Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ganesh always struck me as waaay too laid back for Tesla. And Dojo really hasn't been implemented at Tesla speed.
Generally it takes 5 years to fully design and release a chip, and then at least a year to put it in racks and make them work as intended. This is with tried and true architecture. Tesla however went bonkers with their first attempt and added complexity with all the interconnects, chip on wafer design, new cooling/power draw architecture, plus an entire software compiler to run the thing. I honestly think DOJO is perhaps the fastest developed project the world of semi has ever seen given the complexity.

High chance Ganesh is going back to AMD as things are kind of exploding over there.

Haven't kept up with Nevada enough to know if ground has broken on that expansion
The drone pilot has run into issues with security, we will not have Nevada flyovers unless Elon or someone else from Tesla management specifically allows it.

However, what is apparently happening was a "warehouse-on-wheels" was being relocated elsewhere and a new standalone building will be built for a production line. That might not be high volume, just higher volume.

4680 production is being increased at Austin, it is delayed at Nevada, Mexico and perhaps Berlin.

My guess is 4680 production at Austin will eventually free up some 2170s to allow more Semis to be built.

If 4680 production at Austin ramps smoothly, everything will quickly fall into place, and that might be the trigger to accelerate further expansions elsewhere.

Reporter reports: "When I first started driving 6 decades ago, I definitely remember that my car cost $1300 and I could drive it FOREVER without filling up, so at least 500 miles, and I never spent more than $3 on gas. And gas was only 30 cents a gallon! If Tesla can't match that price or range or cost-per-mile 60 YEARS LATER, how will they ever catch up to modern gas cars? EV's are a dead end!"

So I've got a Tesla Auto News update for you:
  • I bought TSLA stock in 2018; my Tesla car cost $5,075 USD in today's prices
  • I have NEVER filled up my Tesla (I go to windshield washer stations)
  • My Tesla has 500 kilometers range (but my bladder doesn't)
  • I never spend any money on gas; but I do get 132 MPGe
  • Electricity is the only form of energy that is free, or getting cheaper
Since a 1963 VW Beetle cost $1,700 new (60 yrs ago), I assume you weren't getting that stellar 27 mpg with your $1,300 car. More likely 15 mpg with a used American car if you maintained it, and drove carefully. At $0.30/gal, that's 2 cents per mile.

Good news for you? My Tesla costs less than a penny per mile, if I charge at home. But I mostly charge at public L2 charging stations (which aren't 'free', but are included with my 'taxes'). So let's just say, 'no addtional cost'. Indeed, my car lifetime charging expense is below $100 USD which is about half a penny per mile (U.S.)

And my Tesla drives itself (while I supervise), brakes for idiots, heats'n'cools me, entertains me, and is least likely to get into an accident which I would then be most likely to survive.

But I do want a 1963 Beetle: Just so I can say PUNCH BUGGY! and MEAN IT!

Tesla: "the car for modern times".

Cheers to real-world progress!

Last edited:
They sure look cute. But I'm sure that the Gen3 will be faster than a Beetle and have more utility than a 2CV

So, we should call Gen 3 "the Beatle" since it beats everything else? ;)

P.S. Gen3 called the 'belly-button' in Mexico since everyone will have one...
P.P.S. when TSLA stock hits $740 then my Model Y AWD/FSD will have cost me the same as 1963 Beetle.

Of the 52 states, only 16 don't have reservations .(per google search ) .. 69% have reservations ....
IIRC New Mexico has similar set up, wonder how many more are coming ...
There is one coming to upstate New York soon. Tesla is currently allowed only 5 sales locations in NYS, and they are all in the NYC area.

"Oneida Indian Nation to Partner with Tesla to Develop the First Tesla Electric Vehicle Showroom in Upstate New York"

Attachments

• 1000005812.jpg
    1000005812.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 22
I have seen one comment elsewhere to the downside: it is alleged that thinner wire will rust and therefore fail faster

Yeah, you've been pranked: (haha, by the '12v' Mafia?)

"Copper will never rust for the same reason as bronze — it contains too little iron. Though it will not rust, copper can form a green film, or patina, on its surface over time. However, this patina will not flake the way rust does. Instead, it creates an even, thick coating on top of the copper itself."​

BTW, same chemistry applies to aluminum oxidation: doesn't rust; builds passivation layer. The Aviation industry has used 24v systems for many years, and for many of the same advantages that Tesla is switching to 48v.

I am guilty of not following Tesla Energy closely enough. This is pretty incredible news for the co.
I think a lot of us take Tesla Energy for granted. Slowly but surely, one day, it is gonna generate more revenue than auto division and the WS Muppets will be shocked and scrambling to 'not' call Tesla an automotive company anymore.

That should settle this 'argument'

No argument is every 'settled' on TMC until the OP gets indignant, blames the mods, quits, comes back, insists that their OT MUST be in main because 'special', blames Elon, goes full 'Greg Wester'.

Then the argument continues on the blue side... :p

TL;dr no arguement is ever over while clients still are still paying lawyers and PR departments

Massive copper savings industry-wide. Massive. 75% reduction in wiring for internal power buses.

I have seen one comment elsewhere to the downside: it is alleged that thinner wire will rust and therefore fail faster (I suppose oxidation happens even within insulators... curious what others predict on that front).
Speaking as a general, "the buck stops here" field failure EE person, I wouldn't worry about copper corrosion. Over the decades, I've worked on tons of equipment using, worst case, 30 Ga interconnect wire that goes into the field, gets exposed to noxious gases, and, generally, doesn't corrode and die.

Things that would prevent Death Of Wire:
  • When stuff is insulated, the insulation tends to Keep Out Junk That Would Corrode metal.
  • Connectors in cars tend to be of the sealed variety, with gaskets, which keeps water and noxious NOx and SOx's out of both wires and connectors.
Now, I have seen whole circuit boards and wires get dunked and electrically run due to stuff like water condensate when there's no drain holes and, yeah, one can corrode the heck out of components that way. And this is one of those reasons why flooding a car in fresh (!) or salt (!!!) water results in an inoperable car and salvage titles, but we're not talking about that.

Last edited:
New CFO keeps selling stock. So odd.

SEC FORM 4
It's not odd, it's taxes.
FTF:
PURSUANT TO THE ISSUER'S EQUITY PLAN AND POLICIES, THESE SHARES OF COMMON STOCK WERE AUTOMATICALLY WITHHELD AND SOLD BY THE ISSUER TO SATISFY THE REPORTING PERSON'S TAX WITHHOLDING OBLIGATIONS RELATED TO THE VESTING OF RESTRICTED STOCK UNITS REPORTED HEREIN.