Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are three superchargers between Phoenix and Flagstaff, shouldn't be much of a problem!
Ran it through ABRP (used the AWD CT as reference). Looks like you'd make it with 14% left if you start at 90%. You can charge when you get there.
1701447853772.png

Ran it through ABRP (used the AWD CT as reference). Looks like you'd make it with 14% left if you start at 90%. You can charge when you get there. View attachment 995473
Now add towing. That was a point that so many people seem to have missed.

Drive that route and see how many trucks with trailers and RVs you pass. It's far from rare.

The argument that more range is not needed because superchargers isn't as effective to people that desire a truck for towing.

No more Tesla at rental company Sixt. Apparently too low demand and too high repair costs. Sixt schmeißt Tesla-Modelle raus - das sind die Gründe
I spent a month in a Sixt Tesla just this Sep-Oct. All worked flawless, integration with Tesla superchargers was seamless.
Drove Germany-France-Italy-France-Germany, about 5000 kilometers.
It was a great experience in a Tesla, we were in some quite remote towns in the south of France, and I drove all over the East and West Dolomites. Charging was never an issue, 4 adults and copious luggage were amply accommodated.
Point here, it was a great experience even if quite expensive over an ICE. Sorry to hear it won't be an option in the future.
Maybe Tesla will consider Fleet sales and support at a reduced rate for rental agencies, it could move a lot of vehicles and should lead to future sales after the rental experience.

Looks like MKBHD (Marques Brownlee) isn't going to give a glowing review.

aslo note the 3.5M views in just a few hours.

View attachment 995324
Someone posted this graphic from MKBHD review. Interesting MKBHD says that Road noise is higher than other Teslas, whereas Musk said it will be most quietest Tesla due to the armored glass. I trust MKBHD.

1701447881238.png

Cybertrucks higher price and margins are going to pay for the development of all the systems and 48V architecture of the high volume model. Drive by wire, break by wire, all ethernet coms, high density cell, and larger castings. They get to refine all of it for the most cost effective vehicle ever.

Tesla executes better on the hardest problems of any large manufacturer. It took 70 years and a singular company to force 48v. This will pay dividends for every other automaker. Drive by wire will save lives and cost over the long run. It may take them longer than anyone wants but at its core Tesla is forcing everyone else into the 21st century by force.

I am likely not going to purchase the CT even though I have a very early reservation, but as a shareholder and fan of TSLA, this is a monumental product that is divisive and also important historically.

It's odd to hear people complain about pricing differences versus the unveiling. Pricing is a creature of supply and demand. If you set prices and then get the most pre-orders of any product ever (let's say 2 million), you are compelled to reset prices higher before delivery. The only surprise to me is that the price was reset so low. Maybe another reset higher will happen after Tesla evaluates their order book and resale market.

Last edited:
The more I digest what the Cybertruck is, the more excited I become about it as a long term investor. One of the top reasons I invest so much of my money in Tesla is it has most of the best minds and hardest working people in it. What the CT is is a relatively low production test bed for a bunch of amazing new and better technologies from materials, design, and manufacturing to batteries, wiring and steering. The CT is a tour de force of engineering the likes of which we are likely to see in their future vehicles. As an investor what I see when I look at the CT is proof in the puding that Tesla has the best engineers and balls to match it!

On CT repair cost being lower, I can totally see that. The images from the factory show very simple panels, 1-2 bends, and holes for mounting. I would not be surprised if a quarter panel took ~2 hrs to replace, no prepping or paint, and the materials maybe $500. In fact, I bet it's ripe for the DIY crowd, extreme case only $100 for some local sheet metal, lol.

Our Model Y rear hatch replace and paint was $10K+. The hatch was $2K. It was the prep and paint that made up most of the cost. So if body repairs don't at least half with CT, or more, I'll be surprised.

