Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nah, I suspect Tesla will be more than happy for most of the opposition to go bankrupt. Remember, if GM for example survives, so does the UAW. Destroying the UAW, and the associated communist/mafia manifesto, does a lot more for the mission than keeping GM alive.
Frankly, that view runs counter to the Tesla mission. Having major industrial companies fail benefits nobody. Without question many of them are proving not very competent in transition to BEV. Arguing for annihilating competitors and even eliminating labor unions, is likely to produce vast unintended consequences.

Tesla most definitely will not favor chaos.

Frankly, that view runs counter to the Tesla mission. Having major industrial companies fail benefits nobody. Without question many of them are proving not very competent in transition to BEV. Arguing for annihilating competitors and even eliminating labor unions, is likely to produce vast unintended consequences.

Tesla most definitely will not favor chaos.
It kind of already is chaos. And Elon did say at one time Tesla would kill those who didn’t follow, though that was a number of years ago now.

To a dealer, outside financing (like from a credit union) is cash.
Usually not correct. First, many US Credit Unions have financing agreements with dealers giving (Finance and Insurance) F&I compensation to dealers for originations, most often connected to Credit Union member promotions. Second, Titling includes lien filing. That said, there are exceptions to every rule.

Since F&I income in the US is traditionally the majority of dealer new vehicle profits, cash sales are NOT favored by dealers. The only exceptions to that are typically expensive and/or very high demand models for which gross sale margins are very high and cash buyers more prevalent.

This is yet another reason why the Tesla business model is strongly consumer beneficial.

Last edited:
Buckle up folks. Turbulence incoming.

I'd rather not, honestly. It will be in the news tomorrow.

Just a heads up. A few people might do some sleuthing and prepare themselves. The rest probably won't care anyhow.

Nope. Just a friendly advisory. Have a lovely night. :)
I am not going to give you the benefit of the doubt. There is no doubt. I am giving you solely the benefit of my beneficence - One Time Only.
The posts above do not belong in this thread or this forum. If you or anyone else ever attempts to pull something like that again, it will effect either a very long vacation, or worse.

I am not going to give you the benefit of the doubt. There is no doubt. I am giving you solely the benefit of my beneficence - One Time Only.
The posts above do not belong in this thread or this forum. If you or anyone else ever attempts to pull something like that again, it will effect either a very long vacation, or worse.
Just to be clear- I don't think the unfortunate comment on social media last night will have much of any impact on the stock price in the near term. I probably should have expressed that. Have a lovely day!

It kind of already is chaos. And Elon did say at one time Tesla would kill those who didn’t follow, though that was a number of years ago now.

I'd have to take any sentiment of "Tesla would kill the competition" to be more about the expected outcome for any automaker not getting onboard with the transition, rather than any intent on Tesla's part to make it happen as part of a plan.

Mostly because Tesla has offered to share intellectual property with anyone who will reciprocate.

The mission would benefit if any legacy OEM who chose to march to the beat of a different drummer in order to remain relevant were to simply do so.

Granted, those which remain in denial of the clear and obvious future will find themselves unable to maintain solvency in an electron-centric world. It might feel chaotic to them when this happens, but recognizing this is based in straight-forward logic.

Usually not correct. First, many US Credit Unions have financing agreements with dealers giving (Finance and Insurance) F&I compensation to dealers for originations, most often connected to Credit Union member promotions. Second, Titling includes lien filing. That said, there are exceptions to every rule.

Since F&I income in the US is traditionally the majority of dealer new vehicle profits, cash sales are NOT favored by dealers. The only exceptions to that are typically expensive and/or very high demand models for which gross sale margins are very high and cash buyers more prevalent.

This is yet another reason why the Tesla business model is strongly consumer beneficial.
I have just posted a new thread for

US Vehicle loans and Leases
that has an Experian report on the subject from 2022. I have now access to much of the previously unsharable data thanks to my firm's Statista license permissions.

Last edited:
On another note, this article brings to light the other side of life we on TMC often grapple with. How, despite Tesla's success so far, it is most likely that the majority of people know very little about the company or the products beyond the easily dismissed chatter one might catch a snippet of here and there through the media and social interaction.

What this means to me is that there is still a vast untapped customer base who haven't taken it all in, yet.

I know this will set off alarm bells for the "Tesla has to educate and advertise" crowd and hope to temper such enthusiasm with the fact that Tesla has lots of room to grow production before it will be necessary to do any of that.

