Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't worry, Elon has assured us this will be fixed by *checks notes*.... early 2019.

This is a huge issue. Unless you live in a major metro area, you have to really want a Tesla to deal with the distance from Service/Sales. Every damn small town in America has a Ford, GM and Toyota dealership. Living in the FL panhandle it's 2 hours west, or 5 hours east to the nearest sales/service center. Rivian won't even let me order a truck though.

only a couple of percent of their gas stations, but the transition is happening.

1710910815718.png

Interesting story - twins who live near a Tesla factory wrote a book about Tesla/dispelling EV myths. Anyone come across this book? Seems like pretty good marketing... Explain stuff in kids' language - maybe it can cut through some of the FUD... in any case, the next generation seems to love Tesla in my local experience.

The Roadster section of the interview hasn't been mentioned much:
From 15mins.
Elon has now several times said that the Roadster will be a colab. Not just the special edition is how I read it.

Also, will have wings (multiple) (not big). Which I read as lift rather than downforce in the context (maybe both if they swivel). I'm always optimistic...

My brother-in-law of 40 years just did the same to me. I can't believe he got to see one in the wild before I did.
AZRI11 ~ a week ago I saw one being prepped for release while going through the paperwork drill of picking up our new/third X: therefore, I could not claime I had not seen one in the wild. Though, technically, it was not yet released. Since it was inside the building; it was not seeing the light of day yet ~ just thought that statement was funny. Plus, they would not allow anyone within two hundred feet of the critter.

One of these days I’ll have the opportunity for an “out-of-“ experience ~ not just gawk from afar.

Cheers

New Tesla Semi customer. NOT any of the well known buyers like UPS, ANHEUSR BUSCH, WALMART, JBS, ETC...

This will be short "standard range" semis that are shorter and more maneuverable than long range. The market for short haul is large. SR Semi Does not require megachargers. SR has 2 battery packs instead of 3. Two packs are equivalent to 32 power walls.

The short haul market has many players, as it is fragmented "with the top five companies occupying 5.36%. The major players in this market are FedEx, Knight-Swift Transportation Holdings Inc., Landstar System Inc., Schneider National, Inc. and XPO, Inc. Other important companies include CMA CGM Group, DHL Group, PS Logistics, Ryder System, Inc., United Parcel Service of America, Inc. (UPS)."***

I would suppose it's likely one of these companies.

***Source: United States Short Haul Road Freight Transport Market Share
Whoah is this for real? I fantasize about Tesla keeping quiet about the semi and getting way ahead of projections. I assume this is another hand-built one though. AFAIK the actual semi production line is nowhere near built yet.
Amazingly we may now get real FSD before semi. madness!

Marcus Brownlee (the largest YouTube tech reviewer, that Tesla trusted with the initial cybertruck release) has released his first “living with” review of the cybertruck after a couple of weeks of using a dual motor founders edition that was lent to him.

A mostly positive review one could say, mostly raving about the vehicle tech, design & driving experience, but let down by some early build issues (the door gap is horrendous, no hub caps, no autopilot/FSD) and disappointing range.

This review was done on his auto focus channel, another review to come on his main channel which has a much bigger following, where he will be reviewing his own tri-motor cyberbeast.

A few notes before I relegate this topic to the ALL CyberTruck discussion thread.
The door striker issue is on Tesla, but it seens like an owner who really cared to fix it could have found the issue (hard to imagine it doesn't rattle) or at least requested a mobile service visit. It may have been a boiling pot situation where the gap kept slowly getting bigger as the bolts loosened so the worsening was less noticeable, but the end result was ick.
Marques didn't seem to have done much research before making the video.
The front screen is 18.5 inches, not "15".
The range extender will be around 600 pounds, "not thousands".
Hopefully, the review if his vehicle will address things.

lol - are people this deluded to think preannouncing price rises to occur after end of quarter is anything thier than a tactic to goose end of quarter sales??

I have no issue with the tactic, Tesla has thrown everything already this quarter to try and move cars, no harm throwing in the kitchen sink.
I don't think I'm deluded at all. The pre-announcement is indeed a tactic designed to goose sales this quarter. But the actual need to raise prices in China is probably real.

China EV sales are hitting the steep part of the S curve. Tesla probably realized that they won't be able to keep up with demand unless they raise prices.

Anyone who can say what this means for the ramp?

Each truck has 1360ish cells, so that's 1.4 million a week.
It was 4 months to go from from 10 million to 20 million cells (June to October). This puts them at a rate of 10 million cells in under 2 months. So they've double production in the last 5 months.
We don't have insight into how many lines are running, so it's hard to project growth moving forward, but if this is only Line 1&2, they have another doubling near term (100k trucks), and another by end of year (200k trucks) just from added line capacity. Efficiency improvements stack on top of that.

My cousin in Austin saw one yesterday. She lives right next to the airport, just a few miles from the Gigafactory, though.
I'm pretty happy with that progress. The latest quarterly update stated 250k target annual production capacity so we are already 20% of the way there and the cathode plant hasn't even started yet.

The Roadster section of the interview hasn't been mentioned much:
From 15mins.
Elon has now several times said that the Roadster will be a colab. Not just the special edition is how I read it.

Also, will have wings (multiple) (not big). Which I read as lift rather than downforce in the context (maybe both if they swivel). I'm always optimistic...
If the new Roadster is truly going to take flight, even briefly, I wouldn't expect anyone will be taking delivery on one for several years at the earliest.