Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you’re talking about outside panels, then no, you can’t heat them since they would look like crap and have other defects. They do heat metal for CT, but it’s for inside metal pieces that are coated or unseen.

And Tesla does not use any kind of press, 5 story or otherwise for exterior panels. They take stainless steel metal from giant rolls, straighten them, laser cut blanks, and then use an advanced finger break press to do small bends in them. That‘s all they do to the panels.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, my question was on pros/cons to using the red-hot stamp CT interior panel process for other models' panels like on Y or 3. The Footprint and Foundation could be a lot smaller. This bendable red-hot forming could also enable use of softer tooling metals (or longer tool life) - like they in fact did on the panels with their Al/Bronze dies. Clearly a lot less force is needed and quite the hard steel with CT. Seems like a trade-off in energy source (heat vs massive hydraulic pressure) with a lot of floor space reduced. It may even eliminate the need for multi-stage forming. Bonus!

Also, I was talking about the 5 story presses for the other models such as 3 and Y - how they were described on my Fremont tour. The one's in the room the size of a stadium nearly.

TBH wireless charging has always felt to me a bit like suerp-super-fast charging. Something that people who don't drive an EV think is ESSENTIAL, but something that EV owners realize its a nothingburger.
I really don't find the plugging in of a charger ever day or two is that big a deal. If it was even just 1% more efficient, I'd happily keep doing it.
I have to assume that Tesla's interest in this is related to robotaxi's returning to base. Even then, it seems by the time robotaxis are an actual possibility, optimus will easily be capable of plugging em in?
Workplace or carpark charging. Keeping easy to damage equipment away from idiot drivers, vandals and bad weather. Might be less efficient but lower maintenance.

[Edit - below]

It should be possible to identify vehicle/charging account.

Other uses:-
  • Traffic lights
  • Semi/HGVs serving ports (high levels of congestion halts/slows traffic often)
  • Buses
  • Taxi stops. Especially at airports & train stations as these sometimes require special permits - the cost of which could include charging
  • On street parking (blanket install on whole terraced street)
  • Stadiums
  • Airport long term parking
If I owned carparks, with this tech being able to identify cars/accounts and work out if customer wants a charge, I'd blanket the carparks (assuming profitability and availability of tech at a minimum level).

Last edited:
I note #4 uses the word “introduces” as distinct from “produces”. This distinction likely means a future revenue stream may be a wish further away than 2024 IMO.

A reveal that does not have “Osborning” implications would be Optimus related. I note that improved neck movement on Optimus leads one to think how beneficial those movable cameras ”might” be vs fixed vehicle cameras.

So one question going forward might be if a robotaxi need be a specific product or if there is a path to make nearly any vehicle an Optimus Taxi. YMMV

Reactions: ShareLofty
Workplace or carpark charging. Keeping easy to damage equipment away from idiot drivers, vandals and bad weather. Might be less efficient but lower maintenance.

[Edit - below]

It should be possible to identify vehicle/charging account.

Other uses:-
  • Traffic lights
  • Semi/HGVs serving ports (high levels of congestion halts/slows traffic often)
  • Buses
  • Taxi stops. Especially at airports & train stations as these sometimes require special permits - the cost of which could include charging
  • On street parking (blanket install on whole terraced street)
  • Stadiums
  • Airport long term parking
If I owned carparks, with this tech being able to identify cars/accounts and work out if customer wants a charge, I'd blanket the carparks (assuming profitability and availability of tech at a minimum level).
I am certainly no construction expert, but have dealt with some nonsense involving super high voltage cabling.
My gut feeling is that for car parks, the cost of channeling out a concrete path to/from a wireless charge pad in the floor, and installing it in a way that is safe for every weight of vehicle to drive over it, when multiplied by 500 parking spaces would be extremely high.

The good thing about conventional chargers is that the cable can be routed down to them from existing overhead cable runs. Having a high voltage cable in the ceiling where nobody can get at it is likely safer than having a grid of them under the floor?

