Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reality is that no ones how much of Reuter's article is true or false (Elon was vague about which parts were false). They don't have a great track record, and per the bio Elon wasn't keen on the 25k car... he really wanted to go straight to RT. Others convinced him to do both... he may have changed his mind back to only doing RT.

Still, I'm on the fence... and until we hear something from Tesla, we can't really know.

I would personally like to thank Reuters for creating the conditions necessary for me to finally get off my arse and figure out how to get some shares stuffed into my Roth ... before Wall Street realizes how close autonomous driving is.
Although the couch change supply was a bit low, I feel a lot better having socked those few extra TSLA in a tax shelter here before the expected storm.
If you have not driven the FSD trial, I recommend you do.
All the questions about "Will it run on the X? Or HW3? When does CT get it?" are noise.
We are witnessing Tesla birthing an intelligence of immense potential in the Real Physical World.
Put out your cigarettes and hold on to your butts.

What are the names of the 3 sources?

X is currently THE place to get the truth. It's not perfect but it's better than anything else right now. I also often see things on X before I see them anywhere else, including this thread.
I am assuming the sources wanted to remain anonymous.
The job of the journalists is to look into the sources. Verify that they are who they say they are, work at the business they say they do. And corroborate their stories.

In this case, they apparently got multiple sources saying the same thing.

Good journalism also means asking the company to confirm, deny or clarify. Normally a PR department would do this.

As Tesla has no PR department, I don’t know who responds to Media questions now.

As Reuters didn’t get a response from Tesla, they ran the story.
Once the story ran, Elon (on X) claims Reuters is lying.
I simply suggest it would have been less painful to us investors if Elon/Tesla would respond BEFORE the story runs.
It may have stopped the story from running altogether, or at least allowed Tesla to clarify the facts.

It seems to me, that would happen more easily with a PR department than without.

How so? I've always envisioned the Robotaxi as just the upcoming Tesla compact Gen3 without a steering wheel or pedals. Everything else about the car would be identical to the consumer variant.

What do you think would be different about a dedicated robotaxi design that would not allow it to share a platform with a consumer version? 🤔
Didn't Elon state the RT was futuristic looking but the $25K not so much so as not to alienate buyers?

“How about a Model 3?” I suggested. Kathy rolled her eyes. “I will never buy a car from that man,” she said, referring to Tesla CEO Elon Musk. “You’ve never even met the man,” I said, knowing that wouldn’t help.

Last week Kathy and her husband, Bill, signed a three-year lease on a 2024 Tesla Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive: $331 per month, with a $4,400 down payment. Their modest monthly includes a $7,500 federal tax credit, a 15,000-mile annual mileage allowance and $1,000 incentive from Tesla, since expired.

I mean, technically, she did not buy a car from that man.

Tesla does not allow purchasing leased vehicles.

@FreqFlyer Specifically what do you mean by "this?"

Do I think robotaxis will provide the lowest cost high speed transportation service on the planet, and when it is supplied, many low to middle income people who now own cheap ICE vehicles will choose non-ownership because they will save several thousands of dollars a year on insurance, fuel, maintenance, and vehicle costs? Do I think this will lead society over time to eschew oil consumption? Is this a controversial concept amongst teenagers today? I'm sort of confused about the scenario you provided I think.
What you stated, you really think the masses will change their lifestyle and do what you stated?

Reactions: EQC_ and Musskiah
I would personally like to thank Reuters for creating the conditions necessary for me to finally get off my arse and figure out how to get some shares stuffed into my Roth ... before Wall Street realizes how close autonomous driving is.
Although the couch change supply was a bit low, I feel a lot better having socked those few extra TSLA in a tax shelter here before the expected storm.
If you have not driven the FSD trial, I recommend you do.
All the questions about "Will it run on the X? Or HW3? When does CT get it?" are noise.
We are witnessing Tesla birthing an intelligence of immense potential in the Real Physical World.
Put out your cigarettes and hold on to your butts.
Same...500 shares converted.

I don't think that's the translation at all.
Translation or not, Elon have shared his strong conviction for the 25k car to be ONLY a robotaxi in Walter's book and on an earnings call until the idea was scraped to have the 25k consumer car as a contingency plan. If FSD is solved, then no one should be surprised that the 25k consumer version will be on the chopping blocks.

The reality is that no ones how much of Reuter's article is true or false (Elon was vague about which parts were false). They don't have a great track record, and per the bio Elon wasn't keen on the 25k car... he really wanted to go straight to RT. Others convinced him to do both... he may have changed his mind back to only doing RT.

Still, I'm on the fence... and until we hear something from Tesla, we can't really know.
This is what I came here for. It’s so damn obvious that the article is true and Tesla has prioritized robotaxi for release, and reading everyone here cope about it 🤣

Fact that Elon put 👀 on what Sawyer said should make it obvious for even the most hardcore of Elon fanboys. It’s in the friggen book that Elon has always been obsessed with a robotaxi based on an FSD system that has 1 intervention every 30 miles vs the probably needed 10,000 to be economical when factoring for insurance claims.

