Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Generally agree with your view, but Highland Model 3 has actually 17 instead of 14 speakers.
It´s beyond me how they are adding 21% speakers to a sound system I have not really heard any general criticism of while dropping 100% USS.

I think it is one of those things where a single person at the top making decisions alone is not a good idea. Everyone makes mistakes, but in a team decision it is unlikely all make the same mistake at the same time. On the other hand, without many of Elon´s decision that a team likely would not have dared to make, Tesla wouldn´t be where it is now.

Me and my family rented an M3 last week and my wife & kids repeatedly remarked about how much more comfortable our MY is in the back seats. I never checked it out for myself but I'm sure the improved comfort is a valuable upgrade. The upgrade I want is to be able to address my car by name and not have to press a silly button.

Reactions: growler23
We're coming up on tax-loss-selling season and if the SP drops below a critical threshold (probably around 220), we could get sucked into a tax-loss-selling worm hole.

TSLA ended the year in 2022 at $123.18 so if people have tax-losses to harvest in 2023, they are trading Options way too much (and losing their shirts while feeding the bares). :p

sc.TSLA.1-Year-Chart.2023-10-13.w.DMA200.png

Cheers to the Options-adverse!

TSLA ended the year in 2022 at $123.18 so if people have tax-losses to harvest in 2023, they are trading Options way too much (and losing their shirts while feeding the bares). :p

View attachment 982517

Cheers to the Options-adverse!
I agree people trade way too much and option traders probably even more. If share price drops into the 220 to 230 range there are people who bought since June who may start selling. If that pushes the price into the 100s, then we have people who bought from Feb. to April who might join in.

Generally agree with your view, but Highland Model 3 has actually 17 instead of 14 speakers.
It´s beyond me how they are adding 21% speakers to a sound system I have not really heard any general criticism of while dropping 100% USS.

I think it is one of those things where a single person at the top making decisions alone is not a good idea. Everyone makes mistakes, but in a team decision it is unlikely all make the same mistake at the same time.
You’ve made an assumption here that you have zero proof is factual. The assumption that Elon made this ‘add speakers’ decision I find bizarre. You can’t actually believe he’s sitting on his toilet making these kinds of minute decisions!?

I would venture a more logical guess that Elon isn’t making 90%+ of the decisions people complain about him making. Though he takes the blame for everything that goes wrong at Tesla, he’s not actually the person making all the mistakes. You realize this, right?

And no, no single person is or should be held responsible for everything that goes wrong. He can’t be privy to every decision being made; that’s why there are hundreds of executives and managerial positions in the company.

Let’s start by finding out who the person is in charge of vehicle sound systems. I’m pretty confident that’s not Elon.

You’ve made an assumption here that you have zero proof is factual. The assumption that Elon made this ‘add speakers’ decision I find bizarre. You can’t actually believe he’s sitting on his toilet making these kinds of minute decisions!?

I would venture a more logical guess that Elon isn’t making 90%+ of the decisions people complain about him making. Though he takes the blame for everything that goes wrong at Tesla, he’s not actually the person making all the mistakes. You realize this, right?

And no, no single person is or should be held responsible for everything that goes wrong. He can’t be privy to every decision being made; that’s why there are hundreds of executives and managerial positions in the company.

Let’s start by finding out who the person is in charge of vehicle sound systems. I’m pretty confident that’s not Elon.
At least other than general guidelines (e.g. Let's make great sound systems in our cars). I don't have any doubt that Elon said something similar.

Reactions: unk45
A key aim for 2024 has to be make as many 4680 cells as possible then make as many vehicles as possible with those cells.

Outside of Cybertruck I am unsure about the priorities, that is because making higher margins on higher volumes of Model 3/Y is just as important as the Semi.

For the Semi what is mostly needed is more cells to make more Semis, the customer ROI on each truck makes the sale, a lower sale price isn't as important as for Model 3/Y.

If 4680s increased the load that a Semi could haul and further increased the ROI, then that is a more compelling argument for using 4680s.

Once Sparks is making 4680s using them in Semis seems logical, shipping 4680s from Fremont or Austin to Sparks might not be the best option.
It would be fascinating to get insight into margin per battery kWh for each vehicle.

The other question I have is why aren’t they building out Sparks right now? Semi high volume production is gated by that, isn’t it?