Maybe when building a new car park from scratch, it would make sense to install wireless pads.

The other problem is that its chicken-and-egg. Elon detests useless parts. The equipment on the car, however small, for wireless charging and identification will only make sense to install if wireless charging becomes as common as superchargers, and thats a LONG way out.
My best guess is that they will offer this as a high end option, maybe for S/X at first, with an eye to selling the kit to people for home charging in an owner's garage.

(maybe as a trial run to see how the tech performs so they can work towards a robotaxi charging solution)

I am certainly no construction expert, but have dealt with some nonsense involving super high voltage cabling.
My gut feeling is that for car parks, the cost of channeling out a concrete path to/from a wireless charge pad in the floor, and installing it in a way that is safe for every weight of vehicle to drive over it, when multiplied by 500 parking spaces would be extremely high.

The good thing about conventional chargers is that the cable can be routed down to them from existing overhead cable runs. Having a high voltage cable in the ceiling where nobody can get at it is likely safer than having a grid of them under the floor?

Maybe when building a new car park from scratch, it would make sense to install wireless pads.

The other problem is that its chicken-and-egg. Elon detests useless parts. The equipment on the car, however small, for wireless charging and identification will only make sense to install if wireless charging becomes as common as superchargers, and thats a LONG way out.
My best guess is that they will offer this as a high end option, maybe for S/X at first, with an eye to selling the kit to people for home charging in an owner's garage.

(maybe as a trial run to see how the tech performs so they can work towards a robotaxi charging solution)
Or maybe not focus on garages but charge while you drive :O Elonroad

Why AI Will Spark Exponential Economic Growth | Cathie Wood | TED (2023-12-18)

Recorded in Oct 2023 at TED.AI in San Francisco. Cathie starts slow, but by the 5 min mark she's taking about the $8-10T Market for Robotaxis by 2030, and she finishes with a flourish predicting a $200T AI Market and 40% CAGR for AI platforms. Good charts featured, well worth the time to watch (esp. @ 1.4x) ;)

Last edited:
I note #4 uses the word “introduces” as distinct from “produces”. This distinction likely means a future revenue stream may be a wish further away than 2024 IMO.

A reveal that does not have “Osborning” implications would be Optimus related. I note that improved neck movement on Optimus leads one to think how beneficial those movable cameras ”might” be vs fixed vehicle cameras.

So one question going forward might be if a robotaxi need be a specific product or if there is a path to make nearly any vehicle an Optimus Taxi. YMMV
robotaxi - one unit
optimus taxi - two units - robo-in-taxi ;) +Optimus will be initially trained to be a turtle(slow < 5 miles), robotaxi as a hare .. upto 120M/hr.

both are NN, Dojo based. So if solved for one, optimus would be redundant no?
robotaxi will have 8+ eyes (will compensate for the movement) as well as some new high-res radars. The cameras could in future be paired with some actuators no? and make it move slightly if required?. cheers!!

Reactions: wtlloyd
Tesla doing the right thing, this will get good publicity - hopefully people find out in time!

FWIW nearly all the German car makers are doing the same thing (BMW, VW, and Mercedes at least that I've noticed)

As a downside look I've already seen people cite this as "evidence" Tesla will be cutting prices Jan 1 on the cars losing US tax credits and recommending everyone wait to buy based on it.

robotaxi - one unit
optimus taxi - two units - robo-in-taxi ;)

both are NN, Dojo based. So if solved for one, optimus would be redundant no?
robotaxi will have 8+ eyes (will compensate for the movement) as well as some new radars. The cameras could in future be paired with some actuators no? and make it move slightly if required?. cheers!!

Yeah, if you can actually get (whatever revision) of the FSD computer to drive then there's no reason to ALSO have a robot in the car doing what the car could already do.