The primary risk with robotaxi is regulatory. You can commit all the engineering resources you want to making it come to fruition, but the regulatory part is mostly out of Tesla’s hands.

Yes, there are frameworks in some locations to deal with robotaxis. Yes, they are absent in many, many places. But one can also not expect the current regulatory landscape to remain when Tesla’s robotaxi product is revealed to be as disruptive as we believe it will be. FSD and robotaxi (as envisioned) are a cataclysmic disruption that will/must be slowed (my cynical opinion - but you can see what’s happening with electrification and that’s inherently a gentler/slower disruption). That’s why you’ve got to keep the 25k car until it seems like robotaxi can take off from all angles, even if it seems solved from the technical perspective (Elon’s main focus).

It’s going to be fought tooth and nail.
I'm totally not worried about regulation. If robotaxi works really well then nobody will be able to stop it in any jurisdiction. Everyone gets cheap, reliable, private transportation. The benefits to the citizenry are just too great. It would be like trying to regulate against ice cream and puppies.

Absolutely no. What needs to be posted here are FACTS. Facts WITHOUT opinions, suggestive or otherwise.

Investors don’t want opinion couched as facts. They don’t want suggestive tactics leading them to an agenda answer.

Absolutely, ARK sold this or this. ARK bought this or this but without the narrative. Include a link to one of her interviews explaining her position. The rest we can decide for ourselves. We don’t need Cathy is crazy narrative.

Surely you see the difference.

Long time lurker. I'm a little confused about the purpose of this forum. Even bulls who post a legitimate concern get excoriated. The best investors look for evidence contradicting their thesis, not endless cheerleading (enjoyable as that is).

I understand being annoyed by a relentless barrage of negativity. But there should be some balance.

Moderator edit: You think YOU'RE confused? I am the creator and Sr. Moderator of this thread and forum, and I am confused at how, oh....perhaps 500 of my and other Mods' excoriations of how to and not to behave in this thread appear to be used as fire hydrants for dogs...and cats. Those who aren't Mods tend either to place Repeat Offenders on a blocked-view status or otherwise learn to scan past them. Most lamentably, Mods haven't that luxury.

Welcome to the site! PS: If you see a post with this color, or an orange, or a purple, that's a Mod writing.

Last edited by a moderator:
A vehicle specially optimized for robotaxi use case will have significantly different design objectives, even for stuff that’s not obvious like aero, suspension, and thermal management. Trying to serve both use cases with one design yields a vehicle configuration that’s not optimal for either, much like how attempts by how other automakers to incorporate multiple powertrain designs into the same vehicle and production lines has been a failure.

I’m sure Tesla has designed the next-gen vehicle to be able to be adapted decently to be used as a taxi, but it will be inferior to the dedicated robotaxi design.

This is a rational perspective, no doubt.

I have hopes that the Nextgen will:
a) be introduced as more than one model​
b) can be produced while sharing an unboxed production line. Or, at least any unboxed line can be quickly reconfigured to another model with very little downtime.​

If the Nextgen unboxed production line is designed so that it will easily produce multiple models simultaneously (or after a short changeover) both of us could be right.

Reactions: Karl-Heinz and EQC_
What are the names of the 3 sources?

X is currently THE place to get the truth. It's not perfect but it's better than anything else right now. I also often see things on X before I see them anywhere else, including this thread.
Yes and No. The problem with X, is there is so much noise mixed in with the info. It’s exhausting to weed through it. Rarely am I able to find a bunch of opinions that are mostly signal in one thread. Case in point. I came here today when I saw the stock drop. Then reading about other things I follow on X I saw more about the Reuters article. Lots of pontification and conjecture w/o any grounding, so I came back here. I also replied to one of the posters w my frustrations regarding their speculation just giving rise to a cycle of that, which X lends itself to - whereas here, that get’s stopped pretty quickly.

Translation or not, Elon have shared his strong conviction for the 25k car to be ONLY a robotaxi in Walter's book and on an earnings call until the idea was scraped to have the 25k consumer car as a contingency plan. If FSD is solved, then no one should be surprised that the 25k consumer version will be on the chopping blocks.
The reason people were against it was not because of the progress of FSD, but because they think Tesla needed a car for the masses to sell in large numbers. For a long period of time, that cannot be a RT, even if/when FSD is solved. There are many places, including the US that simply won't allow it.

Even if FSD is solved, investors and consumers will still want a low-cost car to sell en masse and the RT is an added benefit.

What you stated, you really think the masses will change their lifestyle and do what you stated?
Several studies show that Millennials prefer car access over ownership. The trend is clear that ridesharing services are increasing in popularity. If I could hail a ride and watch a movie or work or eat or sleep, especially if I lived in a urban center where parking is a pain in the butt and expensive, I would try it out for several weeks to see if I like it. I would do it for the convenience, not so much the savings.

The transition won't be immediate or complete. I am sure there will still be car ownership. It's just that each robotaxi can replace the utility of several personal vehicles and so the global vehicle fleet won't be nearly as numerous. Therefore the phase out of ICE vehicles will be more rapid.