Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I honestly want a detailed roadmap of the next six years now. AI/NN training is so vague and not tangible enough for us investors. Cells and chemistry was something to research, to learn, to understand.

Elon needs to be able to explain his vision for robotaxis without crapping all over the existing business. No one needs to hear Tesla is worth zero without autonomy or that auto margins don’t matter or gen3 is irrelevant. That is my biggest fear for the robotaxi event; that the biggest headlines will not be about robotaxis but about Musk downplaying auto.

Doesn't battery and drive train impact Robotaxis as well as traditional vehicles?

Design work is finished on those products now. That's what Drew was doing, most notably he was the front man for the 4680 development project. Now it's all about production. That's up to Lars for the pilot line now being created in Austin, and then up to Tom Zhu for additional factory construction.

If I was Drew, I'd feel like I've done my part already. Good time to take a break. When he's rested he'll see what's next. Remember how JB Straubel quit Tesla? Then he came back as a member of the board of directors? I don't think we've seen the last of Drew Baglino.

I have to admit today's news stories have me more rattled than any day in the last 2+ years....MUCH more so than when I watched the stock plummet to $101 or whatever it was. I'm already well underwater on tsla...this doesn't help.

I have to admit I'm a bit rattled too, at least for the prospects of TSLA over the next couple of years. Very long term I'm still confident, but near term I'm concerned.

And I admit my fear might be unfounded, but I do feel it.

If the Gen3 consumer car really is "scrapped" and Elon is pivoting to full on RT's, then I feel the stock will be in for some very hard times for at least a few years. Without the Gen3 consumer version there won't be much growth potential for Tesla "near" term. Sure Megapacks are ramping nicely but its still the beginning of the S curve, its early. We need many more Mega Factories. M3 and MY likely won't ramp much higher than they currently are at, and CT will ramp but only to something like 250K per year, and that won't be for another couple of years due to the 4680's ramping slowly.

Gen3 was the next growth phase of Tesla, without it we don't have much in the near term.

In the long term, sure FSD will one day get solved and RT's will be possible. But even at the point FSD becomes L5 there will still be a LOT of work to get RT's into full swing. The RT's need to be manufactured, their production lines need to be built. RT centers need to be built where they can charge and be cleaned and serviced. The software for the RT services needs to be created. There is a lot of infrastructure work to go along with an RT service, and that all comes after FSD is solved and the RT itself is being made. That's probably many years away yet until we see it contribute to TSLA in any meaningful way. I'd say 2030 at the earliest.

Without the $25K compact, Optimus is honestly our best chance to see TSLA beat our ATH of $415 anytime "soon". And by soon I mean within the next few years. Optimus could be deployed and sold to customers much faster than building an RT service could. But Optimus volume production & sales is still many years away yet too.

Before this month I was fairly confident TSLA would beat its ATH by sometime late next year, once Gen3 was in production and being sold, and once the Fed had well started lowering rates. Now, IF these rumors of the compact being killed are indeed true (IF), then I don't think we'll be seeing $415 again for a great many years. Honestly I couldn't even predict it as the course of Tesla would be so uncertain without Gen3 going into production next year.

Q1 ER will be interesting but I fear it will be disappointing and not very informative. 8/8 should give us a much clearer picture of what the next few years hold for Tesla and TSLA. My gut tells me we won't be getting much clarity until 8/8, and as a TSLA investor I really hate that.

I am starting to wonder …whether I am irrational
Or the market is irrational.

Pardon, are you still under the impression that the market reacts to what it "should" do? You don't need to look at the news to see what the share price is going to do. Just look at the options open interest, that's all that matters. How are the big boys are positioned for options expiring on Friday. This week, they are moving their puts into the money. Period. Full-stop.

“According to sources familiar with the matter, Musk told Tesla’s team in Austin in December 2023 that NV9, an expansion of Gigafactory Texas for the new cheaper next-gen model, was a priority for 2024.

However, the project was recently completely defunded, and many people involved in it were laid off as part of the round of layoffs announced today.

Instead, Musk said that he wanted Tesla to focus on the south expansion of Gigafactory Texas, which is going to house a giant data center for the Robotaxi project.

