Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dr. Scott Walker does excellent work analyzing the Optimus bot actuators and electricals, but he's made an incorrect assumption that Optimus bot will use 2170 battery cells, saying it will have over 200 of them. This is contrary to what Tesla showed us in its 'see-thru' diagram of Optimus, which clearly had 4 rows of 7 cells each (nominally a 14S-2P battery: (see details mid-right here)
Yeah.
Slide says 2.3kWh. 2170 cells are 17.3Wh, so it would require roughly 133 of them or 14s10p ish.
28 cells would mean each cell in the slide was 82 Wh which lines up with 4680s at 86Wh each.

18650s would be in the 200 range...

Last edited:
Hey, in the spirit of Christmas....

And for my fellow Rush fans...

Hey, 10 bucks IS 10 bucks.

And finally, one that makes me think of Elon (vid nothing to do with it-but better than some of the other ones of this song). Spirit with a vision...is a dream with a mission.

And finally-one from the first shuttle launch.

And that's it for my off-topic posts for the night.
Thanks for that, I read about Geddy's connection with the Great White in his autobiography, but never heard it!

And damn, that Columbia tribute is moving. I watched that live on TV, was devasating. Damn those o-rings! I don't think kids today appreciate how dangerous space explaoration was in the past

And Countdown, well, I was on mly way to my first Rush gig on May 23 1983, Signals Tour, when Countdown came on the radio, had been flirting with the UK charts at the time and broke into it, was a magical moment...

I think I shared this already after Neil's death, but worth revisting, a nebulous link to Tesla as they have a great Vet programme:

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! And me (from my daughter)!
1703535221841.jpeg

I think this is pretty perfect, except it will fore sure (HOPEFULLY) not have FWD. Not doable for that pricetag and maybe for once, they should REALLY focus on getting it easy to manufacture :)
Except to sell to sell multimillons year after year it needs to have four doors, a full backseat, room for a few suitcases and no Falcon doors. So nowhere close to what Tesla will actually do.

Would be a great sportscar though.

And damn, that Columbia tribute is moving. I watched that live on TV, was devasating. Damn those o-rings! I don't think kids today appreciate how dangerous space explaoration was in the past
The O-rings were Challenger. Columbia was foam damage to the leading edge of the wing.

Elon at one time said the location of the next European Gigafactory would be announced around the end of 2023 - I would imagine it will almost certainly happen in 2024. It seems Italy and France (perhaps Spain also) are still in contention, and the UK may throw its hat back in the ring after Somerset went to Tata

Elon at one time said the location of the next European Gigafactory would be announced around the end of 2023 - I would imagine it will almost certainly happen in 2024. It seems Italy and France (perhaps Spain also) are still in contention, and the UK may throw its hat back in the ring after Somerset went to Tata
UK is in political, economic, medical & infrastructure chaos. I wouldn't invest. I think Tesla & Elon know this very well.

In fact, I could see the writing on the wall years ago & it was a big reason why I looked at USA shares, and then that eventually led to TSLA.

Maybe Sweden? 🤣

Spain would make sense to me - lots of solar power, and IIRC France doesn't allow them to export excess electricity to the rest of Europe to protect its own power plant profitability. Use that extra production for a Gigafactory, IMO. Not sure what labour is like there... But France has a reputation for striking & rioting as a national pastime... Not sure you'd get as much productivity there.

Elon will have a huge problem with any of those countries :cool:

Annual averages of days not worked due to strikes per 1,000 employees 2010-2019​

France 127
Spain 49
Uk 18
Sweden 2

France has a 98% collective bargaining coverage. Sweden has 90%.

Source: Which countries go on strike the most in Europe?

Last edited:
UK is in political, economic, medical & infrastructure chaos. I wouldn't invest. I think Tesla & Elon know this very well.
This YouTube channel provides some interesting information on the UK, China and Russia.

['UK in Deep Trouble as GDP Crashes, Recession Looms, Debt Hits Record Level & Sunak Pledges Fail']​

I can see why Elon is concerned about a recession, and there are still a few headwinds in 2024.

The people in the UK deserve better, I hope you can elect a series of governments that make good decisions over the next decade, because that is what it will take to get the UK back on track.

Last edited:
This YouTube channel provides some interesting information on the UK, China and Russia.

['UK in Deep Trouble as GDP Crashes, Recession Looms, Debt Hits Record Level & Sunak Pledges Fail']​

I can see why Elon is concerned about a recession, and there are still a few headwinds in 2024.
Joe is good, lived experience here in the UK as well.

It isn't the right time to take a gamble on the UK. Maybe in the future, I just don't see any competitive advantage and plenty of risks. Megapacktory as a support for wind power and grid would be fine.

In comparison, Spain's strikes, infrastructure & other factors probably depend on region and industry (public or private sector). Large, diverse country with differences in politics & much more between different regions.

I do wonder about Poland, Czechia or Slovakia for a factory. Relatively close to Berlin which gives an element of competition/risk avoidance, but shipping cars is rather similar. Last 2 very big in manufacturing including cars.

I think we could end up with Megapacktories in many European countries.