Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Funny how most people have no problem with opinions that they agree with.
Absolutely that’s often true.
I have been bullish on Tesla since 2013 but I still appreciate a well thought out bearish opinion and there are plenty of bullish opinions that are complete b**l c**p.
Everyone finds value in different things.
Pretty much everything on this forum is opinion. Every one has access to the same facts. It’s what they mean that is the bone of contention
Again, absolutely. I’d be content without all the opinions and facts only. People as a whole and in general simply aren’t capable of doing it.

Try it sometime. Just as a personal experiment. Try not having an opinion on anything for just one day. Bet you can’t do it. It’s very hard and requires a diligent conscious effort for quite a period of time before it becomes a habit. I’ve worked at it myself and I now often have people ask me for an opinion and when I say I don’t have one they give me the most incredulous look. They don’t understand how I can’t have an opinion on a topic. They literally don’t believe me because they’ve never experienced it for themselves.

Again, absolutely. I’d be content without all the opinions and facts only. People as a whole and in general simply aren’t capable of doing it.

Try it sometime. Just as a personal experiment. Try not having an opinion on anything for just one day. Bet you can’t do it. It’s very hard and requires a diligent conscious effort for quite a period of time before it becomes a habit. I’ve worked at it myself and I now often have people ask me for an opinion and when I say I don’t have one they give me the most incredulous look. They don’t understand how I can’t have an opinion on a topic. They literally don’t believe me because they’ve never experienced it for themselves.

When it comes to investing, you can be factual and wrong. If facts were all that mattered, we’d all be billionaires.

Note this is behind a paywall, but if you look around -- and it is well worth it -- the full piece can be found on reddit and prob elsewhere.
This is the most accurate look at the current state of play for EVs generally and the the market for them and where it is headed including what Tesla’s pricing strategy is doing to the big picture. And just for fun it totally dismantles the recent Chicago Ice FUD and explains the real origins of FUD as well as the fact that FUD continues to coast along because of those origins, but that the cars themselves are fixing that. Quite a piece. WSJ editorial pages are pro ICE BS but not Dan Neil.
Refreshingly honest article. Surprisingly I got to read it, not that I'm a big fan of WSJ; they must have 'opened the doors' (dropped the paywall) thinking they'd get new subscriptions!

FWIW I never would have suggested Tesla or anyone ever buy bitcoin. But I'd totally suggest they accept it as a form of payment (because they could sell it for USD easily).

Put a surcharge on it or post their own exchange rate (which has the same effect) much as Bitpay has their own exchange rate for their accounts and debit cards.

I've got a coin set aside for buying a car or two from Tesla and would gladly pay a surcharge to Tesla to avoid having to deal with a 3rd party exchange.

and for those that need it spelled out, I never bought bitcoin, I created it at the cost of electricity back in the day when it was worth much less.

Last edited:

That's just your opinion.

. Every one has access to the same facts. It’s what they mean that is the bone of contention
I disagree about everybody having access to the same facts. I agree on your second statement.

Surfacing, Interpretation and projection is what I come here for to help direct my efforts.

And building an opinion on who provided useful insights by following their posts over time.

... share buybacks...
And a great signal that Tesla financial discipline has been outsourced to, say, Boeing./s
Well, perhaps Vaibhav Taneja wants to start his solo reign as CFO with "something different"? o_O

This will be the first earnings report with Zach Kirkhorn no longer around to "ease the transition". It worries me that Zach is gone.

Refreshingly honest article. Surprisingly I got to read it, not that I'm a big fan of WSJ; they must have 'opened the doors' (dropped the paywall) thinking they'd get new subscriptions!
It's not the WSJ that is honest. It's Dan Neil. He's long been the only guy you can believe who writes for the WSJ.

At today’s SP, it will cost Tesla $6 Billion to reduce share count by 1%. That’s a GigaFactory. Personally, I “ll take the GF.

At current FCF levels, Tesla’s SP would have to fall by a lot to make a buyback a worthwhile proposition.

Most proponents of a TSLA buyback are not trying to justify it by running the numbers. They are more hoping for a calming or psychological effect on markets. That says it all
I totally disagree.
Now if Tesla could magic a new gigafactory out of thin air by double clicking on a 'buy now' link for $6billion, theN I would agree. But building a gigafactory is not like buying a laptop on amazon.
It takes geopolitical negotiation, permits, planning, infrastructure, legal-nonsense of massive proportions, and needs to slot perfectly into the current ecosystem of existing factories. There are now hundreds of vacant lots with everything Tesla needs waiting for them to add a gigafactory to their checkout basket.

There is a limit to how fast you can grow a company, ESPECIALLY a physical-capital-intensive one like Tesla. We are fortunate to be shareholders of a company that literally generates profit faster than they can spend it.

Bulls on here are constantly telling us all the SP is too low and the company is an obvious BUY at these prices. Why is it the Tesla board of directors cannot see this? What return on investment are they currently getting for $26billion?

Buybacks are a total loss for Tesla.

Directly, yes. But at some point if the anti-Tesla, anti-EV FUD campaign begins to limit the 'd' word (don't wake the cat) then some spend of shutting down the shortzes buys more sales. So indirectly, no. ;)

phrase-meaning-undecided

Another Cybertruck towing video

TLDW: 65 mph towing a huge camper 1200 Wh/mi, at 55 mph 935 Wh/mi, and just the Cybertruck Cyberbeast 386 Wh/mi

Another tester towing a Model 3 in a car trailer got 749 Wh/mi

The most impressive of this all is the Semi, that gets 1700 to 2000 Wh/mi being much bigger in frontal area and almost an order of magnitude heavier

Towing needs an aero revolution since right now is basically bricks being dragged into the wind, hopefully we will see some companies putting the engineering effort on that, there might be a big enough market for Cybertruck specifically design trailers