According to people familiar with the project, it is already behind schedule, and there’s serious doubt that it can be completed by the end of August, which is the timeline Musk has been pushing for.

Shortly after denying the report that the cheaper model was canceled, Musk announced that Tesla would unveil its Robotaxi on August 8th.”

I think a few things are going on right now:

1. I am not sure why the US, other than of course FUD driven anti-EV propaganda, picked this quarter to sort of back off the EV adaption trend. One driver of TSLA price is a belief in the inevitability of EV adoption, and oddly in the US at the moment that belief has taken a quarter off.

2. Despite a ride with FSD V12 available to pretty much anyone who asks, for some reason FSD is not priced in, even though in the relatively short term its worth will be pretty much absolutely proven. I mean, I would be that in some areas where V12 is operable, it is behaving just as well as Waymo. I don's see how it cannot come to full functionality. Yet, its not priced in.

3. Although I doubt it is a direct impact on sales, the third thing that can cause a stock to rise is a belief that the CEO has that magical insight and touch. Elon is just as brilliant as ever if you look at what he actually does with this companies, but most people do not do the research we do here. He's not viewed as stable. The twitter shitposting has that effect.

So without 1, 2, and 3, its like the buying opportunity of this century. The company that makes, far and away the best produce in an emerging market, and with a revolutionary product in the pipeline, and plenty of cash to implement, is treated as if its in trouble.

Talk about the market behaving irrationally!

If you truly believe in FSD and robo-taxis, then yeah, maybe load up the truck on stock and hold on tight (not investment advice, do your own research!). I was watching the latest episode of Batteries Included podcast and agree with Tom's assessment in the last episode. Until you can sleep in the backseat on a long trip, robotaxi's aren't much use outside of heavily dense cities and even then, I can see cities wanting a "cut" to allow this.

I don't need nor think many people will need a robo taxi for a 5-10 minute drive down the store to buy simple stuff in America that is spread out, car dependent, quick, easy, not tiring, and you need to load up the car and still have to get home, etc...

A robo taxi would be nice if I wanted to get to say, Los Angeles and it's a 3 hour drive from San Diego, etc...How much would Tesla charge me for this privilege for that ride? How about a ride to the bay area and that's 10 hours? Should I just fly instead? Would it be cheaper than an Uber? Would Uber/Lyft be dead/out of business once this is in production/live?

The EV adoption tanked across the board because EVs simply cost too much $ for most poor Americans, there are much higher interest rates now (a lot of car buyers have no $$). Some posts I see here have to finance if you browse some of the other threads and some try to convince themselves to get a newer Tesla even though their old one is fine (and they are totally underwater right now as well). With 50% of people disagreeing on everything, EVs = progressive/Biden supporting/political statement so they won't buy it even if it makes sense.

• Informative
Reactions: ShareLofty
Another report on more senior staff being fired (sorry, “leaving to spend time with family”)

“Another story: more heads are rolling at Tesla amid the layoffs. While the narrative Tesla, and Elon, are pushing is that the layoffs are due to "rapid growth resulting in hiring inefficiencies", there's a lot more to it.

On top of Baglino and Patel leaving, we are told that Anthony Thurston, head of the cathode factory project, and reporting to Baglino, has been let go, as well as Amir Mirshahi, Director of Infrastructure.

Elon is apparently unhappy with the 4680 and cathode programs.

It looks like Elon is using the layoffs to clean house - whether it's warranted or not – and focus resources on the one thing he seems to care about right now: self-driving.”
My take is that he's cleaning house on the 4680 to get new blood in there and get it fixed. We need the 4680 to scale fast.

Remember the guy that left not too long ago that said we were doing the DBE wrong? Maybe he was right.

My impression is that some parts of how Cybertruck is built are similar to the unboxed method.

I've walked the CT assembly line. It is not "unboxed" as it was described.

I consider that Cybertruck is partially a dress rehearsal for the unboxed method.

It seems, if anything, Cybertruck might be a dress rehearsal for a stainless steel $25K car, or, Robotaxi

I expect the Robotaxi to be built via the unboxed method, we may find out if that is true 8/8.

