Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t know whether you’re being obtuse, ignorant, just plain confrontational or some combination.

“Done?” I did not nor would I have used that verb form. In logic - and in law - a sin of omission can be as wrong as a sin of commission.

I needn’t wear the mantle of any stakeholder other than that of a shareholder, one which presumably you and the other members of this forum also either are or contemplate being.

As such a shareholder, years - decades - of experience and the collective centuries of historical knowledge show that labor unions participating in the affairs of a company negatively affect the welfare of the shareholder. Deny that at your peril.

As far as the greater sphere of all stakeholders is concerned, there I know the calculus is more complex. The goals, the desires - of employees, of suppliers, of the local community, the politicos, the country, the world, the environment, the future generations… these not only can and irrefutably are going to differ, but also will conflict.

BUT: To the extent which there has been any friction between Tesla and organized labor - and by friction I mean any interaction of any sort - then by the immutable laws of pure logic Tesla has sinned. By commission (“done” something such that there is labor grievance), or by omission: failure to communicate effectively just why it is in each employee’s best interest not to succumb to the allure of a labor union.

I posit it is the latter. Regardless, as I wrote in my prior post, Costco not only is to be commended for so recognizing, but should seriously considered by the Board for following.
How so? A sin can encapsulate a lot depending on the shoes one is wearing.

How so? A sin can encapsulate a lot depending on the shoes one is wearing.
An older definition of sin, and an archery term, is "to miss the mark". My understanding is Audi is saying Tesla missed communicating sufficiently with employees as to the benefits of not needing to unionize.

I haven't worked at Tesla and so I can't speak to that directly. However, my impression is that that is not indicative of the situation regarding IF Metal.

Last edited:
I’ve now made the same assumptions about you. I asked a straight up question why Tesla had to take note of what Costco did. You suggesting that Tesla had to do it in the first place leaves a person to wonder what Tesla has or hasn’t done regarding employees. No need to leave a message that Tesla has to follow another company’s position if Tesla is in fact doing things just fine. So what exactly has Tesla done that warrants your message? Feel free to provide specifics otherwise your message can be ignored by Tesla.

Alternatively, you could have said ALL companies should follow Costco’s example. Then I wouldn’t have asked the question.
That’s easy enough.

First:
I’ll make you happy: YES. All companies can profit by Costco’s example. All, that is, that have organized labor attempting to make inroads. As my exposure to TSLA dwarfs that of all my other investments combined, so is my concern likewise focused.

Second:
Costco did and does have an ongoing problem with labor unions…As. Does. Tesla. Costco in retrospect, after first, in 2022 some 5% of its workforce joined the Teamsters, and then, last week the entire staff in Norfolk did, made that announcement.
Too bad for Costco. As I wrote, its management made that announcement ex post facto. The congratulations due them is that they realized, albeit belatedly, where they slipped. That Tesla may profit by their example was and is the lesson. A perfect case of the best defense being a good offense.

Is the new refreshed M3 the same as Highland M3 ?
Yes, and for those that didn't get the feature list (other posters had asked):

Highlights of the Refreshed Highland Model 3 Compared to Original:​

• Enhanced body styling
  • Improved aerodynamics
  • Adaptive LED matrix headlights (*Edit: I'm told these may not be in the US version - thx)
  • Second screen (8 inch) for rear seat passengers’ entertainment
  • Increased range (333 to 341 miles in Long Range AWD version)
  • Same list price as previous Model 3 (currently $38,990 for Standard Range version, $45,990 for Long Range AWD)
  • Simplified Interior (including elimination of steering wheel stalks)
  • Customizable ambient lighting
  • Quieter cabin with noise-reducing glass all around
  • Perforated/ventilated seats
  • Enhanced premium sound system with 17 speakers

Full link (cleantechnica) : Tesla's Redesigned Highland Model 3 Now Available in the United States - CleanTechnica

Last edited:
The European Union has approved €902 million in aid for Swedish company Northvolt to set up an electric vehicle battery plant in Germany. The aid is similar to incentives being offered by US Inflation Reduction Act and will help keep Northvolt's plant within Europe.

Source: EU approves €902 mn aid for Northvolt's EV battery plant in Germany

Tesla famously delayed 4680 production at Giga Berlin to be able to accelerate the production in the US presumably because of the IRA.

Could they now get aid to re-accellerate 4680 production in Germany?

The new Northvolt factory is about 4,5 hours on the motorway from Giga Berlin in case they make decent batteries there.

Except the adaptive headlights in the US
Well, the adaptive headlights are in the US, the same as everywhere else. There just aren't any adaptive features enabled yet, just like in the rest of the world.

And they may never be enabled, as they were likely designed to meet the SAE standards, but when NHTSA made the rules for adaptive headlights they made the rules much more restrictive than the SAE standards. (A lot of OEMs are pushing back because they don't want to have to make new headlights to meet the NHTSA standards, they say that the SAE ones are good enough.)

Well, the adaptive headlights are in the US, the same as everywhere else. There just aren't any adaptive features enabled yet, just like in the rest of the world.

And they may never be enabled, as they were likely designed to meet the SAE standards, but when NHTSA made the rules for adaptive headlights they made the rules much more restrictive than the SAE standards. (A lot of OEMs are pushing back because they don't want to have to make new headlights to meet the NHTSA standards, they say that the SAE ones are good enough.)
That was my point and they are active outside of the US, especially in Europe, but none are in the US for the reasons you listed.

I don’t know whether you’re being obtuse, ignorant, just plain confrontational or some combination.
I know The Cat is not ignorant, and in this case was not being obtuse or confrontational, (although I do know cats with those characteristics). I apologize for these remarks. (Oh wait…did I say those things?)

Here's EPS estimates off NASDAQs webpage. Seems low, so a stock crushing huge beat will surely happen
1704921737250.png

Here's EPS estimates off NASDAQs webpage. Seems low, so a stock crushing huge beat will surely happen
View attachment 1007760
Don't you worry, there is still time for 'revised' estimates that somehow will magically get really, really close to the actual earnings, or maybe even cause $TSLA to miss estimates.

The European Union has approved €902 million in aid for Swedish company Northvolt to set up an electric vehicle battery plant in Germany. The aid is similar to incentives being offered by US Inflation Reduction Act and will help keep Northvolt's plant within Europe.

Source: EU approves €902 mn aid for Northvolt's EV battery plant in Germany

Tesla famously delayed 4680 production at Giga Berlin to be able to accelerate the production in the US presumably because of the IRA.

Could they now get aid to re-accellerate 4680 production in Germany?

The new Northvolt factory is about 4,5 hours on the motorway from Giga Berlin in case they make decent batteries there.

Interestingly, Tesla could have gotten over a billion of EU aid two years ago but declined:

For the planned battery cell production in Grünheide near Berlin, the US electric car manufacturer is now waiving possible government funding of up to 1.14 billion euros. The company informed the Federal Ministry of Economics and the Brandenburg Ministry of Economics that it is “withdrawing its IPCEI application for state funding for the battery factory in Grünheide,” Tesla said in a statement on Friday.
IPCEI is the abbreviation for an EU program to promote “important projects of common European interest”. …

Only if they had delayed 4680 manufacturing at GigaTexas so that the GigaBerlin factory had the first production manufacturing of the 4680 cells.

But this time there is not (mentioned in the article) any such limitation for Nortvolt to get aid.

And the aid is specified to be keeping production from moving from Germany to the US. Which the previous aid to Tesla failed to do when the restrictions they put on Tesla got too big. And Tesla moved machinery over to Giga Texas.

Not that Tesla needs aid to do so - but it would be nice to see 4680 production ramping in Germany.