Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After dismissing the idea for years, Tesla is now apparently working on a a wireless charger. I always thought Musk’s vehement opposition to the idea did not make sense.

TBH wireless charging has always felt to me a bit like suerp-super-fast charging. Something that people who don't drive an EV think is ESSENTIAL, but something that EV owners realize its a nothingburger.
I really don't find the plugging in of a charger ever day or two is that big a deal. If it was even just 1% more efficient, I'd happily keep doing it.
I have to assume that Tesla's interest in this is related to robotaxi's returning to base. Even then, it seems by the time robotaxis are an actual possibility, optimus will easily be capable of plugging em in?

Mod:

I'm COVID cranky and maybe not thinking perfectly, but I just moved 37 posts into the union thread. The discussion started with news about scandinavian investments wanting to divest from TSLA because of the IF Metall strike. Fine. But of course the discussion continued to re-hash many of the discussions that had already happened in the other thread, which is why it existed in the first place. But then it really went off the rails, devolving into discussion about Wall St conspiracies. It was impossible to untangle the postings, so they all went to the west together. Then of course the discussion turned to Twitter. At least those could be nuked independently.

I don't know why I bother, so in fact I'm not convinced I will bother any more. We'll see.
--ggr, the very ambivalent moderator.

1702941395765.png

1702941442142.png

🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

My guess is that the ribbing on the tonneau cover is actually reducing total aero drag. For an electric car or pickup truck, pressure drag is usually 80-90% of total drag, because vehicles are shaped like blunt objects and don’t have a teardrop taper on the aft end. Although inducing some turbulence on the downslope does increase skin friction drag, it probably reduces pressure drag even more by keeping the boundary layer attached to the surface longer. It’s hard to say for sure though, and CFD simulations people have published on the internet showed that the truck’s gentle slope angle wasn’t going to have much problem with flow separation at highway speeds.

This is the same reason why golf balls have dimples and why many airplane wings have vortex generators. The turbulence disrupts the boundary layer which makes it stick better as the surface slopes away from the airflow. Airflow separation (like an airplane wing that’s starting to stall at too steep of an angle of attack) results in a low-pressure wake zone and vortices.

View attachment 996134
View attachment 996135
My guess was wrong. In the Munro live interview last week Lars said that airflow down the backside is laminar. That’s actually better though because it means the boundary layer is reattaching after the peak of the roof all by itself without any need for inducing turbulence.

Nothing new here, but it's John Oliver's take on Elon and his companies that will get a wide audience.

It has some misleading content like the headline about "2 million Teslas recalled". But it's not purely a hit piece either.

My summary of Oliver's message:
  • Elon is a genius who has created some incredible, important companies.
  • He can sometimes be ruthless in pursuit of his goals.
  • He's a flawed individual in many ways and it is unsettling that he has so much power and influence.
  • The dancing girl in the Optimus suit was silly.
View attachment 1000659
What a waste of time !.

Same old unfunny crap that every two bit comedian pulls on Musk. Half lies, half truths, scare mongering..

Silly separate question, heating the panels then forming? Obviously it bends easier and it's ultra hard steel, but is this potentially a better way to form? Which again makes me wonder, is this more cost effective than a 5 story press, even with conventional steel? Or it's just too much energy needed to pre-heat?
If you’re talking about outside panels, then no, you can’t heat them since they would look like crap and have other defects. They do heat metal for CT, but it’s for inside metal pieces that are coated or unseen.

And Tesla does not use any kind of press, 5 story or otherwise for exterior panels. They take stainless steel metal from giant rolls, straighten them, laser cut blanks, and then use an advanced finger break press to do small bends in them. That‘s all they do to the panels.