Agreed. It should take considerably less space than is being used for the Model Y or the CT. They probably have room for several unboxed production lines.

I didn't expect these layoffs, I was under the impression that the new multi-story car park at Austin was because more staff would be hired.

Tesla does have plans to increase the workforce at GigaTexas. The layoffs won't affect that. They will need more parking.

If a data centre is being built at Austin that doesn't surprise me, if Model 2 was going to be built at Austin md Austin has now pivoted to 100% Robotaxis that also isn't a surprise. That doesn't mean model 2 would not be built at a factory somewhere at sometime in the future.

I don't think you have any idea how much unused space they have at GigaTexas. With the latest addition, the factory will be nearly a mile long. The ground floor section of the CT assembly line was less than a half-mile in length, and likely less than a quarter of the width of the building.

We will not get clears answers for everything at the earnings call, if a Model 2 question is asked, I'll be surprised if we get a definite answer.

It would be appreciated if they didn't spend any time at all on anything beyond the Q1 financials. Maybe reconfirm that they aim to produce 2M vehicles this year. Vaguely answer a few questions. Thank everyone for all the usual stuff.

What would concern me is if the Robotaxi is not unveiled 8/8 or soon after, or a production timeline estimate for it is not provided.

I hope they keep information about timelines for the vehicle and FSD to themselves. Show us what it looks like, talk about how it will change the world. Drop hints that generate more of a buzz about it. Thank everyone for attending.

Edit: corrected length of CT line. Meant to say less than a half mile in length.

Last edited:
“According to sources familiar with the matter, Musk told Tesla’s team in Austin in December 2023 that NV9, an expansion of Gigafactory Texas for the new cheaper next-gen model, was a priority for 2024.

However, the project was recently completely defunded, and many people involved in it were laid off as part of the round of layoffs announced today.

Instead, Musk said that he wanted Tesla to focus on the south expansion of Gigafactory Texas, which is going to house a giant data center for the Robotaxi project.

According to people familiar with the project, it is already behind schedule, and there’s serious doubt that it can be completed by the end of August, which is the timeline Musk has been pushing for.

Shortly after denying the report that the cheaper model was canceled, Musk announced that Tesla would unveil its Robotaxi on August 8th.”

Is there any particular reason you routinely avoid mentioning the source for the quoted content you post?

If you truly believe in FSD and robo-taxis, then yeah, maybe load up the truck on stock and hold on tight (not investment advice, do your own research!). I was watching the latest episode of Batteries Included podcast and agree with Tom's assessment in the last episode. Until you can sleep in the backseat on a long trip, robotaxi's aren't much use outside of heavily dense cities and even then, I can see cities wanting a "cut" to allow this.

I don't need nor think many people will need a robo taxi for a 5-10 minute drive down the store to buy simple stuff in America that is spread out, car dependent, quick, easy, not tiring, and you need to load up the car and still have to get home, etc...

A robo taxi would be nice if I wanted to get to say, Los Angeles and it's a 3 hour drive from San Diego, etc...How much would Tesla charge me for this privilege for that ride? How about a ride to the bay area and that's 10 hours? Should I just fly instead? Would it be cheaper than an Uber? Would Uber/Lyft be dead/out of business once this is in production/live?

The EV adoption tanked across the board because EVs simply cost too much $ for most poor Americans, there are much higher interest rates now (a lot of car buyers have no $$). Some posts I see here have to finance if you browse some of the other threads and some try to convince themselves to get a newer Tesla even though their old one is fine (and they are totally underwater right now as well). With 50% of people disagreeing on everything, EVs = progressive/Biden supporting/political statement so they won't buy it even if it makes sense.

Robotaxis are useful in every scenario that an Uber is useful.

It seems, if anything, Cybertruck might be a dress rehearsal for a stainless steel $25K car, or, Robotaxi
When describing the unboxed process I think Lars used the phase "just like Cybertruck".

When they are attaching the panels at the end of the process it doesn't matter if they are stainless steel or painted, painted might require a bit more care.

