Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can somebody please respond to this report? All my friends HATE EVs and thing the entire thing is a complete scam. Reports like this fuel their fire.

View attachment 989226
Haters gonna hate. I've only this somewhat tangenital answer:

I drive my Model X around a lot, answer questions, often lend it to a well-connected, level-headed TSLA-investing friend to do likewise, and while towing an at-capacity flatbed full of big, heavy, rusty-ol' machinery on it (something out of the realm of most folk's expectations for what a Tesla will be seen doing), I'll answer questions about why range was no issue and how great it is to drive around with power from my solar panels and how it only takes 10 seconds a day to charge it at home while I sleep. If the subject comes up, I'll point out that modern Tesla's need their batteries replaced little more that ICE cars need their gas tanks replaced.

I think trailering large loads of visable, exposed goods between businesses gets the attention, in a good, seeing-is-believing-sort-of-way of at least a few folks at the destinations, fixing errent perceptions by example.

Not the digital-age answer to that FUD example you were looking for, but we've lent my Tesla twice to friends who ended up buying their own.

I know the feeling. It’s much like the odd one out in a political gathering, very frustrating and challenging to counter the FUD no matter how much you know.

But after a while, you become the guru in you circles. They be asking you for the updates as they start to question things. They will test the FUD on you to see if it sticks. Good luck, cuz logic isn't most people’s forte now a days.
Truer words never spoken! You nailed it. For now I enjoy the debate, however repetitive it can seem sometimes!

My guess this is what is driving the stock lower not the HSBC rating.

Picked up 25 just now. I couldn't care less what POTUS said (while trying to pull in and grow votes from UAW).

All EV stocks are getting beat up right now, so it isn’t just Tesla. Lucid, Rivian, and Nio charts look identical to Tesla
But those other EV companies do not have identical growth or profits per car. Some of them even have monies lost per car, i know, i know shocking... So the market reaction is purely rational as a means for large players to buy in at a lower entry point, prior to many upcoming product(s), pivot shift to software as a FSD service (who was that pesky OEM talking to tesla?), lithium mining (like software companies margins), and the cybertruck aka US auto market segment with the highest profit margin.

Often Company Cars are status, hence many trim levels, models as a manager is expected to have a different car. Most sensible Company Cars might be Model Y Long Ranges (maximising employee availability, billable hours), getting a Model Y Performance/paint/wheels are the only upgrades and arguably a Long Range is a better car for the manager.

So, Tesla may offer higher trims - but how far are S & X from this limit now?

Unfortunately out of range... I don´t think they´ll want to add a rear wheel drive config,
that would undermine the position of S/X as there premium lineup and increase production
complexity - they already stopped the right hand drive, and here it would be only for one
country.

Screenshot 2023-11-09 at 19.14.42.png

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
Yes, but still not enough on the short term to absorb the cell supply, with the 4680s V2 they can make Model Ys that are identical to the 2170 version

If we assume half of Texas 250k/year becomes 4680, that would still only need 10.25 GWh/year of 4680 production, that combined with Cybertruck would only absorb a bit more than one line worth of supply, when they have 4 and 4 more coming soon

For Model Y to use that production of the 4680 version would need to increase three fold to 375k/year, which not gonna happen in 12 months

I'm sure Tesla has a plan and contingency plans and then contingency plans on those also, but I'm really curious where they will put those many cells on the short term, storing for long term for future use doesn't work, since it takes a lot of space, needs to be on a climate controlled environment and so on

Semi is far from absorbing that many cells, since Nevada expansion is pretty slow or not even started, the $25k model would need even higher production volumes since the battery pack will be considerably smaller than a LR Model Y, Model S Plaid+ would barely make a dent in cell usage

Grid storage would work, but would need another Lathrop or two pretty soon for that and LFP from CATL is a better fit

Interesting. IIRC last time we discussed supply of 4680s they still limited CT and Semi, now we don´t seem to have enough production including Texas Y to absorb them all 🤔.. What did I miss in the meantime? Did we do the math wrong back then or did they suddenly progress that quickly?

I'm not sure how reliable, but I've watched a few episodes and seems to be ok. I'd welcome more informed USA contributors. In previous episodes they've said how even Toyota and Honda are struggling and building up stock even though supplies have been tight. This episode concentrates on "Ram, Dodge, Jeep & Chrysler Can't Sell ANYTHING | Big TROUBLE". I'm only part way through. talks about buyers of these specific brands generally having lower credit scores, paying high interest, brands gone up market, leaving their old customers behind and dealers having too many cars, wrong trims/models/prices, too much floorplan interest. Calls from dealers for incentives from brands.

The big change has been in the last 45-50 days, with demand for new cars slowing and the dealers struggle with high interest costs from large inventories of higher priced trims and models (manufacturers switched to these). They've previously mentioned the USA new car market turning "on a dime".

Optimum stock level stated as 60-75 days, many brands well above - but change has been recent. Shows how low Tesla "inventory" is, especially as something like half the cars are in transit (perhaps more).

There have been some used car dealers in the UK that have given up recently (anecdotes, youtube vids from secondhand dealers). One youtube video said it had started by Tesla lowering new car costs which had hit used Teslas, other EVs and premium car values. Rock bottom car prices have risen however (sub £3-5000). This last point suggest to me that money is tight in the UK, cars bought as necessities.

Edit: some brands/models above 200 days inventories and days of supply went UP during a 7 week strike!

Last edited:
Looks like a whole lot of upside for Tesla to me. Not sure I'd want to hold the bag when these funds rotate away from META.

Congrats on your 10,000th post! Haven´t seen you for a while, good to have you back!

EDIT: Did you make 101 posts in the meantime 🤔 ? Otherwise, congrats on your 10,100th ;)!

Last edited:
Update. Almost took delivery on 11/7, but the hood was warped, leaving a bit of a bump at the front seal with the bumper. Plus some bubbles in the paint near the headlight. Would have been in the shop for 2 to 5 weeks. The bump in the hood worried me as to being bad at higher speeds on the highway. There is another vehicle in transit. So hopefully next week. Crossing my fingers on the next one not having issues. Other than that, the rest of the car was fine.
Gotta wonder if it was damaged at the factory or via shipping and those were the discrete signs.

Reactions: tmoz
Mod: it's a funny thing, there was already a big thread about unions, so I moved 36 recent posts into it. As of now, no more unions in this thread.
Edit: two more in the time it took to to write this 3-line post. No more please. --ggr