Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mod: 24 posts moved to Cybertruck rock crawling --ggr
Which is helpful (moving the off topic discussion that followed), but misses the point of the first post in that thread. I didn't post the video because of off road capabilities. I posted it because it was live streamed from the official Tesla account.

It's yet another sign of the impending Cybertruck release which I consider to be a material event when it happens. They are calling attention to the product on the main Tesla account. Is that not stock related news?

1696893054975.png

Last edited:
I see 2, right? So matching die set or 2 separate ones as @Mengy mentioned.

Yeah, bigger than has been seen before I think. So if it’s not for cybertruck (which I figure would have been seen when the ones in use arrived), then my thoughts go to next Gen. And given the size, it’s for casting the whole underbody as single piece…

Wild guess and I know people follow these things much closer than I do - posting in the hope they will comment.

Which is helpful (moving the off topic discussion that followed), but misses the point of the first post in that thread. I didn't post the video because of off road capabilities. I posted it because it was live streamed from the official Tesla account.

It's yet another sign of the impending Cybertruck release which I consider to be a material event when it happens. They are calling attention to the product on the main Tesla account. Is that not stock related news?

View attachment 981000

I was gonna say something but let it go lol

For me Cybertruck performance and capabilities is directly tied to TSLA, specially this close to launch and when comparing to competitors

Could these be single piece Gen 2 molds?
Holy crap those are huge dies!!! 😮
given the size, it’s for casting the whole underbody as single piece…
These two large containers are more likely to be the sandcasting molds required to make the prototype dies for the 16K ton Gigapress (Tesla will make their own prototype dies rather than outsourcing them).

F8AX_dLXsAAZWuK.jpg

So we wouldn't expect the dies themselves to arrive via shipments; we'd expect the dies to be manufactured inside the plant at Giga Texas. The sandcasting equipment to make the dies is a one-time purchase, so no need for Tesla to 'roll their own'.

Gigacasting 2.0: Tesla reinvents carmaking with quiet breakthrough | REUTERS (Sep 14, 2023)

P.S. If the sandcasting technique works, and Tesla decides to make Gen3 in a single casting, then we'd expect production castings for the dies to occur at Giga Texas (then shipped to Shanghai, Berlin, and Monterrey)

These two large containers are more likely to be the sandcasting molds required to make the prototype dies for the 16K ton Gigapress (Tesla will make their own prototype dies rather than outsourcing them).

View attachment 981040

So we wouldn't expect the dies themselves to arrive via shipments; we'd expect the dies to be manufactured inside the plant at Giga Texas. The sandcasting equipment to make the dies is a one-time purchase, so no need for Tesla to 'roll their own'.

Gigacasting 2.0: Tesla reinvents carmaking with quiet breakthrough | REUTERS (Sep 14, 2023)

P.S. If the sandcasting technique works, and Tesla decides to make Gen3 in a single casting, then we'd expect production castings for the dies to occur at Giga Texas (then shipped to Shanghai, Berlin, and Monterrey)
Ideally sandcasting works without a super large Gigapress, mostly because they don't have one. :)

If this is right, the shipment is headed for the die-shop, which makes sense but doesn't explain why it is staged close to the main factory.. But there could be a simple explanation like paperwork.

We did see those super strong foundations being built in the die-shop.

Ideally sandcasting works without a super large Gigapress, mostly because they don't have one. :)

In case I wasn't clear, the sandcasting process is for rapid prototyping of dies for the Gigapress; the Gigapress will still create the castings used in each car. I sure roto-REUTERS deliberately got this wrong in their Sep 14th article (they love to twist the story and seed confusion).

What this sandcasting capability does is accelerate the development of the necessary dies by over a year, while cutting prototype costs from $1M to $30k each (half a dozen typically required to achieve final design usable in production).

Cheers!

Interesting turn of events in Vermont where Green Mountain Power will be supplying home batteries to customers. Some will be from Tesla.

Green Mountain will control them (VPP?)

S/X sales have held up pretty well in North America given the factors you cited and the fact that Tesla discontinued the standard range model and only recently brought it back.

However all things considered, they have cratered in Europe and China.
Yes, it would appear that Elon may no longer consider them to be "Flagship" products? Or perhaps he has been told: EU sales may well be dismal in areas with a high number of roundabouts (i.e. the EU and UK) as the stalkless design with variable, constantly moving turn signals (as we now have with the Highland update--this will be interesting to watch . . . ) would be seen as the remarkable threat to safe driving that it is. The Europeans take driving seriously, and the redesign fails in this area, despite the many improvements otherwise achieved.

