Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope we can keep U.S. politics out of this thread. Including people trying to tie things to U.S. politics. 50% of voters U.S. identify as independent... but people devoted to maintaining the duopoly resolve everything as left vs. right, democrat vs. republican, ignoring that afar more voters are independent/issue-based and a lot of the matters discussed really have no connection with U.S. political parties/partisan behaviour.

I also hope we can keep politics out of this thread.

But we do need to discuss it at a high level because as EVs become politicized it is a risk factor for Tesla stock. We just need to be careful.

This is a huge deal to me, as this could finally prove that Big Oil need Tesla to stay in the game, and are happy to let the wolf in as long as they keep control over the operations (cf press release where Tesla only sell the hardware and integrate with the network so Tesla customers can access them seamlessly).

Auto had to partners with Tesla with NACS, but with Big Oil joining the game, this is not about plug anymore but the whole energy system. If only Tesla was ramping solar!

If bp is fine with procuring powerpacks for they chargers, why would other providers not do the same? We knew electric utilities need them, but Tesla's main competitors are auto-manufacturers and O&G companies. bp is broacasting a clear message to the whole ecocystem.

It also help Tesla streer clear from antitrust accusations. They could easily stonewall their garden but they play fare and accept to give access to the technology they develop for a decade. This coopetition will help consumers compare network on a level playing field, since the tech is the same. This should force Tesla to seek the best locations and to continue lowering their prices.

I think the forum members here are a very specialized subset of the car buying public. I person don’t know anybody as political as some people on this site appear to be. The evidence I see over the years is that people buy by price, reliability and tradition ie Ford vs Chevy, or Toyota vs Honda etc. In the 50s people started buying cars from companies that used slave labor during the war. In the 60s cars from Japan took over the market. many people have short memories when they need a product and a company fills that need at a good price. Mr Musks opinions are nothing compared to this. I used to know a survivor of the death camps, who lost her whole family in the camps and drove BMWs.

I think this is a big deal? We've all suspected that Tesla‘s DC chargers are significantly cheaper than other manufacturers. No wonder other companies like Chargepoint, who also make DC chargers, have tanking stock prices.

Edit: I expect to see many more announcements like this in the coming year. I suspect Tesla was holding off doing this until they started ramping V4.

It's certainly a positive for Tesla, even though TSLA will likely shrug it off. It's also interesting to see how serious BP is about migrating to green energy and away from fossil fuels, even if it is a baby step in that direction.

I wonder if Tesla will upgrade it's supercharger factory for higher output, or even build a larger supercharger factory?

• Funny
Reactions: Krugerrand
Not sure if this was mentioned.... Hertz is getting pounded today. They reported lower EV resale values and higher than expected EV repair costs. Recall most of their EVs are Teslas (35k of 50k total or 70%).

I should add this quote:

"about double what the company pays to fix damaged gasoline cars," Chief Executive Officer Stephen Scherr.

Last edited:
This new data supports this theory

No it doesn't: https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/03/cars/tesla-buyer-politics/index.html
Surveys show Tesla shoppers are only slightly more likely to be Democrats than Republicans.

Surveys by research firm Morning Consult show that in January about 22% of Democrats were considering buying a Tesla, while 17% of Republicans were looking to purchase one. And that gap has been closing — Republican consideration of buying a Tesla has risen about 3 percentage points just since December’s survey. And Republicans are slightly more likely to trust the Tesla brand, 27% compared to 25% among Democrats.

“The customer base is not significantly skewed towards Democrats,” said Lisa Whalen, Morning Consult’s auto and mobility analyst.

New vehicle registration data from IHS Markit suggest that “blue” states - those that voted for Biden over Donald Trump - are more likely to have a higher share of EVs than “red” states. But many of those red states are very rural and have a high percentage of pickup truck registrations, and EV pickups are still virtually nonexistant. Many of the more rural blue states also have low EV adoption rates. And some of the blue states have better incentives for EV buyers, such as state tax credits or the ability to drive in car pool lanes on highways.

