sum up the 4680 status, shortcomings, advantages, production. From an investors point of view. Kinda hard to find info on the topic.

Thanks in advance.

I see less discussion lately on the 4680 battery progress. We have a couple of local Facebook groups and it’s common to see people recommend against any vehicle with the 4680 battery due to various reasons including slow charging and other issues. A huge change from two years ago where everyone wanted to wait for the 4680. I have no idea if any of this is true or where they get this from but am wondering if anyone in the know would care to briefly sum up the 4680 status, shortcomings, advantages, production. From an investors point of view. Kinda hard to find info on the topic.

Thanks in advance.
It's because Brandon F on twitter charged his 4680Y from near 0 and found that the 250kw rate was only sustained for like 10% before it drops off, giving it the slowest overall charge rate comparable to an ID4.

Now we are not sure if Tesla will send out a software update to fix this issue later because they are gathering safety data for now or is this just a 4680 problem next gen will fix...

we should see evidence soon of testing, certifications, etc. As the first Gen 3 product nears completion.

Imma pass this point over to @mongo since TBC tunnels are private (non-public) routes, and they may not have the same rules as vehicles intended for use on public roads. For instance, does Disney have to licence it's fleet of customer shuttles? What rules apply there?

Cheers!

You guys are way to pessimistic on Gen 3! It's clear that Tesla installed an extra stamping press months ago. They don't need a new paint shop (no paint!). And Walter Isaacson told us that Elon was spenting hrs each week this past Summer 'shaving milliseconds' off of each step in a highly-automated assembly line. You don't do that in a CAD model, you do it on the factory floor. The Gen3 line already exists!

I'd be equally impressed (but not surprised) if The Boring Company announce a contract to buy 100K robotaxi's or some such. Or even, if Tesla bought TBC.

Cheers to the Wild Ones!

Man, you sure are a super optimist, aren't you? :D

I'd love it if you were correct, but my nature is far too realist to expect that much awesome to happen so soon. I still think late 2024 is the absolute soonest we'd see anything on the Gen 3 car publicly revealed.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, no way to sugar coat it, current 4680 charging performance on Model Y AWD sucks

I did a detailed analysis and posted here a while ago, but the TDLR is that from analyzing all the data we have, it seems that Tesla for some reason is being ultra conservative, either to not make it a good deal since they don't have a lot of supply, or due to caution

The good is that this means there might be a lot of room for improvements, if they will ever realize it on vehicles already sold nobody knows, maybe in the future it will be just Model Y LR, and it will come with either 2170 or 4680 cells and the user won't know or notice a difference

Charging time from 10-80% with possible future updates and compared to 2170 packs

Model 3 Panasonic - 24 min
Model Y LG - 32 min
Model Y 4680 - 38 min
Model Y 4680 Best Case - 21 min
Model Y 4680 Worst Case - 24 min

1694654547684.png

1694654509433.png

Teslas Q2 deck lists Berlin at 375k and Austin at ">250k"-- and notes that's "installed capacity" not the actual current run rates.

They'd both have to more than double those numbers to get you anywhere near 50% growth for 2024 from the 1.8M projected for 2023.... (and more than that if Tesla beats 1.8 this year)... and that also assumes Shanghai at 1M a year, a despite it only being listed at ">750k" in the shareholder deck from Q2 2023 and for Fremont continuing at max capacity output of 650k

Isn’t Berlin & Austin capacity restraint primarily from lack of battery supply? ramping production might be considerably easier than previous ramps when its a supply of a component that is an issue, rather than factory output capacity.

Imma pass this point over to @mongo since TBC tunnels are private (non-public) routes, and they may not have the same rules as vehicles intended for use on public roads. For instance, does Disney have to licence it's fleet of customer shuttles? What rules apply there?

Cheers!

Teslas in TBC tunnels in LV are currently far heavier regulated than private cars on public roads.

For example TBC isn't even allowed to use basic AP in the tunnels- all driving is done manually.

But the biggest problem with your theory, as already pointed out, is the tunnels you suggest them using do not actually exist, and won't exist by superbowl time either.

Isn’t Berlin & Austin capacity restraint primarily from lack of battery supply? ramping production might be considerably easier than previous ramps when its a supply of a component that is an issue, rather than factory output capacity.

Again the #s I cite are not only direct from Tesla, they specifically call out those #s are max installed production capacity for vehicles assuming no supply or uptime constraints.

So lack of cells might be why they're short of actual production to those numbers-- but fixing that doesn't magically offer a path to double those numbers which they would need (plus a bit more) to hit the production target for 2024 being discussed without any new factories online.

Yes, no way to sugar coat it, current 4680 charging performance on Model Y AWD sucks

I did a detailed analysis and posted here a while ago, but the TDLR is that from analyzing all the data we have, it seems that Tesla for some reason is being ultra conservative, either to not make it a good deal since they don't have a lot of supply, or due to caution

The good is that this means there might be a lot of room for improvements, if they will ever realize it on vehicles already sold nobody knows, maybe in the future it will be just Model Y LR, and it will come with either 2170 or 4680 cells and the user won't know or notice a difference

Charging time from 10-80% with possible future updates and compared to 2170 packs

Model 3 Panasonic - 24 min
Model Y LG - 32 min
Model Y 4680 - 38 min
Model Y 4680 Best Case - 21 min
Model Y 4680 Worst Case - 24 min

View attachment 973697

View attachment 973696
Thanks for the detailed brief. So are Model Y LR being built only in Austin or are they also built in Fremont? Does the buyer know or have a choice in which factory the car comes from?

I assume Chinese model Y’s are a different battery manufacturer.

Reactions: GhostSkater
Last edited:
Article 31 of the EU Financial Regulation states that the grant signature shall not be signed later than 8 months after the deadline of the call for proposals. As this is a multiple cutoff call, in this case it's not the final call deadline, but the cutoff that was then evaluated, which for this award was 13th April, implying the grant will be signed before 13th December:

1694676181323.png