Then Marques conflates mid-spec range (340 miles) with the highest price version ($100K). That's just misleading and dishonest. The 340 mile range CT costs just $72,500 after the IRA credit, and costs even less in States with addtional incentives.
Agreed. That caught my attention immediately. 340 miles range is not $100K

It's odd to hear people complain about pricing differences versus the unveiling. Pricing is a creature of supply and demand. If you set prices and then get the most pre-orders of any product ever (let's say 2 million), you are compelled to reset prices higher before delivery. The only surprise to me is that the price was reset so low. Maybe another reset higher will happen after Tesla evaluates their order book and resale market.
I agree and will add the relatively tame presentation and high prices of the CT make business sense from the perspective of a company which is going to make more Model Ys and and Model 3s in a couple weeks than they will make CTs in years. The price and presentation help direct consumers attention toward what Tesla can actually sell in volume. As consumers we might not be happy about this, but as investors we should.

Someone posted this graphic from MKBHD review. Interesting MKBHD says that Road noise is higher than other Teslas, whereas Musk said it will be most quietest Tesla due to the armored glass. I trust MKBHD.

View attachment 995472
The can't see out the back is just silly. You can't see out the back of an X (at least the ones 2020+) as the factory tinting is too dark. I haven't used the rear view mirror since the 2013 S because the rear camera is so much better and has a much wider view than the silly mirror.

The can't see out the back is just silly. You can't see out the back of an X (at least the ones 2020+) as the factory tinting is too dark. I haven't used the rear view mirror since the 2013 S because the rear camera is so much better and has a much wider view than the silly mirror.
Most use their rear view mirror when driving. I do and have in all of my Teslas. It's going to be a learning curve for most is what he said.

So, you think they disable all of the 120/240v outlets in the truck while it is being charged on AC? (Including the ones in the cab.) Yeah, I don't think so.
Other way around. When it is outputting AC from the NACS port, it would disable AC output from the internal plugs. I think the Powershare Mobile Connector has an inverter or needs an extra internal module as Mongo surmises. Would be nice to know one way or another.

Now add towing. That was a point that so many people seem to have missed.

Drive that route and see how many trucks with trailers and RVs you pass. It's far from rare.

The argument that more range is not needed because superchargers isn't as effective to people that desire a truck for towing.
Sorry...I didn't see towing on your initial comment. Not sure how to add towing in that planning tool, but like was stated already. If towing, there are multiple superchargers to get you there. I'm not saying that would always be the case in the southwest (southeast New Mexico, I'm looking at you) but for that particular route, I'd say it's one of the more well covered routes.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Let's talk PowerWalls.

Do people realize the CT is like having a bunch of PowerWalls? It has more than 2 (Correction 1 PW3 or 2 PW2's) PW in terms of Power Delivery, and about 10 PWs in terms of Storage Capacity. The thing will run my entire home (I have 2 existing Powerwalls so the integration requires no additional hardware). My existing PWs cost an arm and a leg with the only advantage that they are available even when the vehicles are off-site.

But there has to be some serious CT value add for folks wanting to add more solar and PWs. And then to think that Tesla would honor the 150K mi battery warranty is insanely valuable. That's better than our existing PWs!

And what if I can charge from the grid at night on Off-peak? I can't do this with our existing PWs which can only be charged via Solar. This is likely a constraint placed by our Utility Co, but I'm not sure they could prevent us from loading up at night in CT. This will be a nice offset power machine on Wheels. So now I'm questioning if Solar is even needed in order to do pure offset use and cut DAILY power expenses. Oooo utilities gonna hate this, right?

Last edited:
Sorry...I didn't see towing on your initial comment. Not sure how to add towing in that planning tool, but like was stated already. If towing, there are multiple superchargers to get you there. I'm not saying that would always be the case in the southwest (southeast New Mexico, I'm looking at you) but for that particular route, I'd say it's one of the more well covered routes.
Part of the issue here is just the truck buyer mindset needs to change. The days of having a truck that can basically haul your entire life wherever you want to go with zero impact on the environment need to be over. It's a mindset that was cast with plentiful, guilt free (at the time) oil burning. We cannot afford that mindset for much longer as a planet.

Get the tent attachment and leave the rest of your life at home when going on a road trip.