Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think 4680s are mainly reserved for Cybertruck and the Gen3 car.

I am wondering where they will get cells for more Models Ys and the Semi.

What I am looking at is the new outbound logistics lot in Austin, the urgency attached to that project, and the new car park. The new lot is at least double the size of the old temporary lot, and I think it will get even bigger.

I think we will also find that outbound logistics at Berlin looks different to what it did a year ago.

I assume the 2170s for more Model Ys at Berlin came from China..

I don't expect 4680 issues to impact on the Cybertruck ramp or the Gen3 car, last we heard from Drew he also thought they would keep pace.

If they have excess 4680s they might build some Model Ys with 4680s, but nothing Drew has said indicates that will happen,.

And I am also thinking about the mission and the target of 20 million vehicles per year by 2030, 4680s are a big part of that... If the 4680 project was going really badly I think Elon would be less optimistic about hitting the 2030 target... It does probably remain an area where they will need to work hard to hit the target, but it doesn't seem like the target is impossible
A year or two ago Petit did a USA/Europe battery plant analysis, more thorough than what I'd done. Battery capacity will be with us to support plenty of needs if minerals are available. The 4680 capacity though seems to be 2026 at best from what I recall. Based on the issues ramping 4680 I'd be careful in modeling, I'd put some very very low expectations on output. On 4680 projections I find it helpful to go back and read about LGs and Panosonics timelines on 4680s. Turns out they were good solid estimates and in both cases I think it was 2026 before large production.

• Informative
Reactions: Thekiwi and GOVA
I can't seem to find the post or the account. Has it been removed/closed?
Speculation over on the Autopilot v12 thread is that, especially after the reply from Musk, her account got a massive amount of views/attention (her clip had over 1.2M views) and something (creepy X user?) bugged her to the point where she had to remove her account from public status.

The account still exists.

It’s not any stranger than you calling her method junk, when she is only one of two analysts that got the outcome correct.

It’s not any stranger than you supporting your own method, a copy of every other analyst, all wrong in their method AND in the outcome.

How about you come up with the method that gets to the correct answer? Be the person on the planet who gets it right from start to finish.

Again with the personal attacks merely for pointing out facts. In fact, it's mostly a bunch of gibberish you seem to have made up. Very strange.

Cathie's non-TSLA track record is horrendous. Probably the worst active fund manager of the last 5-10 years. Now, does she understand Tesla better than all other fund managers? Or did she merely get lucky? A blind squirrel and such.

Again, I don't know why I have to keep saying this, I'm not disputing that Tesla did once hit a price target she called for. As myself and others have pointed out, the models Ark publishes as the basis for their price targets are absolute crap. You can't dispute it now that we have some actual results coming in for those years.

The Tesla share price may yet get to $1,500 next year like she predicted, I don't know. Your money is your money, do what you want with it, follow who you want. What the rest of us having been pointing out is that her track record outside of Tesla is bad, her models for her Tesla price targets are pure fantasy and nowhere near actual results so far, and she's not getting anywhere near the absurd returns she predicted for her funds (40% CAGR, new NASDAQ, etc.). Given all that, it's probably wise to take what she says with enough table salt to build a lithium refinery.

Given we had a back and forth yesterday where you didn't want to discuss any of it, went all "stock price bro" on me, and made up personal attacks about me (again, just very strange, but you do you), it's obvious this line of discussion isn't going anywhere. No need to continue further (imo) as I've laid out plenty of facts.

Have a good one today. Cheers.

I read some comments from friends recently casting doubt on the popularity of the cybertruck because they had not seen one in the wild yet. The state of 'research' of the average retail investor is staggeringly bad.
This is why cynical companies pre-seed New York with their products early, hoping wall st types 'see the product everywhere'. Fortunately Tesla is not run this way...

I definitely know people who thought my model S was some weird foreign thing, and experimental, and not something anyone but me would ever risk buying. Those same people recently chatted to me over coffee when my model Y was one of 4 Tesla's just in the cafe car park. They think differently about them now...

In other words, we may look at the stock price and go 'wtf? but CT ramp is going well, FSD12 looks awesome, semi soon, juniper soon...' but the average wall st analyst doesn't look at any of this. They haven't see a real CT yet. They think FSD is never going to improve. Juniper is a bush right? I hear BYD is bigger than Tesla right?

