Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It could be as simple as tires and fixing broken things.

Teslas/EVs go through tires quicker and Tesla is super expensive to repair. They get a lot of small accidents or negligence on rental cars.

I've owned 3 Teslas and until the 30k mark, they are cheaper on fuel but tire wear, especially the original tires, is not something I've ever experienced in any of my other cars, which offsets any oil change or maintenance schedule cost.

I don't think it's BS, but most aren't treating their personal car like a rental.

With gas savings, still cheaper per mile...easily, but rental companies don't pay for gas. So that savings is cut out.
But wasn't the problem that most Teslas were given to Uber drivers, not rental customers? Uber drivers get in more wrecks than rental customers.

When the cheaper next gen tesla is released, hertz will absolutely order a huge number of them.
Tesla definitely need to make a model that people drive to get from A to B, not to be sporty, or hit 0-60 benchmarks. Even the cheapest Tesla right now is fast enough that my wife would want it in 'chill' mode full time. People who drive a model S plaid often forget that most car-buyers do not give a damn about top speed OR acceleration. And I say that as someone who bought a model Y performance :D.

But wasn't the problem that most Teslas were given to Uber drivers, not rental customers? Uber drivers get in more wrecks than rental customers.
I think in general people treat cars that aren't theirs worse.

I drive at least a rental a week and all the 23 models have scratches, broken interiors, etc.

It could be as simple as tires and fixing broken things.

Teslas/EVs go through tires quicker and Tesla is super expensive to repair. They get a lot of small accidents or negligence on rental cars.

I've owned 3 Teslas and until the 30k mark, they are cheaper on fuel but tire wear, especially the original tires, is not something I've ever experienced in any of my other cars, which offsets any oil change or maintenance schedule cost.

I don't think it's BS, but most aren't treating their personal car like a rental.

With gas savings, still cheaper per mile...easily, but rental companies don't pay for gas. So that savings is cut out.
I still dont know why people go through tires. We simply dont. Our 2015 Model S had to have the tires replaced once and we sold at 120K miles. Our 2018 Model 3 still has 2 original and 2 replaced because of picking up a bolt. I guess if you jackrabbit start all the time it could wear them down, but we dont do that. We take advantage of the speed for passing and the like, but I dont have to drag race everyone.

From what I remember, Hertz was saying that maintenance costs were lower than for ICE, just as expected. The problem was that collision repair costs were quite expensive and collisions were more frequent than expected.

I suspect that a lot of folks are renting a Tesla from Hertz with the intention of having some fun with the quick acceleration and speed. This would lead to a higher collision rate than they see with other models.
Trust me, there is a learning curve to just jumping into a Model 3 and heading off to your meeting if your daily driver is not a Tesla., Just trying to adjust the mirrors while driving in new environs can be frustrating and anxiety inducing. Higher incidents of "oops" does not surprise me.

:confused: @StarFoxisDown! is another one of the way-too-many folks who's contributions I miss.

Around 2018, there were a few heavy hitters here who were discouraged just by to many off-topic posts, if I remember correctly. I wish I had an answer to fix all this.

Much thanks to those who continue to contribute in this and other forums.
i find many of the off topic posters are also gone .... you can't take yourself so seriously online ... their loss according to me... this is still the place to find the latest on TSLA/Tesla in one place even with all the noise ...

I still dont know why people go through tires. We simply dont. Our 2015 Model S had to have the tires replaced once and we sold at 120K miles. Our 2018 Model 3 still has 2 original and 2 replaced because of picking up a bolt. I guess if you jackrabbit start all the time it could wear them down, but we dont do that. We take advantage of the speed for passing and the like, but I dont have to drag race everyone.
Similar experience. 2018 Model 3 with 140k km's on the same 2 sets of summer/winter tires. So about 70k each and they still have 20-30% tread remaining.

I don't think Brazil is known for their high labor cost 😅
Correct, in some ways. Employee benefits are expensive, ancillary costs are high, enough so. For the rubric ‘Brazil costs’ to be relevant. There are enough opportunities and efficiencies to keep some countries in active investments, notably Chinese and EU entities, but also, GM which actually designs some models in.Brazil, others in Korea etc.

The competition for highly qualified people is intense, so the most qualified approach EU/US global price levels. As with several major countries dealing with averages kills seeing the opportunities. Opportunities are often missed by looking only at past sales in a given category.

The easiest and most obvious way to assess probable markets in middle income markets is to look first at GINI coefficient, then look at the size of the top 1%, 5% and trends.

FWIW, Brazil manufactures aircraft, has maintenance and production of turbojet engines, and so on. I use Brazil as an esample, but similar stories for India, Indonesia, Thailand and others can be made.

Tesla is really quite ready for entry in several such markets. Each is uniquely positioned and structured and each will fail with a cookie cutter approach. Prudence and acute awareness of these realities is a giant strength of Tesla. They’ll do each of these slowly and deliberately.

FWIW, Elon’s cousin lives in Rio de Janeiro and Elon visits here every few months. He’s learning, but not talking.

Similar experience. 2018 Model 3 with 140k km's on the same 2 sets of summer/winter tires. So about 70k each and they still have 20-30% tread remaining.

How is that possible? I must drive like a maniac.

My 2019 Model 3 at 180k is on my third sets of all season tires and 2nd sets of winter. Both sets of tires are due to be replaced next year.

Some awesome charts from my boy Xill, worth a follow on X since he does these charts quarterly

The TTM ones are the most interesting in my opinion since it smooths out QoQ variance, and they show how Tesla is clearly leading (Sorry Mary) and even BYD isn't closing the gap that fast

1698765871258.png

1698765880908.png

1698765912228.png

1698765924276.png

1698765939027.png

You are definitely the exception of Tesla drivers.

From what I remember, Hertz was saying that maintenance costs were lower than for ICE, just as expected. The problem was that collision repair costs were quite expensive and collisions were more frequent than expected.

I suspect that a lot of folks are renting a Tesla from Hertz with the intention of having some fun with the quick acceleration and speed. This would lead to a higher collision rate than they see with other models.
I don't understand why this wouldn't be covered by insurance. Why is Hertz paying out of pocket for damage done by customers?