Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Encountered some delusional cybertruck FUD today, from the usual muppets who seem to exist in a world fuelled entirely by elon-hatred. Today I have read how the cybertruck is too heavy, it rusts, and it has bad range. I have also read derisive nonsense about neuralink. My god it is just so TIRING.
I also laughed hard through seekingalpha 'analysis' on how Ford is the better bet than Tesla for the EV future. Its like a comedy show!

• To keep focus on whats in the near future:
  • V12 FSD is going out to regular owners right now
  • Cybertrucks are being driven by people like lady gaga. Who needs advertising?
  • New compensation deal for Elon likely coming soon, then the company update talk?
  • Lucid and Rivian will announce catastrophically awful financial results tomorrow.
  • There are rumours about FSD China coming soon.
  • Tesla are hiring more ADAS staff for the UK, maybe FSD here soon?

Cybertrucks do kind of have sucky range for a truck though. I mean I love it. But anyone we know who was planning on buying it as a truck is not going thru with it. It’s not really any worse or better for range than any other EV truck. But 250 miles or so or 125 ish towing, and slow charging, is a huge disappointment for lots of people and some are expressing that. Can’t blame them for that.

They have also gone radio silent on the range extender battery so not sure if that will even be an option.

I’m sure they will still sell lots. But it’s going to be more of a driveway ornament than a truck. Not that I wouldn’t put one of those ornaments in my driveway if it was a freebie. 😊Love the look.

Jmho.

It's pretty clear that if you are encountering an ever-increasing amount of FUD, you definitely need advertising to get the word out.

Maybe it isn't so clear to you how advertising could be useful ammunition for the FUDsters?

There is a reason The Boy Who Cried Wolf is such a great story with a lasting lesson.

The more the FUDsters cry wolf, and Tesla does nothing in response other than business as usual, the sooner people will see the perpetrators of FUD for what they are.

This is already happening, demonstrated by the Model Y claiming the title of Best Selling Car in the World despite what may be the largest worldwide FUD campaign ever waged against a single company.

Only after you start defending yourself will a casual observer be offered the opportunity to choose between two sides. Prior to that moment all they can do is form a judgement about the one crying wolf. When they see their friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc. buying Tesla cars in the face of the FUD what does that tell them?

Besides, advertising is a waste of resources when a company is moving every product they make as quickly as they can be delivered.

Nor is advertising necessary for a product with reservation holders enough to buy years into future production, for a vehicle that is drawing huge crowds while on world tour to places it may never even be sold.

Only after production is exceeding demand (after the competition comes...) could advertising be helpful. By then the FUD will have left the building, along with Elvis.

Cybertrucks do kind of have sucky range for a truck though. I mean I love it. But anyone we know who was planning on buying it as a truck is not going thru with it. It’s not really any worse or better for range than any other EV truck. But 250 miles or so or 125 ish towing, and slow charging, is a huge disappointment for lots of people and some are expressing that. Can’t blame them for that.

They have also gone radio silent on the range extender battery so not sure if that will even be an option.

I’m sure they will still sell lots. But it’s going to be more of a driveway ornament than a truck. Not that I wouldn’t put one of those ornaments in my driveway if it was a freebie. 😊Love the look.

Jmho.
disagree
The range on all 3 trims has not changed since 2019 reveal. In fact, I think its gone up a little. Its not the range they are disappointed with. If they are disappointed with the range now, they probably never have considered buying one.

Its the price they dont like, and rightfully so.

Price is a function of supply vs demand. While supply is low as it is slowly ramping right now, prices may stay high if enough people want it and lets face it, Tesla doesnt seem to have a problem finding 50 buyers each day. Once supply ramps up, prices should ease to bring in more buyers.

Last edited:
disagree
The range on all 3 trims has not changed since 2019 reveal. In fact, I think its gone up a little. Its not the range they are disappointed with. If they are disappointed with the range now, they probably never have considered buying one.

Price is a function of supply vs demand. While supply is low as it is slowly ramping right now, prices may stay high if enough people want it and lets face it, Tesla doesnt seem to have a problem finding 50 buyers each day. Once supply ramps up, prices should ease to bring in more buyers.
Wasn't the performance trim Cybertruck spec'd at 500+ miles range at the reveal? They didn't say anything about a range extender battery taking up space in the bed and costing extra if I remember correctly.

