Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@ItsNotAboutTheMoney I'm really interested in the 1c/kWh.

So Tesla gets a cut of the charging revenue? Where did you find that?
It was mentioned here by somebody who knew somebody who was looking into being a host.

Also in a Reddit Thread somebody commented about it
(A Reddit user krusebear wrote that they had worked with Tesla charging.)

I read that as Tesla providing the service for 1c/kWh fee, which doesn't necessarily mean it is coming from the charging revenue. Granted, it has to come from somewhere. If the Partner is able to set their own rates it could be added in and may not impact their revenue.
Yes, as I understand it, the Partner sets the price and then Tesla adds 1c/kWh on top.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: replicant
How many of those claiming 75% actually took one apart to see the real number- rather than just did what you did and parroted whatever they found on google?

I ask because the source I cited actually took the car apart to see the real number

I suspect many estimates are assuming typical ICE automakers where everything based on a "platform" shares a majority of parts.

Certainly, the Y and 3 do as well, it would make financial sense to do so where possible. But the other consideration is that Tesla constantly iterates for improvement. It wouldn't surprise me to find that they redesigned a part that performs the same function, and included it it the Y, hence less of the "same parts" between the two models... at least initially.

I suspect as they iterate on each, they will take improved parts originally introduced on the other model and roll them in to production where possible. Hence, I'd imagine the number of shared parts may increase over time, but I suspect there will always be a bit of leapfrogging between the two...

Last edited:
With Poland numbers, I guess this is definitive:
1707318632742.png

Nice start of the year, almost double January 2023 (which was at 9492).
I expect a lower March, last year with the price cuts it was off the charts. But with a start like this maybe Q1 won't look to bad YoY.

No. I long have railed against the black thumb especially, but these “response emojis” in general. I actively, wholeheartedly agree with your opinion.

This thread, and all discussion groups in general, are or should be centered about just that: discussion. Now, it is one thing to demonstrate affection toward another’s post - as Gertrude would have (or did) tell Ernest, “Hemingway, remarks aren’t literature” - but at least that demonstrates some kind of similarity of thought. On the other hand, to contradict another’s writing - not using words to express with what it is your disagreement lies - is vapidity in the extreme. To me, the use of a black thumb is to literature or the Art of the Word in general as a short-sale is to investing. They are not subsets of the greater part: they are antithetical. Nonetheless, I do not own TMC and these emojis are here to stay.
I don’t use them and only on the rarest occasion if ever have I used memes - and to see one used more than once is brutally numbing.

O tempora o morass.

If the reply is a banned topic (user is drawing us in) all we have is the down vote. I'm going to give the thumb down and go on but I'm not going to risk the wrath of a mod by replying.

Also if someone else has replied and risked the wrath, but didn't down vote, I'm giving the down vote to let other readers know to look for the follow up. I'm not going to bother to reply again, but I am going to mark the poor post that had questionable content.

I'm not saying every bad post needs 50+ down votes, but if it's at 0 and it's a bad post I'm down voting it. I may not have a reply to go with that down vote but I feel it's a service to the community to mark it.

Last edited:
With Poland numbers, I guess this is definitive:
View attachment 1016167
Nice start of the year, almost double January 2023 (which was at 9492).
I expect a lower March, last year with the price cuts it was off the charts. But with a start like this maybe Q1 won't look to bad YoY.

Last year januari deliveries were still in wave mode, i.e. very low the first month of the quarter. The wave is almost gone, but we would need 30K+ deliveries per month for a completely waveless quarter.
It’s promising that we’re halfway the quarter and there are still no inventory discounts.

Chinese New Year is rather similar to US Thanksgiving and 4th of July combined. Many Chinese try to travel to their home, ancestral since some only go there on that celebration. Trains, planes and automobiles are moving everywhere but nearly all business, including factories is not operating, recently industrial companies have used that period to conduct maintenance, upgrades and renovations, including Tesla.

There are many people on the board who know this better than do I. My direct knowledge goes back so long that Hong Kong was a British colony and Macao a Portuguese colony. From what I know the present Lunar New Years events are much, much more spectacular than they were when I was there.

Please, those with present day knowledge, please correct any errors I have made.
My understanding is that like everything and everyone else in the world, times are changing. Older generations that hold traditions near and dear continue, while the younger generation create their own culture and traditions. Who’s doing the maintenance and such at Tesla In Shanghai during this time? And didn’t Tesla actually work through most of this holiday one year? COVID year/s? Unless we think Tesla is sending a crew from the US or Europe or some such, some Chinese are deciding to forgo the holiday to work.

I suspect many estimates are assuming typical ICE automakers where everything based on a "platform" shares a majority of parts.

Certainly, the Y and 3 do as well, it would make financial sense to do so where possible. But the other consideration is that Tesla constantly iterates for improvement. It wouldn't surprise me to find that they redesigned a part that performs the same function, and included it it the Y, hence less of the "same parts" between the two models... at least initially.

