Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We had a pretty decent snowfall yesterday, I'd guess around 7cm, which is a lot compared to recent years. flipped to 40kmph rate…<snip>
We also had to shuffle some snow yesterday…
IMG_7197.jpeg

Was on trip last weekend, 3-4 hours away, -22-27 Celsius, 2 nights, no overnight charging, running lot of errands there.

I honestly could not tell any difference in supercharging from «normal» trips. As always navigating ~15km or more to the supercharger (getting a minimum of pre-heating).

Maybe it did take 5 or 10 minutes more than normal, I don’t know. But it is, afterall, winter…

Musk owns about 45% of SpaceX. I think he owns 18% of Tesla fully diluted. It’s hard to make a case that 45% of starlink is worth 7% of Tesla. Sure, starlink has grown quite a bit since inception but at some point, it will saturate the market. Telcos always do. It’s anyone’s guess what that point is.
As with EV prognostication, Starlink guesses tend to miss the point. Depending on whose estimate one values there are ~1.5 billion vehicles worldwide. Viewing static infrastructure and market share of EV’s only it is trivially easy to underestimate the pace of change.
Starlink is already proving new markets for constant access. Deere just begins using Starlink to guide agricultural equipment. Last week I was in a Tanzania lodge in the Serengeti nine hours from the nearest city, with fast, reliable Starlink. Then there is shipping:
Back to remote Tanzania where the same lodge is negotiating to move entirely to solar power and adopt Electric safari vehicles, initially talking with Land Rover.

These are just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the world has poor or non-existent electric infrastructure and poor communications. Now, as electrical power becomes more accessible thanks to cheap solar panels, wind capture and cheaper storage, places that have fossil fuel shipped in from far away can adopt state-of-the-art technologies, facilitated by those Starlink, and other, satélite communications abilities.

The short term for Tesla is always speculative because so many variables can cause positive or negative share and earnings movements. Looking forward, however, we can easily see that mass adoption of EV, internet and renewables will transform human energy usage. More severe climate change impact will accelerate these changes. Simultaneously there are nascent efforts to restore the ancient processes that yielded comfortable living space in inhospitable environments.

That last paragraph is meant to illustrate how massive changes will be during the next decade. Bluntly, there really is not much choice.
The pace of change is accelerating because, for the first time, the best solutions are now cheaper than the bad ones.
Obviously the established fossil fuel industry will trend towards the same end as did horses and other animals as power sources.

We are now in the midst of massive market manipulation for TSLA. Retail traders cannot long succeed in gaming this system precisely because retail traders cannot possess critical data quickly enough to profit consistently. Many of us, maybe most, look at a horizons of one year or less. In this global situation I think the minimum planning horizon is five years or more.

Based on what we know today it is safe to assume, in my opinion, that the major sources of TSLA revenues and profits in 2030 will be things we cannot realistically assess today. For realistic comparable situations just look at General Electric in 1919 or AT&T in the 1890’s. The basic analytical problem we are having today is that we are in the miidst of technological revolution but mostly perceiving a continuum.

This perspective really hit me most strongly last week as I browsed the internet in the Serengeti in my comfortable room while thinking of my first trip there 50 years ago. I conclude that one of very few people who grasp the consequences may well be Elon Musk. Flaws he has in abundance, perhaps because he has an acute awareness of the future and rather less of the present.
Science Fiction written by actual scientists, such as Isaac Asimov, probably helps to put change into perspective, even if Psycohistory never comes to fruitition.

Last edited:
Obasuteoptimus;)
OT OT OT
@AudubonB
on a related note, I had a very elderly, ill, great great great uncle in Sweden (not the Orient) (mid 1800's) with bleeding gums & such who "went for a walk by a fjord" unassisted by any robot or relative

Moderator:
Modmode ON: Interesting, but let’s not walk down this path. Post deleted, then undeleted, because of a sudden, I cannot create PMs. Not even to myself……

Last edited by a moderator:
Thailand predicted to hit 20% EV sales this year. A fast uptake in a developing country. I was there in early 2022 and there were almost no EV's, there again in Oct 2023, BYD and other Chinese brands everywhere. EV's were 12% of the market in 2023. 12% is higher than the US! Tesla is 4th in this market. Thailand cut import taxes on some makes as long as they committed to local production in the near term future. BYD and Great wall are building plants and will likely export from Thailand.