Patience! The slow-horses at wall st will eventually notice CTs on the roads, will talk to someone who has FSD, will see the jump in model Y interest after a refresh. Eventually there will be signs of construction in Mexico, there will be bot updates, dojo updates and some production-line-built semis. I doubt we see a big jump this quarter, but like I keep repeating, the CT ramp looks pretty good. Would love CT Q1 numbers, but will HODL regardless.

I read some comments from friends recently casting doubt on the popularity of the cybertruck because they had not seen one in the wild yet. The state of 'research' of the average retail investor is staggeringly bad.
This is why cynical companies pre-seed New York with their products early, hoping wall st types 'see the product everywhere'. Fortunately Tesla is not run this way...

I definitely know people who thought my model S was some weird foreign thing, and experimental, and not something anyone but me would ever risk buying. Those same people recently chatted to me over coffee when my model Y was one of 4 Tesla's just in the cafe car park. They think differently about them now...

In other words, we may look at the stock price and go 'wtf? but CT ramp is going well, FSD12 looks awesome, semi soon, juniper soon...' but the average wall st analyst doesn't look at any of this. They haven't see a real CT yet. They think FSD is never going to improve. Juniper is a bush right? I hear BYD is bigger than Tesla right?

Patience! The slow-horses at wall st will eventually notice CTs on the roads, will talk to someone who has FSD, will see the jump in model Y interest after a refresh. Eventually there will be signs of construction in Mexico, there will be bot updates, dojo updates and some production-line-built semis. I doubt we see a big jump this quarter, but like I keep repeating, the CT ramp looks pretty good. Would love CT Q1 numbers, but will HODL regardless.
Well BYD is selling more cars than Tesla. FSD has taken much much longer than anyone was led to believe. There is a time value to money, I could see Tesla moving sideways til 2026. It may be a very good buy then if it has.

Well BYD is selling more cars than Tesla. FSD has taken much much longer than anyone was led to believe. There is a time value to money, I could see Tesla moving sideways til 2026. It may be a very good buy then if it has.
The thing is when you know it’s a very good time to buy . Won’t everyone know its a very good time to buy making it a bad time to buy?

Alexa is not profit making. No one has figured how to monetize an AI virtual assistant. The path to monetizing an AI robot is obviously much clearer and the motivation to keep it updated will be far stronger. Google, Amazon, Microsoft do not lack training resources. They also have the deep pockets to buy the best of breed AI robotics startups and invest heavily in manufacturing at scale.

I can see Tesla having a manufacturing and cost advantage; They already know how to make stuff at scale. However it is unlikely to be a large or decisive advantage like it has been in autos. Everyone is starting from scratch; no one has decades of ingrained thinking to slow them down like incumbent auto did and assembling robots is far less complex than assembling cars.
The second sentence is factually incorrect. Just in one case SRI developed Siri in their Artificial Intelligence Center and sold it to Apple for a handsome profit. As with nearly every software case, AI or not, YMMV. Some yield outstanding profits, some lose. The question usually depends on how something is ‘monetized’. Cost reduction, better operating efficiency, and many other factors can equate to ‘monetization’. By now we should know how advertising works on web-based activity, from browsing patterns, dwell time, direct purchasing data, etc. AI techniques are nearly ubiquitous in this arena and are generating positive economic results.

As usually is the case, simple generalizations are erroneous. Usually, not always.

That is why I marked ‘disagree’.

Last edited:
This is so painful. Anyone can guess where the bottom is? It seems that $170 will be broken soon.
Unless it meets “resistance” at 170 and turns around and goes to the moon. Or continues to “trade in a range”. Or breaks through “resistance” and continues to “test new lows”.

Am I doing this right? I think I’ve got all the bases covered.

Yes, selling more cars, at a fraction of Tesla's margin. So?

FSD has taken longer than anyone was led to believe? Feel free to search this forum for my post from October of 2014 (when AP1 first came out, of which my second Model S was one of the first to have any form of Autopilot) where I predicted it would take at least 10 years from that point at the very earliest. Anyone who thought it would come significantly sooner was severely underestimating the problem. And yes, that includes Elon.

Elon visited Giga Berlin today to speak to employees, production is running again. He reassured reporters who asked that the factory will be expanded to 1 million cars/year: "Yes, of course."

1710328654_tesla5.jpg

Attachments

• 1710328654_tesla5.jpg
    1710328654_tesla5.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

BYD? Margins? And some potential headwinds in Europe:

Reactions: capster