Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since every manufacturer decided to switch to NACS, this will become the defacto solution for all hotels across North America. đź‘Ť
Doesn't Tesla make the only universal L2 charger supporting both NACS and J1772? This is a huge competitive advantage in the L2 market.

I'd really like to see Tesla "charge" forward in rolling out L2 everywhere. But right now, I'm not seeing Tesla take the lead on this. Maybe too many irons in the fire. But it's really important for the mission and there is a lot of money to be made.

What happened to those folks insisting the next gen car would be paintless like the CT?🤣

Bits of the Cybertruck are painted - presumably for protection as they're hidden. There seem to be at least 2 iterations of this as shown in GigaTexas Cybertruck tour videos.

So, while I don't know - my current guess is that Gen3 painting will be protective rather than structural with colour added to composite materials (dyed). Pure speculation based on thinking through production ease/speed aspects. Unless Tesla go Sono motors with all-around solar (unlikely).

• Informative
Reactions: Krugerrand
TDoesn't Tesla make the only universal L2 charger supporting both NACS and J1772? This is a huge competitive advantage in the L2 market.

I'd really like to see Tesla "charge" forward in rolling out L2 everywhere. But right now, I'm not seeing Tesla take the lead on this. Maybe too many irons in the fire. But it's really important for the mission and there is a lot of money to be made.
Tesla has its charging partners destination charging program, with payment management for 1c/kWh. It also already supports power-sharing and if it expands I expect them to add in dynamic power management into the shared mix as well.

Maybe they'll be more aggressive with it after the J3400 changeover.

Bits of the Cybertruck are painted - presumably for protection as they're hidden. There seem to be at least 2 iterations of this as shown in GigaTexas Cybertruck tour videos.

So, while I don't know - my current guess is that Gen3 painting will be protective rather than structural with colour added to composite materials (dyed). Pure speculation based on thinking through production ease/speed aspects. Unless Tesla go Sono motors with all-around solar (unlikely).
At least in the States, going with an unpainted “Model2” would seem to be a commercial risk, not sure consumers are ready for that. I suppose Tesla could offer as an option and see how the market responds. Otoh, it doesn’t seem to deter CT demand, although some people will coat or film.

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
China/BYD - I've heard that January is normally slow due to holidays, going back to villages/relatives, so perhaps not surprising. Strange that Geely have been reported to have grown in January vs December. Perhaps THEY are channel-stuffing?

As Tesla is direct with little physical inventory kept, it's more transparent. Others can buffer to a huge extent.

Also, Chinese/Hong Kong stock markets for Chinese car makers might start having some kind of effect on (especially) the smaller Chinese players. If this is true, there may be fewer competitors to Tesla in China.
China - Might be February holidays (this year or every year?)

Reactions: unk45
China - Might be February holidays (this year or every year?)
Chinese New Year is rather similar to US Thanksgiving and 4th of July combined. Many Chinese try to travel to their home, ancestral since some only go there on that celebration. Trains, planes and automobiles are moving everywhere but nearly all business, including factories is not operating, recently industrial companies have used that period to conduct maintenance, upgrades and renovations, including Tesla.

There are many people on the board who know this better than do I. My direct knowledge goes back so long that Hong Kong was a British colony and Macao a Portuguese colony. From what I know the present Lunar New Years events are much, much more spectacular than they were when I was there.

Please, those with present day knowledge, please correct any errors I have made.

I'll bite on the air resistance thing.
IMHO this is one of the best things about Elon, and one of the reasons I stay long TSLA. Its a different mindset.

If you look at the speed of robots, and ask 'why cant they go a bit quicker', then you are prompting for solutions that enable you to go 2%, 5%, 10% quicker. This is mediocrity.
If you look at the actual hard physical limits, and then work backwards, then you fundamentally change the expectations, but also very quickly find out what future roadblocks are. You avoid local maxima. (see also geofenced robotaxis).

Exaggerated example:
If you want to go high, and you ask people how to make the trampoline bigger, you get a bigger trampoline. If you say 'screw trampolines, what is preventing us getting escape velocity from earths gravity? Then (after a lot of work) you end up scrapping the trampoline factory and start building rockets.

Tesla/SpaceX/Neuralink/Boring are all asking if we need rockets, while the competition is tweaking their trampolines. Its why Ford lose $47k on every EV. They are wondering if they can make a handful more. Elons thinking in millions of units per model.

I'll bite on the air resistance thing.
IMHO this is one of the best things about Elon, and one of the reasons I stay long TSLA. Its a different mindset.

If you look at the speed of robots, and ask 'why cant they go a bit quicker', then you are prompting for solutions that enable you to go 2%, 5%, 10% quicker. This is mediocrity.
If you look at the actual hard physical limits, and then work backwards, then you fundamentally change the expectations, but also very quickly find out what future roadblocks are. You avoid local maxima. (see also geofenced robotaxis).

Exaggerated example:
If you want to go high, and you ask people how to make the trampoline bigger, you get a bigger trampoline. If you say 'screw trampolines, what is preventing us getting escape velocity from earths gravity? Then (after a lot of work) you end up scrapping the trampoline factory and start building rockets.

Tesla/SpaceX/Neuralink/Boring are all asking if we need rockets, while the competition is tweaking their trampolines. Its why Ford lose $47k on every EV. They are wondering if they can make a handful more. Elons thinking in millions of units per model.
IDRA GigaPress cooling was improved by Tesla - therefore speed & costs improved, possibly reliability. Certainly can influence IDRAs next iteration of model or upgrades to current - virtuous circle.

My understanding is that Tesla work with Tier 1-6 suppliers ie - cascade innovation down to lowest levels, leading to improvements in cost, speed of production and quality. Then Tesla can repeat learnings with other suppliers - hence reports/speculation of 6-12% cost reductions each year.

At least in the States, going with an unpainted “Model2” would seem to be a commercial risk, not sure consumers are ready for that. I suppose Tesla could offer as an option and see how the market responds. Otoh, it doesn’t seem to deter CT demand, although some people will coat or film.

My opinion is that there will be enough demand for "transport as a service" at the right price. I think the days of ego/prestige for car sales are over for many people (but not all). I think as you hit a younger/older demographic - cars don't matter very much (comparatively). Reliable, low-maintenance affordable transport is a big plus.

Edit: Tech inside is more premium than body outside to many.

Last edited:

Thanks and now I'm regretting posting as these are the authors
1707316805364.png

Tesla has its charging partners destination charging program, with payment management for 1c/kWh. It also already supports power-sharing and if it expands I expect them to add in dynamic power management into the shared mix as well.

Maybe they'll be more aggressive with it after the J3400 changeover.
@ItsNotAboutTheMoney I'm really interested in the 1c/kWh.

So Tesla gets a cut of the charging revenue? Where did you find that?

Reactions: Mike Ambler
@ItsNotAboutTheMoney I'm really interested in the 1c/kWh.

So Tesla gets a cut of the charging revenue? Where did you find that?

I read that as Tesla providing the service for 1c/kWh fee, which doesn't necessarily mean it is coming from the charging revenue. Granted, it has to come from somewhere. If the Partner is able to set their own rates it could be added in and may not impact their revenue.