Panasonic NCA cells made in Japan are eligible under the materials sourcing requirements of the IRA. When sold in a Model X LR (Model S is still over the price cap), that sale now qualifies for the entire $7,500 IRA credit (which becomes an instant rebate after Jan 1st, 2024). The net result is a demand increase for Model X.

Note that 'Made-in-Japan' cells are IRA-eligible because of these two announcements:

Japan Trade Agreement | U.S. Customs and Border Protection (Apr 05, 2021)

US, Japan sign trade deal on electric vehicle battery minerals | reuters.com (March 28, 2023)
You are mixing the customer vs manufacturer side of the IRA credit

Customer side is the $7500 or $3750 for the person buying if the vehicle meets all the requirements

Manufacturer side is 35$/kWh for cells manufacturing and 10$/kWh for module/pack assembly if those happens in the US, and that credit goes to the company making them

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3 and jerry33
The other question I have is why aren’t they building out Sparks right now?

Minerals, and the lack thereof. Supply chain comes first. When we see the Cathode Plant in production at Austin, and the Lithium Refinery running in Corpus Christi, then Tesla will have the straw it needs to make bricks. No point in building out a supply chain outside N. America for Giga Nevada or Giga Texas.

I think it is one of those things where a single person at the top making decisions alone is not a good idea. Everyone makes mistakes, but in a team decision it is unlikely all make the same mistake at the same time. On the other hand, without many of Elon´s decision that a team likely would not have dared to make, Tesla wouldn´t be where it is now.

From what I have seen and read, Tesla added two in the roof bar above the driver ( actually brilliant location for Dolby Atmos), moved the the two speakers that were in the upper A pillar to the door ( easier production, speakers already in the door panel, just connect the cabling) and moving from sub in a poly enclosure to two free air subs in the deck with its own amplifier.

Can see cost savings and audio improvements from the changes made. And not including savings from negotiated pricing with the speaker driver supplier,

I agree people trade way too much and option traders probably even more. If share price drops into the 220 to 230 range there are people who bought since June who may start selling. If that pushes the price into the 100s, then we have people who bought from Feb. to April who might join in.

So this increasingly hypothetical 'someone' would not be us, right? ;)

Cheers to the Longs!

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-10-16.10-15.png

Again, looks like MotorTrend got first dibs...........................Yes, this is a form of marketing.

Is MotorTrend reviewing EAP in the abstract here, or does Highland in the US have Autopark and Summon functionality restored?

Enhanced Autopilot, at $6,000, is a trickier proposition. The automatic lane-changes generally work well, though you'd better be ready to countermand them quickly when they're unwanted, because the car doesn't give you much time to think about it. We appreciate it keeping an eye behind us and getting out of the way of faster traffic as well. We also like the "Navigate on Autopilot" feature's ability to take flyover ramps and off-ramps. We find certain other features far less useful. The Summon setting that drives your car to you in a parking lot still doesn't work well and mostly feels like a novelty. The Autopark feature works fine but we're not convinced anyone actually uses this technology in any car, let alone a Tesla.

The next time someone talks about panel gaps, notice this from MT.

"Oh, yes, Tesla knows about the panel gaps. Despite all prior evidence, it cares about this ongoing problem, and fixing it wasn't just about shutting us up. Tighter panel gaps are better for aerodynamics, so not only does the new Model 3 look like it was built by a company that cares but it achieves the lowest coefficient of drag of any Tesla at 0.219, down from 0.225."

All this to say, Tesla is going to sell alot of these, and just wait till Juniper arrives.

A Model Y with ultrasonic sensors (USS) doesn't warn you about scuffing wheels. USS doesn't work that way, they aren't positioned to sense curbs, and make no difference for rubbing them. Ask me now I know with my Apr '22 Made-in-Fremont Model Y equipped with USS.
For those of us so limited, there are:

Ask me how I know?

IMHO this means we’ll be able to order highland in the USA by the end of the week.

If they're smart, they do it near the Earnings Call, and add a hefty price increase. Clears out those inventory legacy 3s, and gives folks a final chance to get the full IRA credit before it goes away for LFP on Jan 1st, 2024 (IE: Std Rge Model 3). That's Good Marketing! ;)