My best guess at this stage is the 25K car and the Robotaxi both use the unboxed process and similar components, but they are (now) different enough to require separate lines and only the Robotaxi line is being built at present, it might not be a matter of space. 4680 cell supply, staff, or components could be the limitation.

These staff layoffs also indicate that Tesla is being "frugal" and wants to be "lean and mean". Ramping 2 different Gen3 lines at the same time would not fit that approach. Once we know the Robotaxi business model, we might have more idea about why they are being "frugal".

If this is about robotaxis how do you explain your key policy guy Rohan leaving the company?

Watch Steven Peeters video on YouTube from the last couple of days about FSD approval in Europe being delayed for the indefinite future.

Rohan was the Tesla executive that was working closest on this project. Perhaps he sees this ruling as an insurmountable obstacle. And we know that Elon won't stop for some government rules, he's going to carry on until it is approved.

Meanwhile, Model 2 will be built in Europe (likely at Giga Berlin), and most likely it will have a removable steering wheel and pedals. Robo taxis will wake up all at once with approval. How do Germans say "Après moi, le déluge"? 😄

Robotaxis are useful in every scenario that an Uber is useful.

Plus:

No driver to deal with.​
Multi-car households with reliable access to Robotaxi may decide to become a one-car household and save money, space, time by using Robotaxi for 90% of their local trips.​
All Robotaxis come with a built-in SEP Field Generator. All aspects of maintenance, cleaning, charging, insurance, etc. are covered by the Somebody Else's Problem field.​

Did a search and stumbled over this post on Reddit. Don't have an account there so could not help the poster.

But interesting to see that people want to buy a Tesla because of auto driving!

I dont know why it would be “interesting” that everyone would want a car which can drive itself - that’s not “intersting” it’s crazy obvious. The major automakers are now one more release like v13 away from taking a *sugar* the size of the titanic! There is no amount of cheap design crap you can put in a car to compete with a similar car that can drive itself.

Since that would mean ten years at least of tsla bring able to sell every single car it makes - it could be like ford, just make them all black with no options - if they drive themselves you don’t need any other options.

that would fund a robotaxi plan. i have yet to see they super cheap pricing (like 50 cents a mile) one would need to give up your own car which is like $1 a mile. current taxis are like $3 a mile and the use is limited as one would expect.

well we will see. one possibility is that robotaxis do not affect legacy auto enough, that would make me sad

When describing the unboxed process I think Lars used the phase "just like Cybertruck".

When they are attaching the panels at the end of the process it doesn't matter if they are stainless steel or painted, painted might require a bit more care.

My best guess at this stage is the 25K car and the Robotaxi both use the unboxed process and similar components, but they are (now) different enough to require separate lines and only the Robotaxi line is being built at present, it might not be a matter of space. 4680 cell supply, staff, or components could be the limitation.

These staff layoffs also indicate that Tesla is being "frugal" and wants to be "lean and mean". Ramping 2 different Gen3 lines at the same time would not fit that approach. Once we know the Robotaxi business model, we might have more idea about why they are being "frugal".

It is easy to speculate. Nobody on this side of things knows anything with any degree of certainty. Talking about the possibilities really doesn't change that. Tesla being frugal has never prevented them from building huge factories, producing more cars than anyone ever expected them too, or from putting those who doubted their mission in their place as each new achievement was reached.

My trust is in the folks at Tesla to make good decisions and bring these products to the world as quickly as they can manage to do so. Nothing I've seen discourages me in the slightest from maintaining that point of view.

The only thing I have a smidgen of certainty about is how there is a greater than zero chance we will see surprises from Tesla before the year is over. 🍿

Elon Musk changed his profile picture to one with the word "auto" underneath. And intentionally:

Auto = automobiles?

Auto = autonomous?

Auto = autoeroticism?
Auto- (prefix): "Auto-" is a prefix derived from Greek, meaning "self" or "same." It is used in various compound words to indicate self-operation or self-action, such as "autonomous" (self-governing) or "autopilot" (a device for steering an aircraft or ship).

20240415_213836.jpg

Seems like confirmation that Elon has decided to bet the company again. I think it's unnecessary to take that approach at this point and adds risk that wasn't needed.
Elon has a good track record. Time to decide in / out again for the ride.