Screenshot_20240220-234532.png

250? Where’d you get that number from? It’s 318 with All-T tires and 340 with All-S tires for the dual. Yes, I’ll get that under the same conditions I get mpg advertised for my gas truck.

The charging rate will be improved over time. Even so, most charging is done at home even here on The Mountain. I don’t mind slower charging because current charging is too fast for more than a quick run to and from a toilet. You used to be able to pitstop and have a sit down meal - can’t do that now. Takes some of the fun out of travel for folks like me who want to enjoy the journey as much as the destination.
What r u talking about? There was a clear reference to it when I placed my order.
I’m sure they will still sell lots. But it’s going to be more of a driveway ornament than a truck.
Not on my mountain. It’ll get used like a truck. Towing, hauling, trips to the city hours away, dressed up for the local parades, off-roading etc…

Currently the CT is being nitpicked by You-Tubers and other social media sorts looking for views and attention. It was reviewed for off-roading by someone who’d never off-roaded before.

Point being, wait for regular truck owners to actually own it and use it for more than a second before you believe what you read/see on the Internet. Wait for Tesla to do their usual OTAs over the next 6-12 months before deciding what it can or cannot do. Nobody goes out and buys the new Silverado, loads it up and hooks on a trailer pulling max rate, goes out on a really cold day in All-T tires and records how off the gas mileage was from the EPA rating - and yet, here we are.

disagree

Probably true for some...possibly true for many...but definitely not true for all.

The range has changed, specifically for those who *really* want the range (perhaps not so much for those who don't care about the range). My original CyberTruck reservation is for the tri-motor, not because I cared about the tri-motor or the greater towing rating or the faster 0-60, but because it was the version that had 500mi range listed at launch. With all due respect to the range extender add-on battery to be placed in the truck-bed, it is a very poor substitute for a true larger battery pack. So, while I will likely still purchase the CyberTruck when my number is called, I will be extremely unhappy about having to have a second battery in the truck bed to get the range I want.

<Side note: Yes, even when I'm not towing (which happens but is very rare), range is of primary importance to me. If there was an extra-large-battery version of the Model X that was anywhere close to 500 mi, I would trade in my 2023 Model X instantly. If there was a 500 mi Model S, that would be enough additional mileage over the Model X that I would possibly give up the Model X for that. I'm keeping an eye on the Roadster (2099???) to see if it has the promised range if it ever actually gets built. Yes, I can keep getting by with my current Teslas, putting hundreds of thousands of miles on them even with their 320-340-ish ranges. But for my particular use cases, it's annoying to. Even for my upcoming road trip this weekend, which is nominally just under 300mi, the range just isn't enough for a no-charging-stop drive without driving slow enough to cause backups on major highways most of the distance. (7 years ago in my prior ICE car it was a no-stopping-for-gas drive every time.) Investor connection: As Tesla becomes demand-constrained across their existing vehicle lineup, they should strongly consider tapping the maybe-not-huge-but-definitely-not-0 segment who would pay more at high margin for larger batteries across the S3XY lineup.>

Wasn't the performance trim Cybertruck spec'd at 500+ miles range at the reveal? They didn't say anything about a range extender battery taking up space in the bed and costing extra if I remember correctly.

View attachment 1020341
"costing extra" is just a matter of perspective. The total price you pay for the beast + extender is the price you pay for the 500 miles. However high that is, its still a function of supply vs demand. Instead of thinking it costs extra, think Tesla made a lite version of the beast with less range but same performance and sell it for less money than the full range version.

Consider maybe you are under the impression that Tesla is trying to fleece its customers because the extra mile comes in in the form of an extra pack instead of just a bigger pack under the floorboard. Then ask yourself "would it be possible to squeeze 500 miles worth of battery under the floorboard?" Maybe the answer is no and thats why it needs to take up more space in the back.

"costing extra" is just a matter of perspective. The total price you pay for the beast + extender is the price you pay for the 500 miles. However high that is, its still a function of supply vs demand. Instead of thinking it costs extra, think Tesla made a lite version of the beast with less range but same performance and sell it for less money than the full range version.