I suspect as the iterate on each, they will take improved parts originally introduced on the other model and roll them in to production where possible. Hence, I'd imagine the number of shared parts may increase over time, but I suspect there will always be a bit of leapfrogging between the two...
Yes, iteration in manufacturing is a key aspect to consider in this comparison.
Note, I did not do any specific research in the subject, so what follows is simply my opinion based on things I read / heard over the years, and I could be wrong. Bearing this forewarning in mind, here is my expectation:

If one were to take apart and compare a very early Model Y out of Fremont with a Model 3 from the same time-frame and same factory, I would expect a lot of similar parts, shared design and components. However, over time as Tesla iterates and makes small changes weekly on every production line, things may start to diverge. Furthermore, Tesla introduced the mega casting on the Model Y starting in Giga-Shanghai, then Berlin and finally in Austin. The Model Y manufacturing has been optimized both over time and big leaps have been made when production started in new factories. Therefore, I would expect comparing the latest Model Y coming out of Austin with the latest Model 3 from Fremont would yield a lot more differences, much less common parts.

So, in conclusion it may very well be possible for both the 75% and 25% numbers to be accurate depending on the specific Model Y and Model 3 compared (with variable build dates and source factories).

It’s about that time again for a Tesla firing of the chafe WHILE continuing to hire people and expanding all locations. When was the last one? Before Covid if I recall correctly.

I also recall that the SP has always risen when Tesla has had a firing spree.

Neither here nor there, there’s always someone yelling ‘fire!’ when Tesla does this. And yet each time Tesla has, it’s better and stronger for it.

🥱

Last edited:
HUGE pet peeve of mine-

Long multiple paragraph posts, and all we get is one ambiguous emoji to choose from, blanketing the whole post, with no way to associate it with the part of the post we like or don't like. OMHO-

1- The pre-TMC revision emoji's from years back were much more expressive than the current ones
2- There should be a "?" emoji (= don't understand - unclear) the post) emojis to choose from.
3- How hard would it be for the TMC forum folks to let us select the emoji, and then select one (or two?) spots in the original post we are critiquing, so other viewers may open the list of member's reactions, hover over one of the member's reactions to highlight where in the critiqued post that member selected for their chosen emoji to apply? Or possibly hover the original post itself to view places in any post that other members applied emoji reactions.

IMHO, these would be very useful; if I compile enough inputs, I will forward these thoughts to the TMC folks for what it's worth.

Give the emoji's the power of more decisive, crisp meaning to save having to make so many replies, which, by the way, have totally gotten out of hand in this forum IMHO.

Last edited:
HUGE pet peeve of mine-

Long multiple paragraph posts, and all we get is one ambiguous emoji to choose from, with no way to associate it with the part of the post we like or don't like.

1- The pre-TMC revision emoji's from years back were much more expressive than the current ones
2- There should be a "?" emoji (= don't understand - unclear) the post) emojis to choose from.
3- How hard would it be for the TMC forum folks to let us select the emoji, and then select one or two spots in the original post we are critiquing, so other viewers may open the list of member's reactions, hover over one of them, and see where in the critiqued post that member selected for their chosen emoji to apply? Or possibly hover the original post to find places that other members applied emoji reactions.

IMHO, these would be very useful; if I compile enough inputs, I will forward these thoughts to the TMC folks for what it's worth.
Clown emoji hits different. Highly recommended to make people think “Am I a Bozo?”

If the reply is a banned topic (user is drawing us in) all we have is the down vote. I'm going to give the thumb down and go on but I'm not going to risk the wrath of a mod by replying.

Also if someone else has replied and risked the wrath, but didn't down vote, I'm giving the down vote to let other readers know to look for the follow up. I'm not going to bother to reply again, but I am going to mark the poor post that had questionable content.

I'm not saying every bad post needs 50+ down votes, but if it's at 0 and it's a bad post I'm down voting it. I may not have a reply to go with that down vote but I feel it's a service to the community to mark it.
It's a question of TMC forum utility, how the up/down/and other votes are applied.

Is there a way to choose any post and see the list of replying posts ; essentially reformatting with a selected post followed by all the replying posts?

OR - is any of this available in a TMC APP? I view TMC in my Android phone, windows/Chrome, and my Iphone Safari browser; am I the only one not using the APP?

Surely there's no need to reinvent the wheel to fill in the tech gaps that even a Technological neanderthal like myself thinks obvious.

• Love
Reactions: wipster
My understanding is that like everything and everyone else in the world, times are changing. Older generations that hold traditions near and dear continue, while the younger generation create their own culture and traditions. Who’s doing the maintenance and such at Tesla In Shanghai during this time? And didn’t Tesla actually work through most of this holiday one year? COVID year/s? Unless we think Tesla is sending a crew from the US or Europe or some such, some Chinese are deciding to forgo the holiday to work.
In context several categories of workers have long been supporting continuing activities during the festivities. Those include almost everyone in air, rail and ground transportation, hospitality industry and, as i mentioned before major maintenance and upgrades to industrials. There are unusual cases, such as Tesla where quasi-normal production continues.

In short, in the modern world all business never ceases, despite major holidays. Not even in China.

Our friend Terranx is banned, no doubt he will reappear under a different guise spouting the same nonsense.
Do these people get paid to nag constant FUD? What's the pay? Do they score points somehow?
Or just nothing better to do and actually believe their trashy views? (Economist)
Maybe these jobs are not so "Critical" after all.