Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2.) Twice from Hertz (Austin TX and Chicago IL) - both went well. In both cases I had to spend some time redoing a lot of the settings on the screen that others had messed up. Perhaps most egregious was in Austin when I drove out into the sunlight and the screen went blank!
Were these rentals before they started offering the QR code to setup access via the Tesla app and sync your settings? (I think their standard process resets everything to default between renters now, at least when they do it correctly.)

• Informative
Reactions: jkirkwood001

Stock market as a whole is down today. But this story should effect Hertz and not Tesla.

1. Hertz only bought half of the 100K order. Tesla had no trouble selling M3s.
2. Tesla did not sell the M3 at a discount but at then full price.
3. Whether Hertz takes a bath on selling assets is Hertz problem.

As a reason to sell Tesla stock, this excuse is one of the lamest.

Does anyone get the feeling some top secret "adjustments" happen to cause such a spike mid-day. It's gone now, but not imagined. I've seen plenty in AH like this, but it's day now. Like someone opened the curtain for a moment... oh-oh!

View attachment 1007969
Someone made a typo in their buy order.

• Funny
Reactions: SOULPEDL
"I disagree with the idea of unions," he (Musk) said in November at the New York Times DealBook Summit. "If Tesla is unionized, it'll be because we deserve it and we failed in some way."
This looks an awful lot like the Costco statement to its employees after they unionized. The difference being the word IF.

"The fact that a majority of Norfolk employees felt that they wanted or needed a union constitutes a failure on our part." Costco

Used to know a guy who ran Hertz’s shop in Kona. He said all the cars that had perfect service records went back to the car company as CPOs. Cars with bad histories (wrecks, etc. ) went to the wholesaler. Cars in between went on their lot. They don’t want the lousy one’s hurting their reputation. He considered their lot cars fair value as they went for less than market.

Stock market as a whole is down today. But this story should effect Hertz and not Tesla.

An order of 50k cars is not going to happen, plus no additional orders currently. Bigger, other rental companies have been said by MSM to be waiting to see how it works out with Hertz (MSM rumor, so probably complete BS)...Of course that's going to negatively impact the stock..."Rental fleets are going to avoid Tesla" is the BS that's going to be spewed, even after the CEO's comments that they were just too early on going to EVs for rentals.

You know how things are spun.

An order of 50k cars is not going to happen, plus no additional orders currently. Bigger, other rental companies have been said by MSM to be waiting to see how it works out with Hertz (MSM rumor, so probably complete BS)...Of course that's going to negatively impact the stock..."Rental fleets are going to avoid Tesla" is the BS that's going to be spewed, even after the CEO's comments that they were just too early on going to EVs for rentals.

You know how things are spun.
Amazing. I just saw a Fox/Business headline stating that Hertz was "Selling 20,000 Electric Vehicles From Its U.S. Fleet", and not a mention of the word TESLA! o_O

Huh? We've seen ridiculous, even ludicrous reasons here.

Hertz report could be damaging based on that cost to repair theme alone. Many Tesla's out there globally are still under warranty and maintenance is infrequent. But bodywork... that paint is tricky from what I'm told.

I'm pretty certain that a (tiny) % of rental customers decelerate first time and get rear ended. And how many of you have just sat there to suddenly realize you did not put it in park 15 sec ago? Pure Vision and safety systems do help out, and will improve asymptotically toward perfection - despite the idiot (or new) driver. This path was Tesla's choice and I believe it stems from Elon's experience in running a software company. Intuitive HMI is likely the excuse used. Fender benders have and will continue to happen; the higher expense was a predictable outcome IMO.

I don't think Hertz shared details on repair costs compared to ICE or non-Tesla's. Have they?

Reactions: AZRI11 and navguy12
Huh? We've seen ridiculous, even ludicrous reasons here.

Hertz report could be damaging based on that cost to repair theme alone. Many Tesla's out there globally are still under warranty and maintenance is infrequent. But bodywork... that paint is tricky from what I'm told.

I'm pretty certain that a (tiny) % of rental customers decelerate first time and get rear ended. And how many of you have just sat there to suddenly realize you did not put it in park 15 sec ago? Pure Vision and safety systems do help out, and will improve asymptotically toward perfection - despite the idiot (or new) driver. This path was Tesla's choice and I believe it stems from Elon's experience in running a software company. Intuitive HMI is likely the excuse used. Fender benders have and will continue to happen; the higher expense was a predictable outcome IMO.

I don't think Hertz shared details on repair costs compared to ICE or non-Tesla's. Have they?
No, they just said it was more expensive.

• Helpful
Reactions: SOULPEDL
Amazing. I just saw a Fox/Business headline stating that Hertz was "Selling 20,000 Electric Vehicles From Its U.S. Fleet", and not a mention of the word TESLA! o_O
I noticed that which makes me wonder, how much of the 20,000 were Teslas? I haven't seen any breakdown of the sales by make/model but my guess is that most of the sales were not Teslas. Does anybody have more info on that?

I noticed that which makes me wonder, how much of the 20,000 were Teslas? I haven't seen any breakdown of the sales by make/model but my guess is that most of the sales were not Teslas. Does anybody have more info on that?
Not yet, but I bet I know half a dozen YouTubers who are researching this very question. 📺 Stay tuned.

I think you were going for "'omission vs '[c]omission".

Regardless, @Krugerrand asked the question I, and likely others, had. The original post did not specify why Tesla *specifically* needed to take note. I still don't know that it has been answered.

But I'm sure glad I wasn't the one who asked...

Like ouch!

Not that the rest of the follow up clarified anything:

Done is general past tense timeline filtering. If there is not a past action nor inaction to reference, a warning to a specific entity is unwarranted.

Is not a strong reason to call out Tesla to 'take Note'. "To the extent which there has been any friction between Tesla and organized labor - and by friction I mean any interaction of any sort - then by the immutable laws of pure logic Tesla has sinned."???

People/groups can create friction (let's not leave it at the level of mere "interaction") for their own interests, not because there is an actual failure.

By that 'immutable logic', our mods have sinned everytime there is forum friction (including this chain)...

It's even less understandable with the recent European events in which the majority of Tesla employees have rejected the advances of the union organizers...
In fact, it was Costco that should have taken note of Tesla's actions regarding unions. Treat your staff right so there's no need for them to unionize. Costco dropped the ball and realized it too late. Just like Peter Tosh, Tesla is keeping the ball in the air in rhythm to the music!

Last edited:

Selling the assets at low cycle / bottom pricing after acknowledging having acquired them at peak prices does not come across as logical / responsible as the steward of the company. It seems he was particularly motivated.

In fact, it was Costco that should have taken note of Tesla's actions regarding unions. Treat your staff right so there's no need to unionize. Costco dropped the ball and realized it too late. Just like Peter Tosh, Tesla is keeping the ball in the air in rhythm to the music!
So a stock price increase would be the easiest way to fend off any concerns? Just to be certain, eh.
That's my final vote.