Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
šŸ„©Meat Kevin re-buys TSLA. šŸ¤£ EDIT: but still not sharing the link.

They already have the Model X, if they could cut costs on that with a new cheaper version of it (still keep the premium one), give it a solid refresh then probably there simplest way to take on this market.

Hope they make a right hand drive version first. Apparently, some people here donā€™t have their in-laws staying over 6 months at a time and needing a 7 seater EV šŸ™„

Last edited:
Unless, of course, the Tesla App goes live on 8/8 and FSD is so good by EOY or early 2025, they flip the switch. FSD won't wait for Robotaxis. When the data is irrefutable, it happens "now." #ChatFSDmoment 2024

@DarkandStormy I await your troll snark with bated breath
Totally possible. I swear just a week ago there were very few of us who believed anything significant would happen with FSD anytime this year or next. The most liberal person I know on this forum @Usain didn't think it would get going until next year. It still could take that and longer, who knows. But to shoot down the vision and dream was a bit like water in the face.

Moving on, I'm really glad we've checked that pessimism at the door. Right? We can clean cars and chew gum, right? Charge and eat? Drive and fart? Just checking...

Totally possible. I swear just a week ago there were very few of us who believed anything significant would happen with FSD anytime this year or next. The most liberal person I know on this forum @Usain didn't think it would get going until next year. It still could take that and longer, who knows. But to shoot down the vision and dream was a bit like water in the face.

Moving on, I'm really glad we've checked that pessimism at the door. Right? We can clean cars and chew gum, right? Charge and eat? Drive and fart? Just checking...
Sometimes I do all these things simultaneously

We havenĀ“t had any technical analysis here for a while.. I like this one:

I donĀ“t believe in TA, only in its indirect effect when enough people in the market do ;). So I thought a good idea to spread the idea
Protected by the 5 year old trendline, that's actually a thing?? If you draw enough lines in a chart going back 5 years, you will eventually come across a similarity. šŸ˜µā€šŸ’«

After reflecting on history at the Austin factory there was a time when there were 2 Model Y lines:-
  • Model Y 2170 (Still running)
  • Model Y 4680 (stopped)
When those 2 Model Y lines were running the process probably looked like this:-
  • Body Shop - separate
  • Paint - combined
  • Marriage - separate
  • GA - combined.
IMO this is a likely template for any new models use the old 4680 Model Y line, and the process above.

So the original plan might have looked like:-
  • 2 Cybertruck lines - 4680
  • 2 Model Y lines - 4680 or 2170
  • 1 unboxed Cybercab line - 4680 (new)
  • 1 unboxed compact hatch line - new paint shop - 4680/LFP (new)
  • 1 unboxed compact van line? - new paint shop - 4680/LFP (new)
And the revised plan might be:-
  • 2 Cybertruck lines - 4680
  • 1 Model Y line - 4680 or 2170
  • 1 unboxed Cybercab line - 4680 (new)
  • 1 compact hatch(/van) line - 4680/2170/LFP (in part old Model Y 4680 line)
So overall there are now 5 lines rather than 7, some equipment from the old 4680 Model Y line can be reused, and there is no need to build a new paint shop at this stage.

In the short/medium term the compact hatch is a hedge against the unboxed process for the Robotaxi not working out, or falling behind schedule.

The van is more of an educated hunch, a line is being repurposed to build 2 new vehicles, or the option of a second vehicle is being kept open. So the van might not happen, the hunch is based on multiple vehicles being mentioned.

Where my thinking has changed is the existing 2170 Model Y line may or may not have changes to migrate to 800V/48V. As Lars stated previously, they already have supply chains in place for 12V. Or it may make sense to start cranking out the new vehicles first before refreshing Model Y.

I think Shanghai has 2 Model Y lines, one of them could be repurposed to build the new models, while still retaining the ability to build Model Y if necessary. And / or new body shop and marriage stations can be added.

Berlin might only have one Model Y line, but the overall process is similar to spinning up a new Model Y line.

I think they will leave Fremont largely untouched except for the Model Y refresh.

Ahem, I have averred repeatedly since I joined here at the beginning of 2018 and never gainsaid in the interim that 2024 would be the year for FSD. šŸ˜Ž

Of course the price of that insight was to learn technology forecasting the hard way, by being wildly early to somewhat early in my educational and career choices.

With all due respect, I donĀ“t follow you here. Your points one and two dont change the product breadth, why do we need 3 versions of the Y and even bigger ones than currently? Agree with three and four.
The first "off-road" variant would only expand breadth a little, but could get to market quickly. It could have a different name, despite the similar sheet metal underneath.

The SUV-shaped variant would expand breadth a lot. Similar to a jump from RAV4 over Highlander all the way to Grand Highlander in Toyota-land. That wouldn't reach market as soon, but could be revealed alongside the Y refresh and the off-road variant.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hobbes
Ahem, I have averred repeatedly since I joined here at the beginning of 2018 and never gainsaid in the interim that 2024 would be the year for FSD. šŸ˜Ž

Of course the price of that insight was to learn technology forecasting the hard way, by being wildly early to somewhat early in my educational and career choices.
I was dragging there for a while until I saw then drove with V12. I recall WholeMars was the only one showing us, and it wasn't Elon.

I was sold from then on that this was gonna be a steeper curve. Everything got pulled in for me. I'm seeing it's possible I could hire Optimus and start my training within a couple years. I need Beta, where do I sign up?

I don't think even my generation or any that followed have ever experienced such a profound change in Tech. Electricity, or Radio maybe came close. TV was just a Complicated Radio.

Cell Phones maybe? But even those weren't a far a leap from Laptops and PCs with... Smart Radios.

Nope, this it. And we made it!
(Almost)
Plus... this is the furthest in the Future that I have EVER been. It's crazy! You'd have to top this with a Quantum Drive and a new Planet. Alien Life would also be cool if this is a simulation?

We havenĀ“t had any technical analysis here for a while.. I like this one:

I donĀ“t believe in TA, only in its indirect effect when enough people in the market do ;). So I thought a good idea to spread the idea
I hope that 320 gets here before my truck because I don't want to have to sell shares for less than 300.