Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what is it? JPow cutting U.S. a break?

View attachment 999059

EDIT: h/t @kengchang from Lower-BB to Mid-BB in a hr :p

Brendan Pedersen on X: "The Federal Reserve will hold rates at current level, keeping the federal funds rate at 5.25% and 5.5%. FOMC projections expect 75 basis points worth of cuts next year. Follow along for Chair Jay Powell's press conference at 230 ET."

JUST IN: FED Chair Jerome Powell says "we are pleased with the progress on inflation." Twitter • 16 seconds ago

Cheers to the Longs!

So, does this mean that J-POW has lit the candle(stick)? 🚀

Actually they are:
I am very impressed with the hands on the new optimus, and the rapid progress, and I trust Tesla to be the ONLY company that plans mass-manufactured robots at serious (tens or hundreds of thousands scale).
But I think that manufacturing bias is their USP. Its not like there is no competition, there definitely is, and it will also ramp. Does anybody really think that nvidia, apple, meta, microsoft, google, will just sit and watch Tesla dominate robotics? They will be late, and slower, but they will definitely compete.
Nice. Thanks for pointing that out. It doesn't walk as well as Optimus Gen 2, but the video I saw on their web site could be old. It walks about as well as Optimus Gen 1.

I also found it interesting that they expect to go to market in less than 2 years.

Yeah, figure.ai looks like a takeover target for sure.

From their master plan:
Our company journey will take decades — and require a championship team dedicated to the mission, billions of dollars invested, and engineering innovation in order to achieve a mass-market impact. We face high risk and extremely low chances of success. However, if we are successful, we have the potential to positively impact humanity and to build the largest company on the planet.

I agree that they will need the backing of someone like nvidia, apple, or google if they want to convert that "extremely low chance of success" into just a "very low chance of success".

Reactions: Baumisch
I do not see anything about road type lockout. Rather, it explicitly calls out "using the feature outside controlled access highways"
Agree this can continue in the other thread, but important clarification for any who read your post.
So does this mean that lane centering and adaptive cruise will only work on "controlled access highways"? That would be a serious step backwards from a safety standpoint.

Who doesn't like Texas Institutute of Technology and Science? (T.I.T.S.)

Elon Musk on Twitter: "Massachusetts has MIT California has CIT Texas has TITS" / Twitter (Oct 29, 2021)
I'd like to see a cooperative-education program (alternating between school and work sessions at Tesla/SpaxeX/"Musk Inc") units. GM had something similar with General Motors Institute since the 1920s to the mid 1980s (the school still exists as Kettering University, but is not affiliated with GM in any way). That way Musk could tailor education programs to the needs of his companies and perhaps put a greater emphasis on STEM classes, rather than the humanities so many other universities mandate even for STEM programs.

Really? Can't use robots if the environment is not stable enough for humanity to live...but whatevs...
That's true. But manufacturing EVs and Megapacks should have been a no-brainer. (Yes, even so, it needed Elon to make it happen.)

Actually deciding to spend billions on mass-producing a practical humanoid robot took a lot more faith and creativity. As a technological achievement, I think Optimus will be his greatest yet.

Ditto... to the extent that if they use that reporter to write something about Tesla, it is almost certainly a hit piece and/or devoid of accurate information.

To be more believable they need to use someone else!
He has out Lora'd, Kolodny in that article.

Usually the race for the most biased dishonest take on Tesla is between Lying Linette, Fraudolny and Siddque. This week Siddque wins hands down. Last week it was Linette with one of her most abominable hit pieces. Next week it will be Lora.

The system monitoring of each human mediated fastening for quality is awesome. Wireless integration of the torque wrenches into the central computer. Would this be seen elsewhere ?
Yes. Electronic torque wrenches with WiFi connectivity are available off-the-shelf these days, though they're expensive compared to basic torque wrenches, so it doesn't make sense for every company in every production situation.

For example: RGED

I seem to remember Jeff was butt hurt enough about Blue Origin losing a bid to SpaceX that he tried to sue. Now they are turning to SpaceX to launch their own satellite? Can someone help me wrap my mind around that?

Amazon is buying launches from SpaceX not Blue. Amazon is a public company. It has to act in the best interest of shareholders though one could argue canceling Kuiper altogether serves Amazon shareholders best. Instead they “ll go ahead, lose billions then cancel

What are you missing? You are missing a brain.

Oh, I didn't mean you. Sorry how that sounded, bro. :p

I just meant Optimus has a better brain. And better hands. And it has a more human form making it capable of more tasks in a human world.
Optimus is like the Borg, minus the biological stuff...

So does this mean that lane centering and adaptive cruise will only work on "controlled access highways"? That would be a serious step backwards from a safety standpoint.
As I read it, they are adding warnings and monitoring to activate and keep it active, but not making major changes to where it can be activated.
The remedy will incorporate additional controls and alerts to those already existing on affected vehicles to further encourage the driver to adhere to their continuous driving responsibility whenever Autosteer is engaged, which includes keeping their hands on the steering wheel and paying attention to the roadway. Depending on vehicle hardware, the additional controls will include, among others, increasing the prominence of visual alerts on the user interface, simplifying engagement and disengagement of Autosteer, additional checks upon engaging Autosteer and while using the feature outside controlled access highways and when approaching traffic controls, and eventual suspension from Autosteer use if the driver repeatedly fails to demonstrate continuous and sustained driving responsibility while the feature is engaged.