Personally think Thailand is a great place for Tesla to build out capacity as an alternative to China. Strong automotive supply chain and lot's of local automotive manufacturing knowhow.

Based on what we know today it is safe to assume, in my opinion, that the major sources of TSLA revenues and profits in 2030 will be things we cannot realistically assess today. For realistic comparable situations just look at General Electric in 1919 or AT&T in the 1890’s. The basic analytical problem we are having today is that we are in the miidst of technological revolution but seeing a continnuom.
Your full post was excellent, as usual, and I'd like to add to the paragraph above.

Looking at the projected market growth in energy storage,
by 2030, Tesla will be seen as an ENERGY company that dabbles in AUTOS
by 2035, Tesla will be seen as an AI/ROBOTICS company that dabbles in ENERGY and AUTOS
by 2040, Tesla will be seen as a [USE YOUR IMAGINATION] company that dabbles in AI/ROBOTICS, ENERGY and AUTOS
BY 2045 . . . . so on and so on.

1705584896638.png

note: I believe this chart is a bit stale (circa 2020) but it's still directionally correct imo.

Cold car antecdote: my Golf TDI failed to start this afternoon. 19F when I parked it at work this morning. My strong suspicion is that the intercooler is full of ice and blocking airflow to the motor. This is condensed water vapor from combustion introduced by the low pressure EGR. Functioning as designed.
(before trading hours...)

Hmmm, our household has had a couple of turbo intercooled vehicles, including a VW TDI. We've had winters with temps colder than that. Never had the insides of an intercooler clog up due to ice. Nor have I heard of that with many folks I know who also have intercooled engines...

Now, glow plug and fuel-gelling issues, yes. Diesels also like good cranking speed to generate that compression heat, and the cold effects on batteries compounds the aforementioned issues. Have you checked those?

Your hope lasts longer than your reading retention. In fairness to you, this was like so 10 days ago... :p

Elon Will Give a Tesla Talk After the 10K, Probably First Week of February
Then I should PROBABLY have my head examined?!
Setting the date and sending out flyers to the usual band of idiots in MSM would perhaps negate some risk to any sort of margin or eps issues with some suspense/fun. Curbing selling sounds like a good plan to me judging by the nearly 100% drop rate after good news :)

Or maybe the talk is a nothing burger and was spun up because of Elon catching flac for SEAMING inattentive in Tesla. I remember a few quarters ago someone asked a question basically saying “what are you doing with your time?” and his response was basically “I could not think of a single thing that I could do to that would make the company any faster or better that I’m not already doing.” That’s always a good feeling, hopefully that’s still the case.

Either way I hope for some details on ER and mb some exciting announcements from Tesla @ the talk.

I’m hoping for a great report. $200 stock price is way too close for my comfort. Have big plans for May of this year, my fingers & toes are all crossed. Was glad to see ihor @ S3 report that Tsla is no longer the most shorted stock.

Good luck all.

Thailand predicted to hit 20% EV sales this year. A fast uptake in a developing country. I was there in early 2022 and there were almost no EV's, there again in Oct 2023, BYD and other Chinese brands everywhere. EV's were 12% of the market in 2023. 12% is higher than the US! Tesla is 4th in this market. Thailand cut import taxes on some makes as long as they committed to local production in the near term future. BYD and Great wall are building plants and will likely export from Thailand. ..

Personally think Thailand is a great place for Tesla to build out capacity as an alternative to China. Strong automotive supply chain and lot's of local automotive manufacturing knowhow.
Everyone who dismisses middle and upper middle income countries as prospects generally ignore the daily realities many such countries are having right now. As fact today, countries such as Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, many African countries, Brazil, Chile and more are having local production of solar panels, inverters, storage and automotive batteries/packs and much more. BYD right now produces batteries for busses, trucks, cars, residential and commercial storage, electric trains plus completely integrated off-grid solutions for commercial and residential use all in Brazil. GWM is building/has built production facilities in a number of countries. I did not even mention wind power.

