Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla UK T0 Tyre Directive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Due to a tracking issue I'm in the market for new front tyres for my Model 3. I called Costco earlier today to get a price on four CrossClimate 2's, and was told that Tesla has recently issued a directive that prohibits them from fitting anything that isn't T0. This was confirmed by two people, and they have said they would need a letter from Tesla UK before they could proceed (but were otherwise happy to do it).

Unfortunately as Michelin don't have a CrossClimate T0 the only option they could actually fit immediately is the Pilot Sport T0 version.

I know there's a number of folk here that have CrossClimate's fitted to their Model 3, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this directive? Perhaps @Will Fealey has heard something on the TOC grapevine?

Edited to add: I have emailed my local service centre with the following questions:
  • Can you confirm the existence of such a T0 tyre directive?
  • If so, can you explain the reasons for it and why all-weather & winter tyres are being prohibited? Please also provide a copy.
  • If not, please provide a formal letter stating that CrossClimate tyres may be fitted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stuart Watson
I get that Tesla could advise but since when did they have the right/power to control what you do and don't do with a car you own?

BTW what does "T0" actually refer to?
It’s an original equipment marking. Tesla have T0, T1, T2 and T3.

Just means the tyre specification is identical or as close as possible to the ones the car is delivered with. I believe it specifies various features or compound per tyre brand. The T0 hankook ventus’ have foam noise suppression inserts and a specific compound for example.

The issue is finding T marked tyres is like finding hens teeth, and really slims down your options hugely… which could be what they want in the long run (buy them from us not somewhere else)…

Reactions: Toblerone
My brother recently had this from BlackCircles (camskill don't stock the 20's in the correct size)
He ordered some Pilot Sport and got an email warning him that he had selected a none tesla approved tyre and they may not be suitable.
They delivered them anyway (we have fitting machines) but I'm not sure if they would intercept it if you had chosen a fitted price.
Even if they did you could just manually select the sizes and don't specify a tesla if asked. Then just make sure you have some jacking pucks in case the chosen garage doesn't have any.
Maybe this isn't just a Tesla thing, could be other manufacturers all doing it? Either way, it's a load of crap, as long as the size, weight and speed ratings are good there's no issue, and the foam strip in the T tyres makes no discernible difference at all.

To be clear - I am well aware there are other suppliers available (I have prices from them already), that isn't the purpose of this thread. Costco are well known for being particularly strict with their fitting, and so the fact that others are prepared to do so isn't in itself relevant here.

My question is specifically whether anyone has seen evidence of this apparent directive from Tesla UK? Has anyone had a similar discussion with their local Costco tyre shop?

Just piggybacking on this as I haven't found an answer before, but I was looking for All season tyres for a potential change of my future MY, and couldn't find any eligible ones on Kwickfit (they have either full Summer or Winter) - in 19".

Anyone found something accepted for Gemini wheels. I believe those are 255/45/19?

I'm keen to see what this is all about as I've had Cross Climate+ on my 2019 M3P (on 18s) for the last couple of years and they've been great. They've done around 14000 miles and plenty still to go. CC2 were my next target tyres so if there is something new that could affect insurance, then I guess we all need to know. It all sounds a bit BS to me but I'm no expert at all. On my last SC visit a few weeks back they did mention that my tyres were "not Tesla spec" but couldn't explain further what that actually meant! Surely if a tyre is speed and weight rated and fits the rim correctly, then it should be OK? Are they suggesting that the motor torque is too much for some tyres? I can't think what else it might be.

Reactions: Rustybkts
Will pop an update here if I hear anything back from Tesla.

I've also reached out to Costco directly with similar questions, their HQ said someone from the local branch management should come back to me tomorrow. Shall see what they have to say!

I'm keen to see what this is all about as I've had Cross Climate+ on my 2019 M3P (on 18s) for the last couple of years and they've been great. They've done around 14000 miles and plenty still to go. CC2 were my next target tyres so if there is something new that could affect insurance, then I guess we all need to know. It all sounds a bit BS to me but I'm no expert at all. On my last SC visit a few weeks back they did mention that my tyres were "not Tesla spec" but couldn't explain further what that actually meant! Surely if a tyre is speed and weight rated and fits the rim correctly, then it should be OK? Are they suggesting that the motor torque is too much for some tyres? I can't think what else it might be.

When my car was in the Service Centre having brake service etc it was on non OEM winter tyres and nobody mentioned any issues.