Last edited:
I'd have to take any sentiment of "Tesla would kill the competition" to be more about the expected outcome for any automaker not getting onboard with the transition, rather than any intent on Tesla's part to make it happen as part of a plan.

Mostly because Tesla has offered to share intellectual property with anyone who will reciprocate.

The mission would benefit if any legacy OEM who chose to march to the beat of a different drummer in order to remain relevant were to simply do so.

Granted, those which remain in denial of the clear and obvious future will find themselves unable to maintain solvency in an electron-centric world. It might feel chaotic to them when this happens, but recognizing this is based in straight-forward logic.
No, Elon meant his comment. Again, it was quite a while ago and arguably he was a bit angry at the time and now that I wrack my brain I don’t think he used the word kill. I believe the comment was more; if they don’t copy/follow us, we’ll make them or they’ll die (as in be put out of business).

I believe he’d rather kumbaya the whole thing - that’s the most logical, reasonable, first principles way - but it would be a mistake for ‘others’ to think he doesn’t have a mean enough streak in him to purposely squash them.

No, Elon meant his comment. Again, it was quite a while ago and arguably he was a bit angry at the time and now that I wrack my brain I don’t think he used the word kill. I believe the comment was more; if they don’t copy/follow us, we’ll make them or they’ll die (as in be put out of business).

I believe he’d rather kumbaya the whole thing - that’s the most logical, reasonable, first principles way - but it would be a mistake for ‘others’ to think he doesn’t have a mean enough streak in him to purposely squash them.

I agree, he will have little mercy to spare when dealing with anyone trying to bully him onto a path he wouldn't choose for his companies.

Though, what you describe as a "mean streak" seems to me more like a well calculated defensive acumen based more in mission achievement than it is in emotion. More a weapon of last resort than any tendency toward a streak of behavior.

Last edited:

Non-Elon non-quote: We'll help them if we can (and they let us), but we're not going to set ourselves on fire to keep them warm

Rumor Volvo/Polestar (owned by Geely) is halting EV production:
Reminder, Polestar is out of Sweden where the strikes are happening on the ports (and more below). Connection? Sour grapes?

When Volvo is put to rest, perhaps Sweden will allow some Tesla's in the front door again. 🤷‍♂️ For now, they're trying everything they can - but who will clean the bathrooms, and will they still put air in a Tesla tires? Tesla consumers in Sweden must be fed up with this nonsense by now.

I don't think he would have said he didn't want to give it all away and then immediately give it all away. This would mean there are two other demos the public is not aware of.

I also think it is unlikely that there will only be one demo that consists of a video showing gunshots. I'm sure they want to show off the Cybertruck's capabilities more than that.

One demo should be towing a Raptor engine. Unless they have the Plaid Cybertruck with Raptor mounted on back ready to go.

I'm hoping one or more of the legacy players are scaling back now only because they know what they can do with existing resources would be a waste of time and money to pursue further, and, they are (hopefully) negotiating with Tesla to come up with some viable offerings under their own brand for the future.

Licensing Tesla manufacturing prowess into their assembly lines, as well as their drive train and software products into the vehicles would likely be the fastest and most cost-effective way for legacy OEMs to bring a truly compelling EV to market. If they can get the UAW employees to stay out of the way of the robots.

Looking forward to seeing the "Tesla Inside" stickers on these vehicles someday.
I don't make too many predictions because I don't like looking foolish down the road predicting the future is hard but a bit before Ron's comments I predicted that we will see a major OEM "give up" on EVs and turn to Tesla in a major way sometime in the next 2 years.

OT OT OT
Starship launch 8am EST (UTC GMT -5?)
TOMORROW!!!
OT - Weather looks sunny and winds OK. It's so tempting... I looked at flights to Brownsville yesterday, not cheap and the Airstream camp was booked, I'd imagine tours are too. It's an 18 hr drive for me - if only we had FSD Level 5.

OT - Weather looks sunny and winds OK. It's so tempting... I looked at flights to Brownsville yesterday, not cheap and the Airstream camp was booked, I'd imagine tours are too. It's an 18 hr drive for me - if only we had FSD Level 5.
Sorry OT.

My son and I went for the first test flight. It was an amazing experience for both of us. We’re gonna go again, once they really get this thing working. Next time I’ll book a room at the Margaritaville resort.

The @nasaspaceflight folks had rooftop cameras set up there; and the beach ifo the resort is an excellent viewing spot.

Looks like room prices are quite reasonable.

Attachments

• IMG_8277.jpeg
    IMG_8277.jpeg
    501.6 KB · Views: 25