That said- having one at each supercharger to plug/unplug, plus clean the cars while they charge, seems a lot more practical than refitting every supercharger stall with a wireless pad (that 0% of the current fleet could even use)

As a downside look I've already seen people cite this as "evidence" Tesla will be cutting prices Jan 1 on the cars losing US tax credits and recommending everyone wait to buy based on it.
Wait... so, they say not to take a $7,500 credit now because they think Tesla will lower prices more than $7,500 next year? 🤯🤣🤪

I mean, if you don't qualify for the credit, that's one thing, but everyone?

FWIW nearly all the German car makers are doing the same thing (BMW, VW, and Mercedes at least that I've noticed)

Yeah, if you can actually get (whatever revision) of the FSD computer to drive then there's no reason to ALSO have a robot in the car doing what the car could already do.

That said- having one at each supercharger to plug/unplug, plus clean the cars while they charge, seems a lot more practical than refitting every supercharger stall with a wireless pad (that 0% of the current fleet could even use)
not sure on price cuts in US, as they might limit production by the upcoming tooling changes ...
Also if car loan interest drops, there might actually increase the price to make monthly payments the same ...

not sure on price cuts in US, as they might limit production by the upcoming tooling changes ...

Wasn't Shanghai only down for like 7-10 days or something for Highland refresh? I recall everyone being quite surprised how little production was lost relative to a model refresh (look at the S/X debacle for example)

Also if car loan interest drops, there might actually increase the price to make monthly payments the same ...

This is REALLY not a thing.

As many have shown the math on- the price cuts this year make monthly payments significantly cheaper with todays high interest rates than they were when interest rates were much lower but car prices were much higher- if interest rates were the issue they didn't need to cut NEARLY as much as they did to keep payments the same.

They cut prices because there simply were not enough buyers at the higher prices as production continued to scale- so they needed to offer significantly LOWER payments now than what a smaller # of folks were ok taking when production was only 1.3M not 1.8.

Keep that in mind as Tesla works to scale north of 2M in 2024 simply by scaling up Y production further and an at-best-for-24 0.1M CT contribution. Highland will help some, but most sales are Y anymore.

Wasn't Shanghai only down for like 7-10 days or something for Highland refresh? I recall everyone being quite surprised how little production was lost relative to a model refresh (look at the S/X debacle for example)

This is REALLY not a thing.

As many have shown the math on- the price cuts this year make monthly payments significantly cheaper with todays high interest rates than they were when interest rates were much lower but car prices were much higher- if interest rates were the issue they didn't need to cut NEARLY as much as they did to keep payments the same.

They cut prices because there simply were not enough buyers at the higher prices as production continued to scale- so they needed to offer significantly LOWER payments now than what a smaller # of folks were ok taking when production was only 1.3M not 1.8.

Keep that in mind as Tesla works to scale north of 2M in 2024 simply by scaling up Y production further and an at-best-for-24 0.1M CT contribution. Highland will help some, but most sales are Y anymore.
, wasn't it more than that? See Q3 numbers - and drop from week 8 onwards in the chart.

on price cuts haven't seen the math ... but one slightly accepted theory on the price cuts was due to increasing interest rates, so we should be seeing the reverse also taking affect? If not on just price, then maybe due to increase in demand because there will be more consumers wanting to buy with a better deal on the loans. cheers!!

Quick question for those who have built spreadsheets to track TSLA. What do you reference the current year's growth to?

Some seem to use the previous year's (2022) Closing Price ($123.18) to measure against, and others appear to reference the Closing Price for the first day of the current year. ($108.10)

Usually, it doesn't make much difference in any given year as those prices would be close to one another, but this year it represents a 12% decline from Dec 30, 2022 to Jan 3, 2023. Whichever is used will significantly skew the overall result for this year's growth.
(106% vs 135% growth, respectively)

Is one of these references considered the "accepted" point to place the yardstick from which to measure annual growth?
(i.e.: closing price for: the last day of prior year; or, first day of current year)

Just want to be measuring next year's (hopefully) meteoric trajectory from the correct launch pad... 🚀 :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: unk45