Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So disappointing. The car tried to curb its tire! It should have honked for starters.
That brings up something I've often wondered:
- My Y has hever honked while on FSD...but I wonder if it is currently possible in the right situation for FSD to activate the horn, or if it might be planned for some future software version...

I also wonder if FSD has any access to microphones on/in the car, in a way that might (eventually) allow it to detect honking, sirens, etc. from other vehicles....

So, what’s the deal with this “Early Cybertruck Delivery for Long Term Shareholders” program? We are approaching a month since they announced it, and we have no idea what it even does due to how vague it is.

Is it for people who did not get an invite to configure? What about those who configured and are waiting for a VIN? No one knows! No one has even gotten confirmation emails yet.

I got sick of waiting for my Cyberbeast. Yesterday I changed my configuration to the AWD and got a VIN instantly. Tesla sure has a way with their lack of transparency
At least you got a VIN. I have a low RN for the truck (reserved on night of announcement), configured order for FS Dual Motor 1/31, submitted all the paperwork as a qualified shareholder and still no VIN. I blame my state since for some reason there have been ~0 Virginia deliveries.

Yeah some spaceX engineers came over to Tesla as well but that doesn't mean Tesla will start working on rockets.

The head of computer vision can work on many image/video AI applications. Google Lens for example require computer vision expertise.

Elon most likely believes vision for FSD is solved (or no longer require that guy to solve it) and now it's all about planning and control.

In situations like this, more important than if Elon believes it, is if the departing/tranferring employee believes it. If he was the head of Tesla's computer vision department, and he saw the problems as largely solved, he might be interested in the "next big thing" elsewhere...

Didn't some folks hint at something similar when Karpathy left Tesla? While FSD wasn't fully solved and implemented, perhaps Karpathy saw all the pieces finally in place and not needing his continued attention to progress down the right path. Maybe he saw that all the needed software/techniques/etc. were in place, and all that was needed was more data and more compute power...so it wouldn't be "interesting" for him to just sit back and monitor that. A year and a half later, Tesla's got enough compute power and FSD12 is working nicely...

Firstly, there tends to be a lot of crosstalk between engineers at various Elon companies. If there’s a synergy to be had, they will work together. Technologies will flow from one to the other.

Secondly, TSLA is mature from a valuation perspective. While you can easily imagine 10x from here based on business execution of FSD and Optimus, the return from a true startup like xAI is potentially way more lucrative.

Thirdly, the advent of AGI is probably a far more exciting thing to be working on than autonomous driving for AI nerds.

Fourthly, Tesla vehicles are obviously going to be integrated with Grok/AGI at some point, and it should be obvious from the Figure/OpenAI partnership how Optimus stands to benefit as well.

Fifthly, it shouldn’t take a genius to look at this shareholder base and all the nonsense that goes on, and realize you don’t want something as important as AGI happening here. Microsoft/OpenAI are already going to create that monster, and if some TSLA shareholders could have their way, we would too.

So, what’s the deal with this “Early Cybertruck Delivery for Long Term Shareholders” program? We are approaching a month since they announced it, and we have no idea what it even does due to how vague it is.

Is it for people who did not get an invite to configure? What about those who configured and are waiting for a VIN? No one knows! No one has even gotten confirmation emails yet.

I got sick of waiting for my Cyberbeast. Yesterday I changed my configuration to the AWD and got a VIN instantly. Tesla sure has a way with their lack of transparency
Got the email to confirm shares and replied to that. Back to all quiet for our already configured Cyberbeast.

It could be similar to Tesla opening the supercharger network:

One group of people will say Tesla is pushing the Mission forward and also collecting revenue from vehicles of their competitors.

Another group of people will say Tesla is giving (selling) it's own moat away to competitors...

It is extremely important for any serious TSLA investor to understand that the mission takes priority over all else, and “all else” may mean the piles and piles of cash you (general) dream of.

Some investors may view that as a “risk,” - that the company may make decisions that take into account more than just milking every last cent into their pockets - and if so, this is definitely not the stock for you.

If FSD is out of Beta and Optimus runs on the same perception stack...
Bobs gonna ask: "What is it you say you do here?"
Gotta post the gif man!

giphy.gif

Yes, but the fact they’re recessed and low so therefore prone to getting filled with slush (not mentioned in this review) is also the stuff that makes Tesla, Tesla - the California/Texas company.

This has the potential to be a significant problem here where we have a combination of few daylight hours combined with messy, slushy roads on a frequent basis. Less of a concern in town where it’s easy to find somewhere safe to pull over to clean them. Potentially quite dangerous on long stretches of highway, in the dark, in not great driving conditions with nowhere safe to easily pull over for many miles. That’s my primary style of driving so it is a concern for me. YMMV.

I’ll be looking for reports of how this plays out next winter before committing to fulfill my early reservation. Hopefully it’s a nothingburger like the centre screen, lack of driver’s binnacle, yoke, etc. all turned out to be.
Why does this notion that Tesla doesn’t consider cold climates persist? It is obvious that vehicles need to be designed for all possible environments, so obvious that you thought of it without even being a full time employee. Tesla has been doing extensive cold weather testing since the Roadster days. This was one of the main reasons they went down the path of OTA software updates decades ago. They would do tests on the mule in Scandinavia or wherever and then ship software updates from home base in California to enable faster iteration cycles. Also, Tesla recruits engineers from all over the nation and the world. It’s not like they’re all California natives who have never seen snow. I mean the CEO went to college in Canada. And Norway is one of Tesla’s biggest markets.

At least you got a VIN. I have a low RN for the truck (reserved on night of announcement), configured order for FS Dual Motor 1/31, submitted all the paperwork as a qualified shareholder and still no VIN. I blame my state since for some reason there have been ~0 Virginia deliveries.
It likely is in part a state related thing. Deliveries started in Tx and Ca first for obvious reasons. I imagine there’s a plan to send trucks out to states in order of things like concentration of interest/orders. That would be logical. Go drum up some more orders in your state. See if it helps. 😉