Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Almost didn’t want to post this one: I resent very much the cheap phrase “…. killer”.
But too interesting not to bring it to our attention.

Yet unknown how this will compare with Tesla’s Model 2.
Most likely not anywhere as innovative.
But together with the Model 2 this pretty much will mean the end of a lot of old auto.

BYD is not making money on these. They are being that China Wok #1 which killed the pricing power of Chinese food vs any other cuisine type, now being cheaper than MCD.

Hence this is why they are not interested in the US market most likely because people here are not interested in slow low quality cars.

All the cool kids are talking about the new BYD and the potential model 2, but not enough people are talking about Vans, Taxis and Semi Trucks. When it comes to reducing emissions, its worth focusing on the vehicles that are in constant use. I don't even do 10,000 miles a year, and me swapping from ICE to EV is great, but its a rounding error compared to a taxi driver or someone doing deliveries all day or long haul trucking.

I think its good that Tesla launched the Cybertruck, because they are (weirdly) so popular in their home country, and home state, but in the wider world, Tesla needs to get semi production up and running at scale, and for-the-love-of-god can we get a Tesla van?
Vans are mostly utilitarian, used for work everywhere in Europe where US users would have a pickup. We badly need an affordable, reliable and popular electric van. GigaBerlin would be the perfect place. Europe loves vans! and if the model Y is not enough to fill up GigaBerlin, lets get some vans made!

The bot, FSD, Dojo are all cool. I'd love to see some cybertrucks in Europe, and obviously I'm keen to see the model 2 reveal. But what I REALLY want to see as an investor is Tesla reveal their Tesla Van, or the first mass-production semi's roll off the line. Do we think the semi line will be producing vehicles this year? It feels like Tesla should be building a semi factory/line in China and Europe at the same time. Its not like they are short of capital.

Hail Hydra(gen):

Toyota Drops Mirai Price to $12K - Autoline Daily 3755 (3 hrs ago)

That's a $40K incentive from Toyota, plus a $16K credit good for 6 years. But with Shell closing it's California hydrogen fueling stations, where do you fuel it?
Maybe something like this?
How to Convert Water Into Fuel by Building a DIY Oxyhydrogen Generator

But alas:
This system was not designed for use in a vehicle, but more as a device to demonstrate the electrolysis of water and what the gas can do.

So getting the hydrogen into the car requires some new ideas on your own.

But hey, it's a $12,000 car. You want to be able to fuel it as well?

Some BYD seagull specs:
190 mi range (new version is higher)
Top speed: 81 mph
0-62mph 13.0 s
74 horsepower.
Top charge speed: 40kw.

This is not a car that Tesla has to worry about. If Tesla's model 2 does not beat every single one of those specs by miles I will be amazed. Plus it will undoubtably have the FSD chip, 8 cameras, supercharger-network integration, over-the-air updates, and a decent infotainment system. I can't see the seagull being a big seller outside Asia with specs like that (although it can still no doubt sell very well IN china/India).

Hail Hydra(gen):

Toyota Drops Mirai Price to $12K - Autoline Daily 3755 (3 hrs ago)

That's a $40K incentive from Toyota, plus a $16K credit good for 6 years. But with Shell closing it's California hydrogen fueling stations, where do you fuel it?

No thanks, has anyone priced Hydrogen? $196.56 to refill a Honda Clarity.

R$ 100k = US$ 20k. And 75 EV hp are a lot quicker than 75 ICE hp.
Thx, corrected my post. Google error this time. Wow.

1708982460599.png

Last edited:
All the cool kids are talking about the new BYD and the potential model 2, but not enough people are talking about Vans, Taxis and Semi Trucks. When it comes to reducing emissions, its worth focusing on the vehicles that are in constant use. I don't even do 10,000 miles a year, and me swapping from ICE to EV is great, but its a rounding error compared to a taxi driver or someone doing deliveries all day or long haul trucking.
To be a success the Semi should last around 3-4 million miles. No less than 2 million miles. This takes a lot of testing or it will flop. In semi-land tires last up to 350,000 miles on the original tread and the casing has around 500,000 miles of life in it. Engines get rebuilt around 500,000 miles. Doing it right is better than doing it quickly.

Lol, does that include the 400 mile round trip to the nearest filling station? And is the tank empty again when you get home? Hydrogen isn't just a dead end, it's a road to ruin.
But...but ..I see at least 4-5 "articles" a week touting Hydrogen cars as the next thing??

