Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL. Apparently the "quit period" doesn't apply to announcing RT reveal on 8/8 ;)

There's a lot of....non-factual... mythology about the quiet period.

There's no actual SEC rules requiring one at all around earnings or anything....(there IS one around IPOs however)

But many companies impose their own such period (with varying rules, and various lengths) to minimize the risk of material info being shared in a non-public manner.... ie if you train your execs they're not allowed to discuss anything material between X and Y dates you reduce the risk they do so when meeting with various external parties in the normal course of business.

But if Elon wanted to tell you the exact EPS the day after P&D- or virtually anything else at all about the company- so long as the info was widely/publicly available, that'd be perfectly legal- it'd just likely violate some company rules.

These numbers were just an example. Presumably, Tesla will develop very good data about the risk of unsupervised FSD. They will price it such that they can pay out claims and still make a healthy profit.

But what you say may be true. It may be that unsupervised FSD has double risk of supervised FSD. After all, they say two heads are better than one.
I wasn't trying to critique your example. I was trying to understand how Tesla would charge for unsupervised FSD.

Reactions: Usain
Tesla Bot Journal had this one, which is a little easier to read. I also noticed that a good number of directs have titles that in other companies might seem like “middle management.” Back thread there was a comment about some of the people leaving not being very high up. This suggests otherwise, which isn’t surprising give the emphasis on a flat organization in Tesla.

Just curious...is there anyone who still thinks Tesla should have initiated share buybacks instead of saving all their surplus cash?
Thank you Giga. I have been holding off commenting on this as what is the point of I told you so’s. Even with the 30 billI have seen trolls throw out questions about liquidity issues during this latest SP crash since all the cash must be locked up in China.

Going to stick to my original number. Tesla should start throwing money around when it banks 100 billion. Until then reinvest in operations and stockpile the interest.

In what way is it growing in importance? Please elaborate.

Earnings calls have usually resulted in little significant effect. Often a "good" earnings call has a following drop in the SP. Then, over the next two weeks ;) it recovers. Or not.

Sometimes a "bad" earnings call has done the same, or, the opposite.

I've come to accept that the effect of what happens at an earnings call is just as much a crap-shoot as guessing tomorrow's SP.
Opportunity for Elon and whoever else is present to instill confidence on their path forward… more so given all of the drama since P&D came out.
Some earnings calls do this and others seem less inspiring… I’m hoping for the former.

I assume Dojo 1.5 is Austin and Dojo 2 is Buffalo?

Dojo (1.5?) delayed at Austin

Dojo (2?) going in at Buffalo

This seem to confirm that the Boring tunnel will extend inside the factory, or close to it;-

The problems are compounded by the fact that Musk's tunneling business, the Boring Company, is meant to build a road under the facility for Cybertrucks (also delayed) to autonomously travel across the campus.

With the tunnel unbuilt, the data center's ground floor cannot be laid.

If we assume this reporter has an accurate source of information, which is hard to judge.

Tesla Bot Journal had this one, which is a little easier to read. I also noticed that a good number of directs have titles that in other companies might seem like “middle management.” Back thread there was a comment about some of the people leaving not being very high up. This suggests otherwise, which isn’t surprising give the emphasis on a flat organization in Tesla.

To put some context on this:
The average tenure I see of IT people is 2 to 5 years before moving on. The teams I manage now, my average is probably just about 4 years. My personal record for longest stay at a company is just shy of 9 years.

Tenure at Tesla for people reporting to Elon is fantastic.

Opportunity for Elon and whoever else is present to instill confidence on their path forward… more so given all of the drama since P&D came out.
Some earnings calls do this and others seem less inspiring… I’m hoping for the former.

But, what makes that "important" this time?

This "opportunity" exists at every earnings call and folks expecting juicy tidbits are generally disappointed.

Personally, I support them keeping to themselves most of the things people are wanting to hear at every EC.

Update us on the quarter, provide vague answers to the SAY questions and to the duller analysts. Maybe get an innocuous question answered, but not "breaking news" or anything earth-shattering.

To put some context on this:
The average tenure I see of IT people is 2 to 5 years before moving on. The teams I manage now, my average is probably just about 4 years. My personal record for longest stay at a company is just shy of 9 years.

Tenure at Tesla for people reporting to Elon is fantastic.

Could some of this also be a function of very valuable RSUs where it'd be almost financially idiotic to leave? We have a family friend at Tesla who doesn't want to leave because their stock is worth too much $$ (not sure what she feels now).

Like at Nvidia now, everyone who's been there when the RSU prices of say 1-2 years are sitting on a fair amount of $$ as long as they don't get fired (nvidia is also ranked as one of the best places to work) so staying is probably easier. They have grants given to them when they were valued at $100-$200 (some far lower in the $40), now the stock is at $800+.

If a company stagnates vs. the overall market/economy, other companies doing better, folks are less likely to stick around simply due to work effort != rewards. Remember we're not talking about old companies with no stock grants.

Reactions: ShareLofty