Consider maybe you are under the impression that Tesla is trying to fleece its customers because the extra mile comes in in the form of an extra pack instead of just a bigger pack under the floorboard. Then ask yourself "would it be possible to squeeze 500 miles worth of battery under the floorboard?" Maybe the answer is no and thats why it needs to take up more space in the back.
I'm definitely not under the impression that Tesla is trying to fleece anyone with a poorer range spec than they advertised at the reveal. I use my trucks to haul firewood and such. A battery taking up room in the bed is not ideal. But not a huge concern for me since I don't plan to buy a Cybertruck. I'm glad it exists though. :)

I'm definitely not under the impression that Tesla is trying to fleece anyone with a poorer range spec than they advertised at the reveal. I use my trucks to haul firewood and such. A battery taking up room in the bed is not ideal. But not a huge concern for me since I don't plan to buy a Cybertruck. I'm glad it exists though. :)
Or maybe they just find through their order book that the 300-350 mile version is the one most sought after, therefore not worth their effort to make the 500 mile version right now which can complicate the ramp. Maybe the Cyberbeast version is a droided up dual-motor and not a watered down tri-motor. Maybe the extender is just another lever to pull in more orders for the beast and not their ultimate design for the 500 mile trim. Too many explanations and they all make perfect economical sense to me. As long as they can continue selling every truck they make, I see it as an absolute win from an investors perspective. When it becomes more profitable to add the 500 mile version to the mix, I trust that they will do so.

Last edited:
disagree

Yah I get that. Nothing wrong with making profit off of a high demand item. And I suspect at least initially the margin will not be great, which is kind of to be expected on a new model.

I wish there was more info on the extended battery though. I have been watching for but haven’t seen any new owners with real world numbers. Frankly the reduced storage in the box wouldn’t bother me as I’m sure I could still get a couple mountain bikes in there.

We still have our reservation but won’t go thru with it but admittedly partly for reasons not related to the cybertruck although the range was a disappointment for us as we tow…a lot. We’ll probably go back to plan A which was a model X (in a couple years). But by that time the version two ford lightning might be out. Who knows.

Still love that cybertruck though.

Jmho

Reactions: dl003
Probably true for some...possibly true for many...but definitely not true for all.

The range has changed, specifically for those who *really* want the range (perhaps not so much for those who don't care about the range). My original CyberTruck reservation is for the tri-motor, not because I cared about the tri-motor or the greater towing rating or the faster 0-60, but because it was the version that had 500mi range listed at launch. With all due respect to the range extender add-on battery to be placed in the truck-bed, it is a very poor substitute for a true larger battery pack. So, while I will likely still purchase the CyberTruck when my number is called, I will be extremely unhappy about having to have a second battery in the truck bed to get the range I want.

<Side note: Yes, even when I'm not towing (which happens but is very rare), range is of primary importance to me. If there was an extra-large-battery version of the Model X that was anywhere close to 500 mi, I would trade in my 2023 Model X instantly. If there was a 500 mi Model S, that would be enough additional mileage over the Model X that I would possibly give up the Model X for that. I'm keeping an eye on the Roadster (2099???) to see if it has the promised range if it ever actually gets built. Yes, I can keep getting by with my current Teslas, putting hundreds of thousands of miles on them even with their 320-340-ish ranges. But for my particular use cases, it's annoying to. Even for my upcoming road trip this weekend, which is nominally just under 300mi, the range just isn't enough for a no-charging-stop drive without driving slow enough to cause backups on major highways most of the distance. (7 years ago in my prior ICE car it was a no-stopping-for-gas drive every time.) Investor connection: As Tesla becomes demand-constrained across their existing vehicle lineup, they should strongly consider tapping the maybe-not-huge-but-definitely-not-0 segment who would pay more at high margin for larger batteries across the S3XY lineup.>
I’m also in the 500 mile range camp, while it’s not related to towing or huge road trips, a very common scenario when I was in Southern California is running multiple errands through the weekend, and then running out of range and having to charge near the end of the day, but waiting for the charge at home so we can go to a dinner event as well. Now in Texas, another use case is driving from Dallas to Austin. Of course the current configurations will get you there with no stopping but when you get there then you’ll have to charge to get back. The 500 mile range car would get me to Austin, I can drive around there and on the way back charge for a little bit .

And also distances in Texas are huge and towns are not actually that close so driving Dallas to Lubbock can be done with basically no stop in a regular car.

I would’ve definitely paid more for a longer range battery for the model X we have, I was hoping that someone would make a third-party battery or Tesla would make a substitute battery since it was from 2016, it was one of the removable battery packs.

Pure speculation, but is the current cyber truck battery just limited electronically while they do testing on the new battery form factor?