Some BYD seagull specs:
190 mi range (new version is higher)
Top speed: 81 mph
0-62mph 13.0 s
74 horsepower.
Top charge speed: 40kw.

This is not a car that Tesla has to worry about. If Tesla's model 2 does not beat every single one of those specs by miles I will be amazed. Plus it will undoubtably have the FSD chip, 8 cameras, supercharger-network integration, over-the-air updates, and a decent infotainment system. I can't see the seagull being a big seller outside Asia with specs like that (although it can still no doubt sell very well IN china/India).

This translates in:
305 km range (new version is higher)
Top speed: 130 km/h
If it costs 18'500 € without incentives, it could easily costs around 10'000 euro with incentives.
Quite a good deal if you ask me: quality/price will be hard to beat by Tesla (meaning that Tesla will easily beat the specs, but not the price).

I think its good that Tesla launched the Cybertruck, because they are (weirdly) so popular in their home country, and home state, but in the wider world, Tesla needs to get semi production up and running at scale, and for-the-love-of-god can we get a Tesla van?
Vans are mostly utilitarian, used for work everywhere in Europe where US users would have a pickup. We badly need an affordable, reliable and popular electric van. GigaBerlin would be the perfect place. Europe loves vans! and if the model Y is not enough to fill up GigaBerlin, lets get some vans made!

The bot, FSD, Dojo are all cool. I'd love to see some cybertrucks in Europe, and obviously I'm keen to see the model 2 reveal. But what I REALLY want to see as an investor is Tesla reveal their Tesla Van, or the first mass-production semi's roll off the line. Do we think the semi line will be producing vehicles this year? It feels like Tesla should be building a semi factory/line in China and Europe at the same time. Its not like they are short of capital.
Funny you mention it, I was visited by a Walmart deliver van today, even took a pic. 100% electric.

Driver said, quoting:
1. Doesn't go very far. Only 140 mile range, and so I have to plug in for lunch.
2. But it’s really quick!

Maybe if it wasn't so “quick”, she’d get more range… :p

Attachments

• IMG_7150.jpeg
    IMG_7150.jpeg
    473.8 KB · Views: 15
Funny you mention it, I was visited by a Walmart deliver van today, even took a pic. 100% electric.

Driver said, quoting:
1. Doesn't go very far. Only 140 mile range, and so I have to plug in for lunch.

E-Transit.

Apparently in the next gen (2026) Ford will have a long-range version with 186 miles of range. (Coincidentally 300km).

75 hp... can it go uphill?
Edit - corrected… R$100K = US$20K

Maybe lol, 130 km/h top speed also, enough but a bit more would be good for emergency situations

If my math is right, it can only maintain top speed up to a 6% grade, I know some roads I travel which would be a not so pleasing experience with a bunch of trucks around, you in a tiny car and not being able to go past them

To be a success the Semi should last around 3-4 million miles. No less than 2 million miles. This takes a lot of testing or it will flop. In semi-land tires last up to 350,000 miles on the original tread and the casing has around 500,000 miles of life in it. Engines get rebuilt around 500,000 miles. Doing it right is better than doing it quickly.
Given the fuel and maintenance savings, can the Semi be competitive even if it has a shorter service life?
ICE: $0.50/mile (8 MPG, $4.00 gal)
EV: $0.33/mile (2kWh/ mile @ $16.5 kWh)
$0.17/mile savings
500k miles * 0.17 = $85k
500k/20k oil change * $200 = $5k
$90k savings at 500k
In frame rebuild: $15k
$105k savings per additional 500k
$195k savings at 1 million miles
$405k saved at 2 million miles (3 rebuilds)

Wear items:
1MWh pack < $100k
Three motors < $20k

R$ 100k = US$ 20k. And 75 EV hp are a lot quicker than 75 ICE hp.

Definitely, when I test drove the regular Dolphin with just 94 hp, it was surprisingly fast off the line, and since it was a few minutes before the GWM Ora GT test drive, I can say it was the quickest accelerating car I had ever driven, even though the 0-100 km/h is 10.9s due to the lack of power, but torque is plenty

Sadly I haven't managed to try any on the highway yet

Driver said, quoting:

Our post-man got his Nissan BEV back, which I'm happy about, and the neighbour's weekly "Hello Fresh" grocery delivery is with a BEV van too