Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Unionization

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it possible Tesla will pull out of Sweden and let a Swedish company that has union contract to buy Tesla cars from other countries to resell?
If you mean as an authorized dealership, no. They will never do that.

But I imagine, if the union makes it painful enough, it is possible that Tesla could pull out of Sweden and stop selling/servicing vehicles there.

But I imagine, if the union makes it painful enough, it is possible that Tesla could pull out of Sweden and stop selling/servicing vehicles there.
Seems more likely that Tesla will just have to vertically integrate their entire Swedish business with electricians, cleaners, transport from ferries etc.

If Elon does a Swexit... I wonder if Tesla will come back to Sweden once Giga Berlin becomes a unionized plant?... Or will he exit Germany as well?

Spare parts and components for Tesla's workshops could be stopped as the Swedish Union of Service and Communications Employees (Seko) now announces sympathy actions in the strike against Tesla.

The executive committee of the Seko trade union announces sympathy actions in the conflict with TM Sweden, Tesla's subsidiary in Sweden.

"The struggle of IF Metall is also our struggle. By refusing to adhere to the rules of the game here in Sweden, Tesla tries to gain competitive advantages by giving workers lower wages and conditions than they would have had with a collective agreement. That is obviously completely unacceptable. The battle that IF Metall is now waging is important for the entire Swedish collective bargaining model," says Seko's union president, Gabriella Lavecchia, in a press release.

Seko's sympathy actions mean a blockade against distribution, delivery, and pickup of shipments, letters, packages, and pallets carried out by Postnord and Citymail to all Tesla's workplaces in Sweden.

This could mean that, for example, spare parts and components for the workshops will not be delivered.

Seko's blockade will take effect on November 20th if TM Sweden does not sign a collective agreement. Previously, the Swedish Transport Workers' Union and the Dockworkers' Union, among others, have announced a blockade against the import of Tesla cars into Swedish ports. The Property Maintenance Workers' Union has also announced a blockade against the cleaning of Tesla's premises, and the Electricians against the repair of the company's charging pillars. The conflict began on October 27th when IF Metall initiated a strike at all of Tesla's car workshops and service centers in Sweden.

Reactions: SwedishAdvocate
...] I imagine, if the union makes it painful enough, it is possible that Tesla could pull out of Sweden and stop selling/servicing vehicles there.

There's a really great counter argument to this in the thread about this IF Metall vs. Tesla conflict on the Swedish forum (Tesla Club Sweden). And unless I've missed it, this counterargument hasn't appeared on this forum yet...

If Elon/Tesla exits Sweden, then what is going to happen to Tesla car sales in the other European countries?...

If Elon/Tesla leaves Sweden then what country will be next? Germany?... France?...

Who's going to want a buy a Tesla in Germany if Tesla is willing to leave Germany over unionization? If Tesla leaves Germany, then the values of customers Tesla cars will completely collapse...

Transport: Tesla tries to bypass the blockade in the ports​

Published today at 06:48
  • The Transport union claims that the electric car manufacturer Tesla is trying to circumvent the blockade in the ports. An example is that around 150 Tesla cars were transported on a regular ferry, according to the union.
  • "It's clear that we're seeing what's happening and whether it can be blocked," says union chairman Tommy Wreeth.
  • Tesla declined to comment.

My guess this is what is driving the stock lower not the HSBC rating.

It's about time, tbh. TSLA is in the S&P 500, Elon Musk's CEO compensation plan is complete, Tesla's sustainability mission is copy and pasting factories and vehicles, and everything after that probably needs to be slowed down or regulated even from what Elon is saying.

To have Elon regulate himself and call that out through his words and actions is pretty remarkable of a human and, especially CEO, trait. If Tesla does get unionized now (compared to when it was practically a startup 3x over until reaching the S&P 500), I think it's going to do a lot more good than bad now compared to before.

P.S. I expect many downvotes for this post, but this my honest-to-goodness reaction.

It's about time, tbh. TSLA is in the S&P 500, Elon Musk's CEO compensation plan is complete, Tesla's sustainability mission is copy and pasting factories and vehicles, and everything after that probably needs to be slowed down or regulated even from what Elon is saying.

To have Elon regulate himself and call that out through his words and actions is pretty remarkable of a human and, especially CEO, trait. If Tesla does get unionized now (compared to when it was practically a startup 3x over until reaching the S&P 500), I think it's going to do a lot more good than bad now compared to before.

P.S. I expect many downvotes for this post, but this my honest-to-goodness reaction.

Have you ever worked in a union shop? I doubt most Tesla workers would want to give up the freedom of mobility they now enjoy inside the plant, let alone the stock benefits.

Have you ever worked in a union shop? I doubt most Tesla workers would want to give up the freedom and mobility they now enjoy inside the plant, let alone the stock benefits.

I'm sure Tesla will come up with an agreement that's way better than any other one an organization has given a union previously.

Namely - one that's pro-employee mobility.

To add as a question: while a union no doubt harms a 30-50x return, does it harm a 3-5x return over 10 years (edit: maybe with dividends)?

Have you ever worked in a union shop? I doubt most Tesla workers would want to give up the freedom of mobility they now enjoy inside the plant, let alone the stock benefits.

I was going to make the same point.

Having worked in an automotive union shop the main challenge is not the wages or benefits. In my experience, they slow progress down and drive costs higher in ways other than wages.

Well that didn't take long. I guess my Tesla friends working in Austin should be expecting an unexpected bump in pay. And yes, they do talk about pay.

I was going to make the same point.

Having worked in an automotive union shop the main challenge is not the wages or benefits. In my experience, they slow progress down and drive costs higher in ways other than wages.

If Tesla, especially with all the software its about to build out for its moat of hardware products, can potentially reach 30-40% margins like any standard software tech company...as a full-stack company, that's insane.

I think Tesla will try to keep margins at 20-30% and increase costs towards labor.

I'll add one more point:

Unions help with:
- working conditions based on US history (that's usually been safety, but it could it be applied in other places?)
- increases in pay for workers
- better benefits for workers

...they, also, have follow-on benefits for sustainability. What's more important to the success of Tesla's sustainability mission at this point? It'd be having the backing of the laborforce too to buy more cars. I have no doubt that unionizing Tesla, abstractly, will improve demand in an abstract sense. Think of how many people in the UAW would move towards EVs if Tesla were unionized!

I'll add one more point:

Unions help with:
- working conditions based on US history (that's usually been safety, but it could it be applied in other places?)
- increases in pay for workers
- better benefits for workers

What substantiated negative instances of compensation, benefits, or working conditions at Tesla that need rectification can you point to?

...they, also, have follow-on benefits for sustainability. What's more important to the success of Tesla's sustainability mission at this point? It'd be having the backing of the laborforce too to buy more cars. I have no doubt that unionizing Tesla, abstractly, will improve demand in an abstract sense. Think of how many people in the UAW would move towards EVs if Tesla were unionized!

That feels akin to giving in to extortion...

What substantiated negative instances of compensation, benefits, or working conditions at Tesla that need rectification can you point to?

I understand where you're coming from, though that leaves me to ponder:

why does unionization need to be rooted from negative circumstances? Why isn't it allowed to be a value add?

That feels akin to giving in to extortion...

how?