Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Makes sense, sales catalyst . Are you implying they are desperate for sales.

If you got hw4, that could be an added value.
I think FSD is a demand lever for sure, you have all these people who sunk upwards of $15k into this and maybe they would have stuck with Tesla regardless but those sunk costs are a good motivator to, when allowed to transfer.

And it helps encourage upgrades and fresh sales, because plenty of people were holding off on upgrading lest they potentially lose their FSD or need to buy it again.

I take issue with portraying it as a fleeting thing and especially then cutting prices massively in the last third of the quarter in which it was for sure definitely 110% only going to be a one-time thing. It should have always been a thing, it should be permanent going forward, Elon didn’t need to say 4.20x during the earnings call that it wasn’t happening again lol

Redundancy is in the compute/software. It is fully compliant.
I remember quite a while ago Tesla started to use the two computing units in AP HW 3
Interesting thread from Rohan on some of the challenges with FSD and EU regulations. Seems to indicate the driver needs to acknowledge certain actions by the car.

Oh man that is disappointing, was so looking forward to getting something cool for the money I paid 5 years ago 😥

What Rohan says is basically the changes in UNECE regulations are not enough to allow FSD outside US because they still don’t allow actions taken by the system without every lane change etc being approved by the driver

I wonder if Tesla will limit FSD licensing to EVs, or if Tesla is interested in perpetuating ICE sales with this tech.
That’s an interesting thought. I think it depends on moral dilemma answer.

Better to save people no matter what they drive or better that EVs are pushed in every way possible so there’s people actually left to save?

Well @RubberToe posted it on this forum and it’s been proven that there are billions of dollars floating around here.
Yup, my typical pump and dump to get the TSLA Fanboys/girls to part with some of their well earned TSLA investment $$$. ;)

RT

P.S. I did sell some TSLA toward the end of last year (perilously close to retirement) and have been looking to invest a bit of it versus having it sit in cash. The ETF seemed like a good place, since I never directly invested in SpaceX, or other private tech startups for that matter. YMMV.

Yup, my typical pump and dump to get the TSLA Fanboys/girls to part with some of their well earned TSLA investment $$$. ;)

RT

P.S. I did sell some TSLA toward the end of last year (perilously close to retirement) and have been looking to invest a bit of it versus having it sit in cash. The ETF seemed like a good place, since I never directly invested in SpaceX, or other private tech startups for that matter. YMMV.
Question as your post seems contradictory to me. You sold a few months ago because close to retirement - understood, self explanatory. But now just a few months later you’re looking to reinvest some back into the market.

Have you unretired?
Did you over sell and now realize you don’t need so much cash on hand?
Or you simply no longer wanted to hold TSLA for whatever reason?
Some or all of the above?

1712329600932.png

How to know just under $170 is today’s target SP without ever following TA, MaxPain etc…. Simply look at TSLA ticker and compare its action to pretty much any other ticker of your choice.

Calling it. Final answer.
Considering the last 5 min of the dump $TSLA just took, i think your final answer is acceptable. Prob just Elon selling again /s

Reactions: SOULPEDL
That’s an interesting thought. I think it depends on moral dilemma answer.

Better to save people no matter what they drive or better that EVs are pushed in every way possible so there’s people actually left to save?

An absurd trolley problem indeed.

Package deal. Obviously there are many who would love to separate those missions from one another. Personally I would view it as a concession/defeat.

Though practically speaking, I don’t think it’s easily doable without some rethinking of the electronics in ICE/hybrids, and part of why they are so favored by legacy is the extremely close relation to the antiquated ICE platforms. It would be a shame to see any engineering resources - Tesla’s or anyone else’s - put to work in such ends.

Would be a fittingly backwards approach that we probably deserve.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: jhm and Krugerrand
Yes. Further, depending on the project, especially very large ones (that are rapidly increasing), the requirement for performance bonds with payment terms also linked to project performance often have much less than 40%, often 20% or so, up front. Depending on those highly variable terms, sometimes progress payments are purely marginal cost-linked and the final payment can often be staged during actual deployment. Because of the increasing deployment size those terms inevitably become more variable.

As a rough rule, depending on specific accounting preferences in part, Deferred Revenue includes the entire paid balance of the entire project price, Unsatisfied Performance Obligations, when used, tend to refer to the cost basis of the project. During all the large projects i have seen there has been a regular classification debate on large project performance. IME, private companies (eg Bechtel) and public companies tend to differ somewhat in accounting, primarily because for private companies periodic earnings reports are irrelevant but cash flow is paramount.

Having helped issue performance bonds for some huge (i.e. >$1 billion) private and public company projects, albeit a long time ago, I have an acute awareness of the massive effect such status has on accounting policy and disclosure.

Tesla is only now reaching the point of several coexisting huge projects. At some point in number of coexisting projects the variability in P&L and recorded performance liability will smooth. Despite that energy projects specifically tend to have customized schedules to adapt to reporting requirements fo the large customers. Those factors mean we will continue to have 'lumpiness' in TE. Even so, once materiality is unquestioned we will have enough data to decode the seeming 'lumpiness'. That said, now there are numerous established utility and large commercial suppliers that have dealt with such issues for decades. Including the foregoing Bechtel, Siemens, Vestas (wind only), General Electric, CATL, BYD etc are a few of the major companies involved in these projects. That list excludes a large number fo major competitors but does illustrate that this field now has a formidable combination of historically important builders and suppliers to energy projects with others that serve only renewables.

Once again, maybe 'too much information' in the general investment thread. I don't think so since Tesla Energy has now surpassed the long-awaited materiality. As Elon has said this will surpass automotive revenue 'soon' but probably will tend towards lower margins.

The last paragraph is crucial. Several of us are forecasting higher margins, Apple-like, for Tesla Energy. "Ain't gonna happen!" Margins will be quite respectable but not free of competition. nearly every major utility provider is working on these projects now. Those which aren't are trying to. Even traditional wholesale equipment providers to utilities, like WEG are entering the fray. Every large scale power plant contractor is doing this field today! Every battery provider, including some exotics are in this market one way or many ways.

Finally, as Tesla says on their own Tesla Energy site:
"A giant battery designed to change the way we power the world—with clean energy, at an enormous scale." and:

>65 countries, giant deployments. Exciting, profitable, complex, accountants dream!
In short, we should not obsess about quarterly car sales and production. There is a much larger market here now. of course, it is not consumer-based so is easy to ignore.
@unk45 Thank you so much for this insight

Reactions: RabidYak and unk45
Sasha argues that much of what companies are doing with AI today is just smoke and mirrors. Witness what happened with how Amazon's "Just Walk Out" system was actually using 1,000 humans in India because the AI didn't work very well.
BS. Thats like saying thousands in Tesla AI team actually review every move FSD makes.

You don't beleive stuff on BI about Tesla, why do that for other companies ?

Reactions: Musskiah
Larry Magid (prominent Bay Area tech writer) wakes up from the absurdity of cutting off one’s nose to spite the face:

Not trying to restart the discussion on whether Elon’s turning away left-leaning buyers in any meaningful numbers, but just that it is possible those who have turned away can find their way back to sanity.