Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
now that the ER is out and SP is stabilized (actually goes up from 145 to 150), I feel a little bit relaxed to post. I personally think that the $25,000 vehicle is not a very good idea, at least using current technology (i.e., battery).
1. For $25,000, the performance of the car will be much lower than Model 3 RW, and mostly importantly, use a small battery and thus a very low range.
2. For some reason Chinese car makers are already able to sell cars in that range, or even lower. I don't see Tesla can take any advantage on that segment (in China) Many Chinese investors are yelling that sell cheap car in China only lower the brand name and image.
3. The initial capital expense is large, but the margin is low.
4. I just learned that even Toyota Corolla SE cost $28000 in Bay Area, CA. If Tesla keep improving the cost of model 3 and can have a 10-ish% margin to sell it at $30000, Model 3 along will be able to dominate the market. I wonder is it possible.
Thanks, but I disagree. Whatever they can COGS the Model 3 at, it's easy to imagine an urban vehicle that has 2/3 the acceleration, 2/3 the entertainment, 2/3 the range, 2/3 the storage, and a more economical production model, which should cost ~2/3 as much. So if the 3 COGS for $30 K, then the new model can be $20 K. In other words, price will be relatively better than whatever they can do with the 3, especially since the volume will be higher.

I'm confident there will be a market for an inexpensive, US- / Euro- made, smart EV despite imminent Chinese imports. Not all 10's of millions of NA and Euro ICE buyers will switch to a Chinese EV if Tesla has an offering.

Last edited:
I have just a bit of money left in my bank account for me to live for the next months, other than what I have invested, but my finger is itching to just dump it all here and go live under a bridge or something
While I have a bit of money left, this conference call may have just saved me from getting a call...
hope the SP stays up! I hope to sleep a bit better tonight.

And has anyone heard anything from our Giga Shanghai transplant recently? Gotta be something going on with him I would think.

"There a bunch of new markets...for selling cars...we will see some acceleration of that."

Supervised autonomy coming in any market that will approve of it including China.

@unk45 will finally get his Model 3 in Brazil to drive it in the beach front with a Caipirinha in his hand while appreciating Christ the Redeemer in a nice sunset