In this short Highland ride-along video we see Bjorn laugh out loud at the absurdity, and comment on how the test driver must have driven this route many times (on the second roundabout):

Elon's "my way or the highway" thinking if often brilliant, but when he is wrong it is concerning as it appears no one at Tesla is willing to tell the emperor he has no clothes for risk of being fired on the spot. This level of hubris has me wary of the increased, and self-induced, risk to our large TSLA investment.

It should concern all of us and is quite frustrating that this is occurring, yet many fanbois here persist in ignoring these warning signs . . . .

Most popular places to work among young people in Sweden, Tesla drops from third place to 50! Ratar Musk men älskar Ek – här är ungas drömjobb

Respondents answer that they do not agree with Musk's views and statements and therefore do not want to work at Tesla.

Some of you may see this as an irrelevant political discussion - I know since moderators have erased similar posts in the past - but to me this is very relevant to Tesla. Being able to attract top talent matters a lot. Shareholders and board should put pressure on Musk to stop tweeting irresponsibly as it damages the company.

---

Mod: you may find it relevant, and in some ways it is. The problem is the verbal diarrhea that usually follows when the subject is brought up. If that happens again, your post and the responses will have to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most popular places to work among young people in Sweden, Tesla drops from third place to 50! Ratar Musk men älskar Ek – här är ungas drömjobb

Respondents answer that they do not agree with Musk's views and statements and therefore do not want to work at Tesla.

Some of you may see this as an irrelevant political discussion - I know since moderators have erased similar posts in the past - but to me this is very relevant to Tesla. Being able to attract top talent matters a lot. Shareholders and board should put pressure on Musk to stop tweeting irresponsibly as it damages the company.

---

Mod: you may find it relevant, and in some ways it is. The problem is the verbal diarrhea that usually follows when the subject is brought up. If that happens again, your post and the responses will have to go.
In some ways it might be a blessing in disguise. People who are intolerant enough to not accept differing view cause a lot of HR trouble in companies in my experience.

Last edited:

---

Musk owns 14% of the company .and is the biggest single shareholder so his voice is the strongest.
Only a group of shareholders that together own more than 14% should have a say on this.
And then he is the CEO, there are procedures how a CEO can be replaced or his decisions influenced.

C in CEO has a meaning.

We came here because of his decisions. Totality of them.

Last edited:
Only a group of shareholders that together own more than 14% should have a say on this.
I see your point of course, but there is a first principles over ride in that the ultimate decider is the customer. No customers or a turn in customer enthusiasm would have a lot of influence.

Tesla is a consumer discretionary purchase. The “stalks” issue should/could be very interesting.

I am reminded a bit of Star Trek and whether the uniform of the future should have pockets. At the same time Levi’s was selling a lot of jeans with pockets that would wear out before the jeans. I used to buy pocket reinforcements that would extend the life of jean pockets. Pockets don’t seem to be going away, probably the same with stalks.😂

Yes, it would appear that Elon may no longer consider them to be "Flagship" products? Or perhaps he has been told: EU sales may well be dismal in areas with a high number of roundabouts (i.e. the EU and UK) as the stalkless design with variable, constantly moving turn signals (as we now have with the Highland update--this will be interesting to watch . . . ) would be seen as the remarkable threat to safe driving that it is. The Europeans take driving seriously, and the redesign fails in this area, despite the many improvements otherwise achieved.

In this short Highland ride-along video we see Bjorn laugh out loud at the absurdity, and comment on how the test driver must have driven this route many times (on the second roundabout):

Elon's "my way or the highway" thinking if often brilliant, but when he is wrong it is concerning as it appears no one at Tesla is willing to tell the emperor he has no clothes for risk of being fired on the spot. This level of hubris has me wary of the increased, and self-induced, risk to our large TSLA investment.

It should concern all of us and is quite frustrating that this is occurring, yet many fanbois here persist in ignoring these warning signs . . . .
There will be 3rd party options for those who want stalks.

not quite what you’re looking for, but your area would have a company doing natural building that will build you an actually eco friendly house that’s durable and healthy to live in.
The entire housing market is bankrupt in terms of sustainability. Just look at the floors in any modern home, sustainably harvested? Nope. Easiest thing in the world for the builders would be to demand that from suppliers. Heat pumps, insulation, cabinets, doors, and on and on. Nothing is done with sustainability, there is no closed loop economy, there are no double bottom line considerations.