What most westerners forget is that the Chinese investments, in particular are transforming grids while enabling all manner of electrification. Virtually nobody notices how they start, by installing fundamental infrastructure, Brazil is typical:
State Grid Brazil HoldingState Grid Brazil Holdinghttps://stategrid.com.br › ...

Among non-Chinese companies almost none are going towards infrastructure first. Almost none, because Tesla began Superchargers in concert with Model S, and today the combination of grid services, wholesale operation with house builders, VPP's and Superchargers (owned and sold) makes Tesla the only non-Chinese company that seriously pursues integrated solutions.

Tesla is limited by lack of engineers, and the need to satisfy largely uncooperative US regulators. One might argue with that conclusion...but not if looking carefully at what happens when national priorities are directed towards global electrification. The unique Tesla advantages remain in technological innovation, exemplified by manufacturing and distribution efficiency. Nobody matches Tesla on those two crucial elements.

(before trading hours...)

Hmmm, our household has had a couple of turbo intercooled vehicles, including a VW TDI. We've had winters with temps colder than that. Never had the insides of an intercooler clog up due to ice. Nor have I heard of that with many folks I know who also have intercooled engines...

Now, glow plug and fuel-gelling issues, yes. Diesels also like good cranking speed to generate that compression heat, and the cold effects on batteries compounds the aforementioned issues. Have you checked those?

The very same thing happened to me 4 years ago, wouldn't even crank. Same car, same parking location similar temps. I was not apprised of this well known intercooler icing issue at the time. That time, I threw my midtronics pbt300 on the battery and it showed a full 600CA but I replaced the battery anyway and it sill wouldn't start. I eventually puzzled this out on my own and after a few days of warmer temps I jacked it up, pulled the skid plate, popped the lower charge pipe and got about half a liter of oily water dumped next to my head. Engine started right up after that. I ran a VW TDI specific repair shop in Austin for about 10 years (runonbeer.com) and my car is the only one I've ever seen do this. My buddy in Colorado ran a shop in Golden CO for about the same amount of time (dieselland.net, now defunct. He currently runs dieselgeek.com) and he also is perplexed as to why I continue to have this problem as he's never seen it.

My guess is that it has something to do with whatever particular DPF/NOx/SOx cat Regen cycle it happens to be running leading up to the time I park it. Though I do monitor that closely with a PolarFIS and I know it was in Ff01 stage, which is "no Regen", it is close to needing to run one with !soot @ 22.2g and the Regen status counter @ 6.0 out of 7.0 (where it commences an active FF10 regen). I don't monitor, or have access to, LP EGR duty cycle afaik.

The very same thing happened to me 4 years ago, wouldn't even crank. Same car, same parking location similar temps. I was not apprised of this well known intercooler icing issue at the time. That time, I threw my midtronics pbt300 on the battery and it showed a full 600CA but I replaced the battery anyway and it sill wouldn't start. I eventually puzzled this out on my own and after a few days of warmer temps I jacked it up, pulled the skid plate, popped the lower charge pipe and got about half a liter of oily water dumped next to my head. Engine started right up after that. I ran a VW TDI specific repair shop in Austin for about 10 years (runonbeer.com) and my car is the only one I've ever seen do this. My buddy in Colorado ran a shop in Golden CO for about the same amount of time (dieselland.net, now defunct. He currently runs dieselgeek.com) and he also is perplexed as to why I continue to have this problem as he's never seen it.

My guess is that it has something to do with whatever particular DPF/NOx/SOx cat Regen cycle it happens to be running leading up to the time I park it. Though I do monitor that closely with a PolarFIS and I know it was in Ff01 stage, which is "no Regen", it is close to needing to run one with !soot @ 22.2g and the Regen status counter @ 6.0 out of 7.0 (where it commences an active FF10 regen). I don't monitor, or have access to, LP EGR duty cycle afaik.
I'm so glad that, while the stock market is open, VW diesel owners can trade stories and advice if they don't want to trade TSLA 😀