Or maybe they just find through their order book that the 300-350 mile version is the one most sought after, therefore not worth their effort to make the 500 mile version which can complicate the ramp. Maybe the Cyberbeast version is a droided up dual-motor and not a watered down tri-motor. As long as they can continue selling every truck they make, I see it as an absolute win from an investors perspective.
Not the droids I'm looking for, haha. I agree that from an investor perspective, when 4680 cell supply is limited, Tesla made the right choice. And they over delivered on some of the performance specs, so that's nice.

Reactions: dl003
250? Where’d you get that number from? It’s 318 with All-T tires and 340 with All-S tires for the dual. Yes, I’ll get that under the same conditions I get mpg advertised for my gas truck.

The charging rate will be improved over time. Even so, most charging is done at home even here on The Mountain. I don’t mind slower charging because current charging is too fast for more than a quick run to and from a toilet. You used to be able to pitstop and have a sit down meal - can’t do that now. Takes some of the fun out of travel for folks like me who want to enjoy the journey as much as the destination.

What r u talking about? There was a clear reference to it when I placed my order.

Not on my mountain. It’ll get used like a truck. Towing, hauling, trips to the city hours away, dressed up for the local parades, off-roading etc…

Currently the CT is being nitpicked by You-Tubers and other social media sorts looking for views and attention. It was reviewed for off-roading by someone who’d never off-roaded before.

Point being, wait for regular truck owners to actually own it and use it for more than a second before you believe what you read/see on the Internet. Wait for Tesla to do their usual OTAs over the next 6-12 months before deciding what it can or cannot do. Nobody goes out and buys the new Silverado, loads it up and hooks on a trailer pulling max rate, goes out on a really cold day in All-T tires and records how off the gas mileage was from the EPA rating - and yet, here we are.

Yah I get some of that. But I think the 318 refers to EPA range. I got the impression from some of the reviewers that real highway range was closer to 250 miles. Or maybe I misunderstood.

Re the extended range battery. That would work for us. But I haven’t seen any reviews from anyone that has one. The loss of storage wouldn’t bother us as the only the that would go back there is a couple mountain bikes and maybe a camping generator and some lawn chairs. You mentioned that it was in your configuration info? (Did I misunderstand that). So is it actually orderable now?

For partly non cybertruck related reasons we will probably let our reservation go but I’m still interested. Price etc.

Cheers.

Or maybe they just find through their order book that the 300-350 mile version is the one most sought after, therefore not worth their effort to make the 500 mile version right now which can complicate the ramp. Maybe the Cyberbeast version is a droided up dual-motor and not a watered down tri-motor. Maybe the extender is just another lever to pull in more orders for the beast and not their ultimate design for the 500 mile trim. Too many explanations and they all make perfect economical sense to me. As long as they can continue selling every truck they make, I see it as an absolute win from an investors perspective. When it becomes more profitable to add the 500 mile version to the mix, I trust that they will do so.
I believe Musk revealed the order preferences on twitter a few weeks after the reveal and found that the lowest interest was the RWD 250mi ver, the AWD 300mi ver had the most orders but just slightly more than the 500mi version. People really want AWD.

The 500mi version would be the most popular but the price was substantially higher. We also don't know if the 500mi version had any compromises like a smaller bed or a smaller cabin. People just assumed it'll be the same as the others. The part people are most bitter about is that the price of the 300mi version became the 500mi version, so people feel like Tesla under-delivered. The extra 50mi vs the og 300mi ver wasn't enough to make people happy. Inflation however is a biatch.

This all makes sense.

...But for my particular use cases, it's annoying to. Even for my upcoming road trip this weekend, which is nominally just under 300mi, the range just isn't enough for a no-charging-stop drive without driving slow enough to cause backups on major highways most of the distance. (7 years ago in my prior ICE car it was a no-stopping-for-...
This doesn't make any sense - drive as fast as you want and take one bathroom break once in your trip is giving you an issue ? You'd be going to the bathroom on arrival anyway while parked.

Three points on the cybertruck range.
  • The cybertruck range today is the worst performing it will be. Better software/battery chemistry may come. It will certainly never get worse.
  • The supercharger network today is the worst it will be. It will only expand and become more ubiquitous, reducing range anxiety considerably.
  • Charging speeds today are the worst they will be too. They can only get better,
There are definitely people in rural areas, with not many charging options, who may be nervous about CT range. That becomes less of an issue every day, as more chargers get added, and are noticed by potential customers.