Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully, I made a huge contribution in the training data today. I had to make a very hard brake while on FSD supervised. My car wanted to accelerate into the roundabout right when a car on the roundabout was approaching. I prevented a 100% crash if had let FSD do its thing.

I don’t blame anyone but was just thinking about the training data this incident could generate.

Be careful out there.

So what does the recent NHSTA mean with respect to Tesla’s liability in these accidents? Do we need to worry about big payouts in legal cases?

Depends what their ultimate finding is. If in the end they determine there was a foreseeable safety defect (no matter how many L2 disclaimers Tesla threw up) that led to accidents then potentially yes- in at least some US states.

I'll just say I don't love what the fact they settled the Walter Huang case says about the situation- esp. in light to Elons own remarks about how Tesla would never settle a case when they weren't in the wrong.

Like, who doesn't want humanity to go to Mars?
Some may want to send a large fraction similarly to this classic t-shirt:

IMG_0629.jpeg

I always find these startup/Tesla small/weak comments idiotic/simply wrong. Elon Musk is one of the richest people in the world (3rd), Tesla is worth nearly more than every other car maker combined. Take Toyota out and it's bigger than everyone else combined probably. So insecure to have to constantly post meaningless things. If Tesla makes it, you/Elon/TSLA holders will do well in and of itself.

The stock drops a few bucks today and you/they think they are a 98lb weakling? I don't know what you're smoking, but I'd like some.

Wasn't meant to indicate Tesla as weak against other companies. Only against Mr. Market and other 600 pound gorillas that target volatile stocks and those playing them for short term fun and profit.

But, of course, you wouldn't get any reference as subtle as this, not being an investor, nor having spent much time on the forum. Further, by thinking this was in reference only to today's gain or loss without consideration of options that expire today and who might want to "adjust" things so they maximize their gains and/or reduce losses it would be easy to miss the humor.

Thanks just the same for taking time to fill us in on what we already know.

Move along now, nothing to see here.

Last edited:
Depends what their ultimate finding is. If in the end they determine there was a foreseeable safety defect (no matter how many L2 disclaimers Tesla threw up) that led to accidents then potentially yes- in at least some US states.

I'll just say I don't love what the fact they settled the Walter Huang case says about the situation- esp. in light to Elons own remarks about how Tesla would never settle a case when they weren't in the wrong.
I hear your sentiments. I would like to make the distinction that Walter Huang was on Autopilot which clearly had problems identifying stationary objects. I'm not so sure this will be the case with FSD, in fact, quite the contrary. I am much less concerned as FSD continues to accrue miles without a single fatality. Maybe that's just me.

Hopefully, I made a huge contribution in the training data today. I had to make a very hard brake while on FSD supervised. My car wanted to accelerate into the roundabout right when a car on the roundabout was approaching. I prevented a 100% crash if had let FSD do its thing.

I don’t blame anyone but was just thinking about the training data this incident could generate.

Be careful out there.
Just driving in Bklyn and experienced a couple of dangerous situations on an half hour drive. FSD was quite good most of the time
but then took a couple of very wide wild turns after overiding the GPS a couple of times. Also was creeping up on a car that was double parked
and looked like it was going to sideswipe it. Too close for comfort. So, Yes be very attentive in urban areas.

Tesla energy is the biggest bullish reason for me honestly, the margins will remain ridiculous for a very long period of time.

Competition from CATL and BYD is not compatible with long term “ridiculous” margins. They are far more vertically integrated than Tesla in stationary storage and are used to competing on price. The good news is volumes will explode so much so that even gross margins of 20% will move the needle.

The largest storage project in the U.S. came online in January in CA of places with no Tesla participation.

The thing is most of these crashes are in old ap code which doesn't identify stationary objects well. Fsd stack runs circle around old AP(which is free). I know old ap will run into construction cones most of the time if a lane switch is needed. In fact I don't even think ap will allow lane switching. I believe it's just people falling asleep or watching TV when it's just tacc running.

Competition from CATL and BYD is not compatible with long term “ridiculous” margins. They are far more vertically integrated than Tesla in stationary storage and are used to competing on price. The good news is volumes will explode so much so that even gross margins of 20% will move the needle.

The largest storage project in the U.S. came online in January in CA of places with no Tesla participation.
yes margins will compress significantly when USA based battery capacity comes online next year through 2027. They'll get IRA for making the batteries, should be cost competitive with Asia but Asian supplies will keep things falling. Right now though, rosy. Even next year. 2026...I am not sure energy margins stay high into 2026.

Re NHTSA Press

Interesting summary :

Tesla agree that there is an issue to recall at the end of the year in 2023 their FSD software , on autopilot they added additional nags and now some of what they presented to Tesla is being published.

NHTSA now : are saying they're going to monitor whether Tesla's fix, actually fixed it.

All pretty normal , how to make news into headlines !!!

Help received from Wes ex Tesla FSD employee 48 min mark

Surprised this is happening so soon. Let see how long it takes for approval/deployment.

This is not at all anything official, just an open minded officer from Sweden informing themselves what FSD can do. Good PR on Tesla’s side, but Sweden as well as the rest of Europe depends on UNECE moving ahead and that will take years still Ian afraid.

Not sure why Reuters has this as their top story. Im sure recall queries happen regularly to all auto makers. I guess having Tesla in the headline generates a lot more clicks.
Remember the last time Reuters published BS?

Oh, that was an options expiry Friday too. What a coincidence.

Last edited:
Has nobody really posted this????

Like... holy cow. Is that not an admission that we are about to see FSD beta in China AND Europe? Certainly this year.
Thats incredible news, both for owners and for investors. I stand by my belief that this not only increases subscription revenue, but vehicle sales. Even if you cant afford FSD now, why would you lock yourself out of a potential upgrade by being any other brand?
Was posted two above yours 🙄

And as I said above, nothing official at all it all depends on UNECE changing their rules. Will take years until we can have the same as the US :(