This new data supports this theory:

View attachment 985436

“EV ownership is deeply tied to voting behavior in the U.S., according to a report by BloombegNEF.

For every 10 percentage-point increase in Joe Biden’s share of votes in the 2020 election, the concentration of EVs was roughly 50 percent higher. The partisan rift goes well beyond preferences linked to income, urban density or the current rate of truck ownership.“

The mere facts behind the plethora of benefits EVs bring, and, how they directly impact the wallet for all aspects of ownership, will be the dominant factor which will move buyers away from ICE.

Lower comparative purchase price, long-term operational cost savings, reduced maintenance costs/hassles, and increased performance will be the things that make EV purchase a compelling choice for anyone with average intelligence and enough snap to appreciate having more money in their pocket. All, without breathing a word about the environment, party affiliation, nor any other polarizing topic.

For now, FUD has been a deterrent to the facts reaching a wide audience. But, that's okay, for now. Eventually production will be to the point that more fact-based information can be disseminated in proportion necessary to boost demand so it will pace production.

Slowly, but surely, fact will beat FUD to a bloody pulp. Though that need not happen until the production rate accommodates any demand increase a broader grokking of EVs will generate.

Those who have embraced emotional arguments for avoiding EV purchase will be assimilated into the collective as their friends and neighbors reap the multitude of rewards EV ownership offers. Keeping up with the Joneses is an aspect of any paradigm shift which involves the masses, as Tony Seba has shown.

Resistance is futile.

Last edited:
We believe that chart?
I personally do, as in my experience Tom Randall is probably the best "old media" journalist out there regarding EVs.
He's no particular fan of Elon but always has given due credit to Tesla for the EV revolution.

The whole article is here:

while the X thread is here:

Not sure if this was mentioned.... Hertz is getting pounded today. They reported lower EV resale values and higher than expected EV repair costs. Recall most of their EVs are Teslas (35k of 50k total or 70%).

I should add this quote:

"about double what the company pays to fix damaged gasoline cars," Chief Executive Officer Stephen Scherr.
Yeah the price cuts and repair costs are doing real damage, and heavily pursuing this was their modus operandi right out of the bankruptcy gate

Not looking good, nor does this bode well for EV fleet sales in general

I personally do, as in my experience Tom Randall is probably the best "old media" journalist out there regarding EVs.
He's no particular fan of Elon but always has given due credit to Tesla for the EV revolution.

The whole article is here:

while the X thread is here:

This is my personal opinion only. F150 Lightning is not gaining traction just like Beyond Meat.

Beyond Meat tries to replace real beef, but it tastes worse and it is significantly more expensive. After the initial buzz, people will go back to the real thing. The same thing happened with F150 Lightning. Sure it is a cool EV but it is so much more expensive than the regular F150 and it really doesn't do anything better.

This is why I think Cybertruck will succeed. It is not trying to replace something that already has a proven record. It is also beneficial Elon is not viewed as a liberal democrat. As Michael Jordan famously said, Republicans wear shoes too. So IMO, Cybertruck and Rivian R1T will succeed whereas F150 Lightning and Silverado EV will flop.

I also hope we can keep politics out of this thread.

But we do need to discuss it at a high level because as EVs become politicized it is a risk factor for Tesla stock. We just need to be careful.
I actually think this political chart would be the same if we replaced the X axis with income. Tell me I'm wrong.

Yeah the price cuts and repair costs are doing real damage, and heavily pursuing this was their modus operandi right out of the bankruptcy gate

Not looking good, nor does this bode well for EV fleet sales in general
Hertz is still pro EV. They are shifting the EVs to ride share drivers.
Pursuing first mover advantage, focus on customer experience, channel mix, and charging; working on damage and cost of repair, including with OEMs.
SmartSelect_20231026_112004_Firefox.jpg