Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting bit of news although not directly Tesla related, Ethiopia is banning the imports of ICE vehicles and vows to build out a charging infrastructure.

Primarily motivated by not wanting to spend billions on the imports of oil but nevertheless a good sign that Africa might be able to leap frog into a green future.

Do you remember the S&P 500 inclusion day, Dec 19, 2020? Over 200M shares traded in the Closing Cross alone that day, primarily bought by passive index funds. If TSLA is removed from the NDX, then those funds will sell all their TSLA.
Yeah, I participated that day with my own Market On the Close traded at $695.00 (pre-3:1-split) up nearly 4% from opening, so not too different from the up/downs of other days or even within a day. At least the inclusion event was well known to attract liquidity, and presumably a removal would similarly bring together buyers and sellers. Or are you more getting if S&P500 index funds had to sell their shares, there would be more liquidity in general with those shares no longer held by passive funds, so is effectively more shares available a concern for long-term shareholders?

Tesla does badly on ESG, just as several oil companies do well
Right, and if S&P500 index fund managers are voting more for ESG and not board recommendations, is it then better for long-term shareholders who agree with the board to actually prefer reducing the shares and voting power of these potentially biased passive index funds? Because these passive funds primarily care about matching the index, they don't really worry about any individual company/holding doing better or worse, so that might even empower them to vote against the board.

Last edited:
Interesting bit of news although not directly Tesla related, Ethiopia is banning the imports of ICE vehicles and vows to build out a charging infrastructure.

Primarily motivated by not wanting to spend billions on the imports of oil but nevertheless a good sign that Africa might be able to leap frog into a green future.

I think Africa will do the same as with telecommunications: skip investing in the old technology (phone land lines) and go directly to the new technology (cell phones), made affordable by the volume that the rest of the world already consumed. In this case: solar power and EV’s, eliminating the need for buying and transporting oil products.

I think Africa will do the same as with telecommunications: skip investing in the old technology (phone land lines) and go directly to the new technology (cell phones), made affordable by the volume that the rest of the world already consumed. In this case: solar power and EV’s, eliminating the need for buying and transporting oil products.
The only reason a country would do otherwise is if those in power have a vested interest in oil products. This won't work out well for those countries.

Wait the story about Ethiopia can't be true, or maybe Ethiopia will be an outlier. Goldman Sachs just published a study where rest of the world (outside of China, EU, US) EV sales will only reach 60% in 2040.

(And China EV sales penetration will be about 65% in 2040)
The only reason a country would do otherwise is if those in power have a vested interest in oil products. This won't work out well for those countries.

IT is factually impossible to have 'flat growth'. Part of your repeated incorrect observations is typified by this one: 'flat' means 'absence of change' in this context so the word 'growth' should not appear.
Actchually...
You can have flat growth such that dgrowth/dt = constant
20% growth every year is flat growth
Flat performance is zero growth

As used, the phrase makes sense in a lower-than-previously-years-yet-still-positive growth.

That would mean I could take advantage of my RN107380619 placed in April. 1, 2016.
It was and still is not a joke. I’ve kept it expecting eventually it could be used. I still want my Tesla! After all they accepted it for delivery to Brazil.
It's kind of funny that your long standing reservation from 2016 now likely yields you a Model 3 Highland since the wait has been so long that they've already refreshed it!

Last edited:
Sorry, but this really seems stupid to me...🤷‍♂️

Before / After:
1706891416216.png

I understand the left better with the icons vs larger text...

That would mean I could take advantage of my RN107380619 placed in April. 1, 2016.
It was and still is not a joke. I’ve kept it expecting eventually it could be used. I still want my Tesla! After all they accepted it for delivery to Brazil.
If you need someone to accompany you during delivery to check things out, I might be available for helping with that 😄

Precision is in a close relationship to size. Big robots don't just introduce big forces, they are typically more precise at the same time. It's the same with Machine shops.

So Optimus can be precise to a degree (and super consistent), but if we're lining up stuff with laser precision, especially when handing any sizable mass, I don't think it would have anywhere near the precision as a Kuka. Just my take anyway.
Having set up large robot assembly myself I tend to agree with this statement. In many large robot assembly/automation cells the robot itself is a small percentage (20-30%) of the cost. Typically there is a lot of other equipment to do the feeding, precision location and the actual process. (welding, sealing, etc.) In these systems, the robot is actually the easy part.

Although there could be a few places where Optimus replaces an industrial robot I don't see this happening everywhere. The jobs are large scale and require solid anchoring to the floor and very specialized tools and equipment which are most of the cost. The majority of the cost is the process equipment, not the robot so trying to substitute a human like robot would not really save any cost.

There are plenty of human jobs where Optimus can be plugged in easily. The beauty of Optimus is the flexibility. There are many many jobs where humans are much better than automation because they are completely flexible. The parts being handled may not lend them self to automation (think wiring, hoses, flufferbot, etc.). Also there are many jobs where setting up the automatic feed systems to get the part to the job would far exceed the cost of a human which is completely flexible to walk over and grab the right part from a box or tote. This is the main use case for Optimus in the factory. I don't believe you are going to see a wholesale removal of the industrial robots in the factory.